Marks and Spencers

Old Jan 2nd 2023, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Marks and Spencers

Quick question - I know some of you order Marks and Spencers items to be delivered to you here in the US (thinking Jersey Girl here). I have not done so. Just wondering - does anyone know if it is possible to order from the Marks and Spencers UK website for an item to be sent to family members in the UK? I would be using my US Mastercard (which is obviously in US $) so not sure if M & S would accept this and bill me in $. I used to mail gifts all the time but stopped a few years ago due to postage costs, uncertainty of delivery, etc. I am so tired of doing Amazon UK. It's easy but just lately there have been a few problems with some orders I placed.
Old Jan 2nd 2023, 7:12 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marks and Spencers

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Quick question - I know some of you order Marks and Spencers items to be delivered to you here in the US (thinking Jersey Girl here). I have not done so. Just wondering - does anyone know if it is possible to order from the Marks and Spencers UK website for an item to be sent to family members in the UK? I would be using my US Mastercard (which is obviously in US $) so not sure if M & S would accept this and bill me in $. I used to mail gifts all the time but stopped a few years ago due to postage costs, uncertainty of delivery, etc. I am so tired of doing Amazon UK. It's easy but just lately there have been a few problems with some orders I placed.
I don't know about M&S specifically, but with respect to your card they will likely bill your card company in pounds who will then charge you in dollars at the exchange rate of their choice. I can't imagine that this will not work since I think it's the basis of all international online shopping, of which I have done a fair bit in my time with multiple shops in the UK - Waitrose, Sports Direct, JD Sports, and more. All are happy to send stuff wherever you want, too. Just choose different shipping and billing addresses.

Old Jan 2nd 2023, 7:35 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

It's a bit try it and see. Most UK stores are happy to accept any Visa or Mastercard online and deliver. The only one I've had problems with is Next. Tried to buy my granddaughter a present for this Christmas from Next and you even have to live in the UK to order online.
Old Jan 2nd 2023, 7:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t see why not but I do not know for sure. As the goods are staying in the UK, make sure you use M&S UK and not M&S US. Make sure the flag shown in the top right hand corner is an Union Jack. They charge more for goods on their foreign sites, to allow for shipping and import duty.

https://www.marksandspencer.com

If you have problems you can contact them and ask…

https://www.marksandspencer.com/c/he...and-contact-us
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

There is a lovely department store in Norwich from which I wanted to purchase a gift for my sister.
Imagine my surprise when they would not accept my US Capitalone (or any other) US credit card.
Old Jan 4th 2023, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

possible to order from the Marks and Spencers UK website for an item to be sent to family members in the UK?
Absolutely works but check your credit card doesn't have additional foreign transaction fees. If it does, get a new card with no fees.
Old Jan 4th 2023, 6:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Based on my experience of trying to buy on several UK retailers' web sites, but not M&S, and paying with a US credit card, a potential stumbling block is whether you can put your US address into the "billing address" fields on the UK web site. Without that data you will be lucky to get your payment accepted, though IME Amex is (or was?) more tolerant of inconsistent or missing billing address data.
Old Jan 4th 2023, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Based on my experience of trying to buy on several UK retailers' web sites, but not M&S, and paying with a US credit card, a potential stumbling block is whether you can put your US address into the "billing address" fields on the UK web site. Without that data you will be lucky to get your payment accepted, though IME Amex is (or was?) more tolerant of inconsistent or missing billing address data.

Quite right.... when I tried on several sites I could not input my US address, specifically the post code....
Old Jan 4th 2023, 7:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yes, I've come across this problem trying to input my Hungarian address.
Old Jan 4th 2023, 7:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Yes, I've come across this problem trying to input my Hungarian address.
That's a bit of a Pest.
Old Jan 5th 2023, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve ordered things for years from M&S to be delivered to family in UK using my US credit card and never had an issue. My US card does not have foreign transaction fees.
Old Jan 5th 2023, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post! I guess I shall give ordering from M & S a try. I have a few family birthdays coming up in the next few months.
Old Jan 5th 2023, 2:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post! I guess I shall give ordering from M & S a try. I have a few family birthdays coming up in the next few months.
Sainsbury's works too.
Obviously you won't want to send a bag of spuds or something like that
Old Jan 5th 2023, 2:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
I’ve ordered things for years from M&S to be delivered to family in UK using my US credit card and never had an issue. My US card does not have foreign transaction fees.
When evaluating the cost of any type of foreign exchange transaction, you need to look at the exchange rate spread as well as any fees charged. It is legally, but ethically questionable to state that "we charge no fees on foreign transactions" while still charging a spread, which could be larger than usual.

For example if you buy something for £200 using your US credit card when the published exchange mid-rate is $1.20/£1, you would expect to pay $240, but a bank might "charge no fee" and instead use a 4% spread, meaning that they buy £1 for $1.1760 and sell £1 for $1.2240, (the difference between the two being 4%) which means that your £200/ $240 purchase actually cost you $244.80, 2% more than $200. .... But you "didn't pay a fee"! 😉
Old Jan 5th 2023, 2:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That's a bit of a Pest.
It is when the system forces you to put in a non existent county, I have to use Pest County which is technically incorrect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.