Medicare time!

Old Nov 8th 2019, 7:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare time!

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Dear Lord, after reading this thread I don't know how you all manage to negotiate healthcare there. I had a headache by the third post.
It sounds a nightmare doesn't it?!
Old Nov 8th 2019, 1:33 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vespucci
Or will you be able to switch back at all. If you develop certain medical conditions you may fail "underwriting" and not be able to switch back.
And (anecdotally) I’ve heard that it’s not unknown for folks between the ages of 65 and <death> to sometimes develop certain medical conditions.
Old Nov 14th 2019, 9:01 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
To revisit this Medicare thread, my HI agent has always recommended Medicare Supplement plans as opposed to Advantage plans, but I have just heard from him this week about a zero dollar premium Aetna plan that utilizes the Aetna National PPO network and combines medical, prescription, dental, vision, hearing. He says that there will be more exposure for deductibles and copays, but accounting for premium savings and one's individual situation, it may pay to make the switch. So I am currently reading up on the plan to see if it will work for me. But it is apparently something for Medicare users to look into.
Originally Posted by robin1234

One thing to watch with switching from Medicare + Medicare Supplement to Medicare Advantage, is, if at some time in the future, you choose to switch back to M. supplement, will you be hit by a penalty on the premium for the supplement (as compared with the premium you would have been paying, had you stayed with the supplement plan.)
Just wanted to report back on further research on the Aetna plan I cited above. First, unlike some Advantage plans, it would cover any medical services required on a trip to the UK; the Advantage plan has a zero premium, but one continues to pay Medicare Part B premiums; and there is no penalty if one switches back to a conventional "medigap" coverage during the annual open enrollment period, unless one was in a grandfathered plan that no longer exists (as I am right now), in which case you'd be out of luck!
Old Nov 14th 2019, 9:51 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to report back on further research on the Aetna plan I cited above. First, unlike some Advantage plans, it would cover any medical services required on a trip to the UK;
There is one major fly in the ointment with those plans which cover treatment in the UK, mine does as well. The UK will not give you an itemized invoice, for example they will invoice "treat broken leg £10,000". The US insurer will ask for an itemized invoice before they reimburse you. It then becomes a nightmare to sort out.

Old Nov 19th 2019, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Taking a look at the Advantage plans on offer here: medicare.gov has an excellent Advantage plan comparison tool. There are really only two companies to choose from in this geographic area. We are currently with the biggest player, but the other guys are clearly making an effort to compete and pull people over. The other company are offering some Dental cover, which is attractive if you have a mouth fitted with British Teeth. Reading the fine print, I see that Dental cover is only available from "in-network" practitioners, as listed in the Provider Directory. So off to their website to check the Dental Provider Directory, and I see it is "Coming Soon". Sigh.

When I signed up with my dentist in the US, he gave me a sales pitch in his sales presentation room which included a spreadsheet displayed on a large LCD screen with all options listed, total $11,000. Having recently arrived from the UK, this was of course a different experience to my NHS dentist. I declined all suggested treatment except for an extraction that I had already been recommended by a dentist in Glasgow earlier that year. A decision I do not regret 10 years later, as my British Fillings have yet to crumble. I should say that as well as a good salesperson, my dentist is also a very good although pricey dentist. I doubt if he will be appearing in the "Coming Soon" Provider Directory.

Old Nov 19th 2019, 12:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Was truly surprised to see a notice at the eye doctor's yesterday that as of January, 2020 there will be a Medicard deductible of $180. Whoa!
Old Dec 17th 2019, 3:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

So before I even begin this new adventure the Medicare monthly reduction from my SS check will now be $10 more than originally stated!
Retirement date is this Friday! Am i excited..you bet!
Old Dec 17th 2019, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
So before I even begin this new adventure the Medicare monthly reduction from my SS check will now be $10 more than originally stated!
Retirement date is this Friday! Am i excited..you bet!
Are you still planning to move to different state for retirement?
Old Dec 17th 2019, 2:01 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Dear Lord, after reading this thread I don't know how you all manage to negotiate healthcare there. I had a headache by the third post.
Well, it’s really all about choice. You choose the plan you want according to what works for you. Once you decide, you generally get excellent health care. You can change within a window of time every year if you do not like your plan. DH and I have had wonderful care. No complaints.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph

Are you still planning to move to different state for retirement?
It's still very much in the thinking stage. But at least we will have more time to visit different areas!
Old Dec 17th 2019, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to report back on further research on the Aetna plan I cited above. First, unlike some Advantage plans, it would cover any medical services required on a trip to the UK; the Advantage plan has a zero premium, but one continues to pay Medicare Part B premiums; and there is no penalty if one switches back to a conventional "medigap" coverage during the annual open enrollment period, unless one was in a grandfathered plan that no longer exists (as I am right now), in which case you'd be out of luck!
You need to check how much your advantage plan would cover.

I have a supplemental plan with Blue Shield and although they reply 'yes we do' if asked if they cover treatment abroad, if you ask further mine was only up to 50K USD; that would not cover repatriation or anything very severe. I always take out separate travel insurance.
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

BennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
I prefer to stay with regular Medicare and buy a supplement versus going with an Advantage Plan which may be limited on which doctors will accept. You are locked in for a year and if planning to move during that time you could end up outside the area of coverage for an advantage plan. In my case advantage is a non issue as I have a free Medicare supplement from military retirement.
I appreciate that you recently posted a reply to me on the military and WEP and I’m still investing that, I also found this old post on Medicare so thought I’d seek your advice again.
I am just about to hit sixty and am covered with TriCare Prime .... Spouse is the same as you on TriCare for life.
so am I correct in saying that I won’t require an advantage plan ?.. like you I’d prefer not to have one if I could avoid. Also seems like I’ll have to switch from prime to TriCare for life when MediCare kicks in ?
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BennyBall
I appreciate that you recently posted a reply to me on the military and WEP and I’m still investing that, I also found this old post on Medicare so thought I’d seek your advice again.
I am just about to hit sixty and am covered with TriCare Prime .... Spouse is the same as you on TriCare for life.
so am I correct in saying that I won’t require an advantage plan ?.. like you I’d prefer not to have one if I could avoid. Also seems like I’ll have to switch from prime to TriCare for life when MediCare kicks in ?
That is correct. When you turn 65 your Tricare prime will convert to Tricare for life which is a free supplement. Advantage plan would be a non issue. Several years ago when the Republicans pushed and passed the advantage plan system they claimed it was to save money. Actually it was a free gift to their buds providing health insurance. It now costs the govt 15 to 20 percent more for those on advantage plans. It is pretty obvious we are all paying for the endless commercials selling advantage plans. Some of which seems very deceptive to lure in unsuspecting seniors. It may be automatic for your Tricare to convert to Tricare for life but be sure to follow up and make sure it happens.
Old Sep 3rd 2020, 12:17 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

If you can possibly avoid it, stay off of Medicare Advantage plans. Inviting an insurance company to administer what are otherwise guaranteed benefits is a pretty daft idea.

The number of older people I see that need care that they would get under traditional Medicare that gets turned down by Advantage plans for 'medical necessity' is staggering - but not surprising.
Old Sep 3rd 2020, 1:57 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
If you can possibly avoid it, stay off of Medicare Advantage plans. Inviting an insurance company to administer what are otherwise guaranteed benefits is a pretty daft idea.

The number of older people I see that need care that they would get under traditional Medicare that gets turned down by Advantage plans for 'medical necessity' is staggering - but not surprising.

Nine months into the Aetna plan that I wrote about earlier in this thread I have had no problems with it, despite, unusually for me, having to actually use it a few times this year. It has also paid for dental work and contact lenses that I have never been reimbursed for in the past. Perhaps not all plans are created equal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.