Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Looking For Some Opinions

Looking For Some Opinions

Old Jun 21st 2009, 5:39 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looking For Some Opinions

On another from I post on, someone is claiming that the BBC should be banned from broadcasting any of its shows, or news in the US, because of how it is funded, and because it is "biased and anti-american". Needless to say, it is a viewpoint I strongly disagree with.
Putting aside little things like the 1st amendment for a moment (this person claimed that didn't count because the BBC is foreign), I curious to the viewpoint of some of the posters on here.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 5:44 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking For Some Opinions

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
On another from I post on, someone is claiming that the BBC should be banned from broadcasting any of its shows, or news in the US, because of how it is funded, and because it is "biased and anti-american". Needless to say, it is a viewpoint I strongly disagree with.
Putting aside little things like the 1st amendment for a moment (this person claimed that didn't count because the BBC is foreign), I curious to the viewpoint of some of the posters on here.
Well given that the Beeb is funded in the US by Americans I can't see the problem with them broadcasting. They let the Australian do it on fux news.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 6:28 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

On another from I post on, someone is claiming that the BBC should be banned from broadcasting any of its shows, or news in the US, because of how it is funded, and because it is "biased and anti-american".
and how much of the BBC's output has this person actually watched?
Old Jun 21st 2009, 8:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
and how much of the BBC's output has this person actually watched?
I'd ask if they have even left their town, let alone the State
Old Jun 21st 2009, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Take him out and shoot him!
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

On another from I post on, someone is claiming that the BBC should be banned from broadcasting any of its shows, or news in the US, because of how it is funded, and because it is "biased and anti-american".
... and how precisely do those people think that "it is funded"?

BBC content typically shows up in the US in one of two ways:

- programs sold by the BBC to various US based channels
- the BBC America cable channel

In the former case, it isn't the BBC who is doing the broadcasting it is the US channel and, in the latter case, this quote from the BBC America FAQ might be of interest:
Why does BBC AMERICA carry advertisements when the BBC in the UK does not?
In the UK, the BBC is funded by British TV licensing fees. However, by law, the BBC is not allowed to use this money to fund channels outside the UK, therefore BBC AMERICA is reliant on advertising sales. Without advertisements, we would not exist.