Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Loneliness Breeds Belief in Supernatural

Loneliness Breeds Belief in Supernatural

Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Loneliness Breeds Belief in Supernatural

People who feel lonely are more likely to believe in the supernatural, whether that is God, angels or miracles, a new study finds.

Humans have evolved as social creatures, so loneliness cuts to the quick. Living in groups was critical to the survival and safety of our ancient ancestors, and "complete isolation or ostracism has been tantamount to a death sentence," said University of Chicago researcher Nicholas Epley, who led the study.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...insupernatural

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't agree with this at all. People with large support networks behind them, including close family and friends can believe in God and other supernatural stuff.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Loneliness Breeds Belief in Supernatural

I'm inclined to agree with you.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dan725
I'm inclined to agree with you.
It's been my experience that when I am lonely, I have more time to think deeply about things and also to be more receptive to things around me, including what cannot be seen. Presumably, the researchers didn't take that possibilty into account...
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
People who feel lonely are more likely to believe in the supernatural, whether that is God, angels or miracles, a new study finds.

Humans have evolved as social creatures, so loneliness cuts to the quick. Living in groups was critical to the survival and safety of our ancient ancestors, and "complete isolation or ostracism has been tantamount to a death sentence," said University of Chicago researcher Nicholas Epley, who led the study.

I don't agree with this at all. People with large support networks behind them, including close family and friends can believe in God and other supernatural stuff.
Sometimes people do join churches to make friends though don't they?
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Cool Re: Loneliness Breeds Belief in Supernatural

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Sometimes people do join churches to make friends though don't they?
Absolutely, but it does'nt necessarily mean they are lonely, although lonely people do join organisations to be with other people.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 11:53 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Researchers being given too much money to scratch their arses until they come up with something, leads to the belief that they know what they are talking about or have ever had an original idea.

There are million reasons why people cast about at some point in their lives.

Load of old bollox.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 3:02 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElaineQ
It's been my experience that when I am lonely, I have more time to think deeply about things and also to be more receptive to things around me, including what cannot be seen. Presumably, the researchers didn't take that possibilty into account...
Very well put! There's a huge difference between 'lonely' and 'alone'. The latter offers the opportunity to reflect and aspire. When alone I never feel lonely. If I want company, no problem.

----
Old Jan 26th 2008, 3:45 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Mankind is a stupid animal and we're always desperate to believe in something. Christianity's really no more sensible to believe in that homeopathic medicine, ghosts and ghoulies or that crystals rubbish.

Except if you believe in something strongly enough, it can make your life better. So Christianity can bring communities together, homeopathic medicines can 'cure' people and it gives people comfort to believe their loved ones are still looking over them in ghostly form.

Whether or not that justifies an expensive 'study' into it is another question. Mind you, didn't they have astudy about which biscuits lose 'structural integrity' quickest in a cup of tea?
Old Jan 26th 2008, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
Mankind is a stupid animal and we're always desperate to believe in something. Christianity's really no more sensible to believe in that homeopathic medicine, ghosts and ghoulies or that crystals rubbish.

Except if you believe in something strongly enough, it can make your life better. So Christianity can bring communities together, homeopathic medicines can 'cure' people and it gives people comfort to believe their loved ones are still looking over them in ghostly form.

Whether or not that justifies an expensive 'study' into it is another question. Mind you, didn't they have astudy about which biscuits lose 'structural integrity' quickest in a cup of tea?

I have no idea why - his ghost must be looking over my shoulder but when I read your post, Jan Karski popped into my mind. You might want to look him up. A very sensible man. Not at all stupid...
Old Jan 26th 2008, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud of

oops be careful! before you know it you will have those psychopathic Baptist fundamentalists protesting outside your house...you don't have to be lonely to become delusional.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 8:46 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Researchers being given too much money to scratch their arses until they come up with something, leads to the belief that they know what they are talking about or have ever had an original idea.
There are million reasons why people cast about at some point in their lives.
Load of old bollox.
So you believe in ghosts then.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I think you must be slightly loopy/lonely to go in for those model angels.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 12:36 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElaineQ
I have no idea why - his ghost must be looking over my shoulder but when I read your post, Jan Karski popped into my mind. You might want to look him up. A very sensible man. Not at all stupid...
He was a hero - who condemned the church and organised religion for sitting idly by while the jews got massacared by the Nazis.

"Every church says: "We tried to help the Jews," because they are ashamed, they want to keep their reputations. They didn't help, because six million Jews perished, but those in the churches survived. No one did enough."
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

He was a hero - who condemned the church and organised religion for sitting idly by while the jews got massacared by the Nazis.

"Every church says: "We tried to help the Jews," because they are ashamed, they want to keep their reputations. They didn't help, because six million Jews perished, but those in the churches survived. No one did enough."
Read a bit more, Roland - he believed in God . Yet I wouldn't call him or others like him "stupid animals".
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:21 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049

I can see a connection. I find myself turning to God and prayer in times of difficulty. Not that much since I got married -- now I talk to my husband about anything and everything on my mind

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.