Meet in DFW

Old Apr 19th 2008, 3:47 am
Just Joined

mancshome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Meet in DFW

Hi

I couldnt be bothered to read thru 96 msgs, so thought i post this instead.

Did the DFW group ever meet?

Does anyone know where I can find a decent doner or chippie around here?

It be great to meet some ex pats since I am getiing pretty home sick.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Nigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really nice
Default Re: Meet in DFW

If you want a great curry Addison has a place called the Clay Pit, on Belt line West of the Tollway? As for Doner, there is a small shop on the South East corner of Montford and Belt line.

Other comfort foods are at Kroger on Coit and Arapho. They carry a small 4 foot section..........It's where I head to when the call takes me. Other wise I just make my own, Fry my own cod and make my own fag##ts...........Can't even use that word here!

Hope that helps a little.

Nigs
Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mancshome
Hi

I couldnt be bothered to read thru 96 msgs, so thought i post this instead.

Did the DFW group ever meet?

Does anyone know where I can find a decent doner or chippie around here?

It be great to meet some ex pats since I am getiing pretty home sick.
I have only been here a few months too, when i fancied a kebab, my hubby told me to ask for a gyro. It is more or less the same, i love garlic sauce with mine, alas, i have to make my own, but it satisfies that yearn.

Yep, i'm afraid if you want fish and chips, you have to do that too, i had never made a battered fish till i came here i found a recipe online from Be-Ro, it is delish!

Hope that helps!
Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Nigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really nice

OK, quick cooking tip Shazza, add 1 to 5 ratio of corn starch/flour to the batter and make 24 hrs before. Re-mix and use small portions of cod 4-5 ozs to batter to really get it crisp. Chippes back home have more heat than domestic fryers and when over loaded (more than two pieces)it gets soggy.

If cooking for more than one, use the oven at 325f/180c (this is dad I know how to convert isn't it?) with foil on the base and two layers of kitchen paper on a cookie sheet. Add the cooked fish slightly light in color to the oven and wait 2 minutes for the fryer to heat up.

If you get any other things you need help with e-mail me and I'll try and help you out. 20 Years as a chef saves my sanity over here some days!
Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

That should read Bad not sad........Sorry long day!!!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

shazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nigs
OK, quick cooking tip Shazza, add 1 to 5 ratio of corn starch/flour to the batter and make 24 hrs before. Re-mix and use small portions of cod 4-5 ozs to batter to really get it crisp. Chippes back home have more heat than domestic fryers and when over loaded (more than two pieces)it gets soggy.

If cooking for more than one, use the oven at 325f/180c (this is dad I know how to convert isn't it?) with foil on the base and two layers of kitchen paper on a cookie sheet. Add the cooked fish slightly light in color to the oven and wait 2 minutes for the fryer to heat up.

If you get any other things you need help with e-mail me and I'll try and help you out. 20 Years as a chef saves my sanity over here some days!
Thanks for the tip Nigs, i am going to try that one and compare it with my Be-Ro one, i don't know what it is about that little Be-Ro book, but i always finish up going back to it. Think it has a lot to do with childhood memories!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

I have a tattered old Dealia Smith I keep as my cooking Bible!
I know where you are coming from all too well.

Good Luck!