Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Wikiposts

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Old Dec 8th 2012, 1:55 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Originally Posted by Nutek
I am the caring face of the IT Dept.
"No one else has reported that problem. It ought to be fine. If it happens again make a note of it."
Old Dec 8th 2012, 2:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
"No one else has reported that problem. It ought to be fine. If it happens again make a note of it."
Do you work next to me???
Old Dec 8th 2012, 2:21 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Do you work next to me???
It's a universal truth.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 2:23 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried rebooting it?
Old Dec 8th 2012, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Have you tried rebooting it?

Why can't I get paid to say stuff like that?
Old Dec 8th 2012, 2:30 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We are a house divided.
Me - Happy Christmas (Merry at a pinch)
Her - Happy Holidays.
Me - Charity Christmas cards with handwrittend greeting/note/letter that I send to "my" friends
Her - pre-printed photo card from snapfish or wherever that she sends to "her" friends.

The "overlap" friends get her card, which is where the problems begin...every year we have the holidays vs Christmas battle. Last year we settled it with nerf guns (guess who won). This year, the battle never really arose - she found a card that we could add quite a chunk of text to. She wrote it and emailed me to proof read. All looked good. Happy Christmas and all the right trimmings. I emailed approval and she ordered. I should have known better....it was only when I went on the website later that I realized that the card design has Happy Holidays ghost written in huge font across the whole card. Curses, she got me this year
Old Dec 8th 2012, 2:32 am

Why can't I get paid to say stuff like that?
I think my wife does, although I try not to ask too many questions about her work as I get confused easily....
Old Dec 8th 2012, 2:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

We are a house divided.
Me - Happy Christmas (Merry at a pinch)
Her - Happy Holidays.
Me - Charity Christmas cards with handwrittend greeting/note/letter that I send to "my" friends
Her - pre-printed photo card from snapfish or wherever that she sends to "her" friends.

The "overlap" friends get her card, which is where the problems begin...every year we have the holidays vs Christmas battle. Last year we settled it with nerf guns (guess who won). This year, the battle never really arose - she found a card that we could add quite a chunk of text to. She wrote it and emailed me to proof read. All looked good. Happy Christmas and all the right trimmings. I emailed approval and she ordered. I should have known better....it was only when I went on the website later that I realized that the card design has Happy Holidays ghost written in huge font across the whole card. Curses, she got me this year
I still don't get the big deal though (not you personally)

Christmas....meaning the celebration of Christ's birth, so it is a christian holiday and yet so many on here say they are not christians!
Old Dec 8th 2012, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

My Dad died a week before Christmas, back in 1987, so I have been on "Full Miz" around this time, ever since.

However, here's the Osmond and Williams Brothers singing "Happy Holidays" whilst wearing colourful sweaters to put you in the mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_XmxWUdIxQ

I do prefer "Merry Christmas" though...especially when it pisses someone off.

Jim.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 2:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
My Dad died a week before Christmas, back in 1987, so I have been on "Full Miz" around this time, ever since.

However, here's the Osmond and Williams Brothers singing "Happy Holidays" whilst wearing colourful sweaters to put you in the mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_XmxWUdIxQ

I do prefer "Merry Christmas" though...especially when it pisses someone off.

Jim.

Check post #24...the original is the best!
Old Dec 8th 2012, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I still don't get the big deal though (not you personally)

Christmas....meaning the celebration of Christ's birth, so it is a christian holiday and yet so many on here say they are not christians!
I don't know why it provokes such strong reactions, but it certainly seems to.

For me, I think its just what you're brought up with. We'd never heard of Happy Holidays when we were kids. Or until the last 10 years or so probably. I was brought up Christian, but haven't been a regular churchgoer for over 40 years - my family (ie mother) had a falling out with the church for their un-christian treatment of her family in a time of need. But it'll still always be Christmas, not Holidays.

Happy Holidays has a nails/blackboard effect on me, not for any religious reasons - just because it doesn't sound right. I don't throw my toys out the pram if anyone says it to me; I just can't imagine ever saying it to someone else (although I also recall saying that about "y'all", and that is starting to creep out now and then...). And when its written, it just "looks" too pc. And when its sent on a card to folks in the UK, it just "looks" too American! And thats the 3rd sentence I've started with "And" in one post...
Old Dec 8th 2012, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

I think of the Holidays from Thanksgiving to NYD so I just say Happy Holidays. If it's Christmas Day I say Merry Christmas or NYD I say Happy New Year.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 3:20 am
Account Closed

I don't know why it provokes such strong reactions, but it certainly seems to.

For me, I think its just what you're brought up with. We'd never heard of Happy Holidays when we were kids. Or until the last 10 years or so probably. I was brought up Christian, but haven't been a regular churchgoer for over 40 years - my family (ie mother) had a falling out with the church for their un-christian treatment of her family in a time of need. But it'll still always be Christmas, not Holidays.

Happy Holidays has a nails/blackboard effect on me, not for any religious reasons - just because it doesn't sound right. I don't throw my toys out the pram if anyone says it to me; I just can't imagine ever saying it to someone else (although I also recall saying that about "y'all", and that is starting to creep out now and then...). And when its written, it just "looks" too pc. And when its sent on a card to folks in the UK, it just "looks" too American! And thats the 3rd sentence I've started with "And" in one post...

That's it though, why such a strong reaction. It's not like we've all been banned from saying what we want is it......
Old Dec 8th 2012, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

My workplace has banned us from saying Merry Christmas. I think that is why some have such a strong reaction.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 3:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tuxedocat
My workplace has banned us from saying Merry Christmas. I think that is why some have such a strong reaction.
Really??? Wow..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.