British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Like Is Full of Disappointments (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/like-full-disappointments-935303/)

lansbury Oct 15th 2020 8:24 pm

Like Is Full of Disappointments

I picked my iPhone up this morning to call the doctors office, and there was a huge great t shaped crack in the screen. It is now a few years old so maybe it was sending a message that I needed an new iPhone 12, available to order from tomorrow. This I explained to Mrs L who failed to follow the logic of my argument and sent me to the store to see what a screen replacement would cost. A short time later I was back home, having spent $10 on a new screen protector.

Bugger. :frown:

Pulaski Oct 15th 2020 8:53 pm

Re: Like Is Full of Disappointments

Mrs P and little Miss P have been telling me for 2-3 years that my phone is "a piece of crap". :( But I like my Samsung Galaxy S4, and apparently the operating system is now "perfect" as Samsung stopped issuing service patches in 2015. :rofl:

I cracked the screen a couple of years ago, but then about two months ago it stopped talking to the email server and so now a replacement is on the horizon - probably around the end of the year, or early 2021.

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 15th 2020 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12922325)
Mrs P and little Miss P have been telling me for 2-3 years that my phone is "a piece of crap". :( But I like my Samsung Galaxy S4, and apparently the operating system is now "perfect" as Samsung stopped issuing service patches in 2015. :rofl:

I know our phone is a piece of crap. LG something, barely works these days.....and the battery only lasts like 1-2 hours now....ha ha

We did replace it , but I was clumsy and smashed the first replacement in the door of the moving truck when moving, purely accidental and just was so tired that day, and well when tired mistakes happen, so now back to the old phone, can't get a new phone again for 2 more years since we just replaced it in June.

Such is life, I'd prefer not having a cell phone, but every company and its mother now seems to require text verification randomly with no phone or email option....

Heck even jobs these days do everything on apps from payroll to schedules.

My last job would have been impossible to do without a cell phone, even our time clock was an app on our phone.

Lion in Winter Oct 16th 2020 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12922325)

I cracked the screen a couple of years ago, but then about two months ago it stopped talking to the email server and so now a replacement is on the horizon - probably around the end of the year, or early 2021.

That means my S5 won't be too far behind :( I've never broken it, but it's starting to struggle.

Lion in Winter Oct 16th 2020 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12922329)
I know our phone is a piece of crap. LG something, barely works these days.....and the battery only lasts like 1-2 hours now....ha ha

We did replace it , but I was clumsy and smashed the first replacement in the door of the moving truck when moving, purely accidental and just was so tired that day, and well when tired mistakes happen, so now back to the old phone, can't get a new phone again for 2 more years since we just replaced it in June.

Such is life, I'd prefer not having a cell phone, but every company and its mother now seems to require text verification randomly with no phone or email option....

My last job would have been impossible to do without a cell phone, even our time clock was an app on our phone.

I've never bought a new phone I don't think. I buy "factory refurbished" or reconditioned from Amazon sellers. A fraction of the price, doesn't tie you to another two-year contract, and you can get them with 90-day warranties. The only time I've ever had an issue was on a phone for the OH and since it was on Amazon there was no trouble about returning it for a refund.

civilservant Oct 16th 2020 12:08 pm

And here I was thinking my iPhone X was getting a little long in the tooth.... :rofl:

Former Lancastrian Oct 16th 2020 12:50 pm

Whats a cell phone? I have a landline with an answering machine :rofl: Yes I knowhttp://www.jurassicworld.com/sites/d..._0001_trex.png

scot47 Oct 16th 2020 1:19 pm

I use a Nokia - 20 years old. I lived in fear of having to acquire a fancy new one - and than having to learn how to use it. Through the miracle of The internet I found a new Nokia - exactly the same as the old one but in Red, not Black !Joy !

civilservant Oct 16th 2020 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12922530)
Whats a cell phone? I have a landline with an answering machine :rofl: Yes I knowhttp://www.jurassicworld.com/sites/d..._0001_trex.png

I love T-Rexs :rofl:

Pulaski Oct 16th 2020 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12922538)
I love T-Rexs :rofl:

It looks like it's walking. Does that make it T-Mobile? :getcoat:

markonline1 Oct 16th 2020 2:29 pm

I’m guess I’m alone in these parts then. My phone has almost become grafted to my body. I pretty much live my life through my phone. The only thing I don’t really use it for is making phone calls LOL.

Rete Oct 16th 2020 2:37 pm

We have a landline and answering machine, as well. Rarely use my cell for anything but emergency phone calls and texting.

BennyBall Oct 16th 2020 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12922329)

Cell phone gripe alert ...
JSMTH mentions text verification....
A small example of those who now continually want text verification ....
Apple
USAA
Virgin Money
Social Security
google voice
HMRC
These are just the last six that I’ve pulled off from my cellphone text messages.
Is it the second layer of customer security protection..... or do they all just want my cellphone number on file ?
Cellphone gripe over !

excpomea Oct 16th 2020 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12922502)
And here I was thinking my iPhone X was getting a little long in the tooth.... :rofl:

Love my iphone X
Just had to replace the screen, Luckily I have the overpriced Verizon insurance. $29 copay to replace screen.

The new iphone 12 is tempting, but no real 5G in my area so a bit of an overkill.

Lion in Winter Oct 16th 2020 3:45 pm

Whats a cell phone? I have a landline with an answering machine :rofl: Yes I know

You could upgrade to one of these.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...caa66d63a3.jpg

lizzyq Oct 16th 2020 4:08 pm

We are on relatively up to date Android phones, using a family Google Fi plan. We haven't had a landline since moving to the USA 6 years ago and really do not miss it at all.

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 16th 2020 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by BennyBall (Post 12922594)
Cell phone gripe alert ...
JSMTH mentions text verification....
A small example of those who now continually want text verification ....
Apple
USAA
Virgin Money
Social Security
google voice
HMRC
These are just the last six that I’ve pulled off from my cellphone text messages.
Is it the second layer of customer security protection..... or do they all just want my cellphone number on file ?
Cellphone gripe over !

I do wonder sometimes if its just a way to collect cell phone numbers.

We only have 1 cell and often my wife has it and not home, and certain companies I cannot access when she isn't home to check accounts because they insist on the texting the code in addition to my password.

Then many US companies wont text to a foreign phone number including Canada which has the same phone number format as the US does, no different calling or texting Canada from the US than making a long distance call within the US.

Text verification annoys the living daylight out of me especially when they do not provide any alternative method.

Only andriod phones for me though, I don't find value in Apple products, probably will never own an Apple anything....lol

Pulaski Oct 16th 2020 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12922627)
..... I don't find value in Apple products, probably will never own an Apple anything. .....

I agree 100% on that point. I need a phone, not to join a cult!

markonline1 Oct 16th 2020 5:16 pm

To be fair, you should only really consider an iPhone if you value an operating system designed for the phone that gives regular and seamless updates rather than a one size fits all operating system where you’ll be lucky to see an update. If security isn’t important to you, you probably shouldn’t bother considering an iPhone either.

lansbury Oct 16th 2020 6:36 pm

How do you fit it in your pocket?

lansbury Oct 16th 2020 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12922607)

I recognize that number :thumbsup:

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 16th 2020 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 12922660)
To be fair, you should only really consider an iPhone if you value an operating system designed for the phone that gives regular and seamless updates rather than a one size fits all operating system where you’ll be lucky to see an update. If security isn’t important to you, you probably shouldn’t bother considering an iPhone either.

My problem is the cost, way too expensive with no budget model, well I guess there is a budget model but still at the high end. :rofl:

markonline1 Oct 16th 2020 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12922689)
My problem is the cost, way too expensive with no budget model, well I guess there is a budget model but still at the high end. :rofl:

The cost of phones is now ridiculous.

SpoogleDrummer Oct 16th 2020 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 12922706)

That and the fact that they don't seem to really have any useful new features any more, it will take more than an extra camera and a new way to unlock your phone to make me part with $1000.

Pulaski Oct 16th 2020 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 12922706)

This isn't necessarily the manufacturer's fault - both the phone networks and the consumer are partly to blame. ..... I have been looking at a Samsung phone that interests me - AT&T wants to charge me over $1,000 for it, but I can buy one on Amazon for $499. :blink:

markonline1 Oct 17th 2020 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12922768)
and the consumer are partly to blame. .....

Yep, idiots like me keep buying them LOL.

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 17th 2020 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12922768)
This isn't necessarily the manufacturer's fault - both the phone networks and the consumer are partly to blame. ..... I have been looking at a Samsung phone that interests me - AT&T wants to charge me over $1,000 for it, but I can buy one on Amazon for $499. :blink:

Phone companies gotta add in the cost of the phones that never get paid for in full, you know get X phone for $0 on a 2 year contract, and then a % of people who take up said offer will default and suppose they need to work those losses into the total cost.

Lion in Winter Oct 17th 2020 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12922685)
I recognize that number :thumbsup:

As would my grandfather. :)

kimilseung Oct 17th 2020 3:28 pm

I bought a Tracfone Samsung phone on Amazon, a steal at $30.00. we are at the point now where these low end phones are more than capable of what most want them to do.
They expect to make money on you buying air time.
For me, it was just for the screen and camera.
I use the camera as a document camera via WiFi in zoom meetings on my computer.
I also use it as a screen to display data from my computer, also via WiFi.
Dedicated solutions for the same tasks would be much more expensive for the same quality, and I would need two devices.
Next time I need a new phone, I might go this $30 route.

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 17th 2020 5:44 pm

Just be glad your not in Canada, where prices are even higher :rofl: service and plans worse....

ddsrph Oct 19th 2020 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12922689)

My wife and I have been using iPhone SE’s purchased at Walmart. New about $250. We are on our second ones. They are also our only connection to internet and I couldn’t imagine needing anything more for phone or internet.

Pulaski Oct 19th 2020 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by ddsrph (Post 12923546)
My wife and I have been using iPhone SE’s purchased at Walmart. New about $250. We are on our second ones. They are also our only connection to internet and I couldn’t imagine needing anything more for phone or internet.

I use my phone for accessing the internet, but I find it very limiting, like watching a film at a cinema through a keyhole, and so when at home I always perfer to use my home computer which is set up with 3x24" wide-screen monitors. I find using my phone especially limiting with Amazon, and the YouTube "experience" IMO is much superior on a computer too.

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 19th 2020 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12923642)
I use my phone for accessing the internet, but I find it very limiting, like watching a film at a cinema through a keyhole, and so when at home I always perfer to use my home computer which is set up with 3x24" wide-screen monitors. I find using my phone especially limiting with Amazon, and the YouTube "experience" IMO is much superior on a computer too.

I use the phone for browsing news or basic stuff when out and about, but I have not met a phone or tablet yet that is a replacement for a computer. Typing on phones and tablets alone annoys me and slows me down. Bigger tablets are also a pain in the rear to hold.

Now I wouldn't mind having a home internet/cell phone combined type plan where its all shared data vs having to have separate companies and bill, that would be good.

markonline1 Oct 19th 2020 5:13 pm

I’m the complete opposite. My laptop is only really used for gaming. All my browsing, YouTube etc etc is done on my phone.

zzrmark Oct 21st 2020 12:39 am

I have had misgivings ever since the first (and last) mobile I ever bought gave up the ghost, my indestructible, reliable, two week battery life, Nokia 3210. I had it for nearly ten years, replaced the, broken, casing twice and attracted all sorts of attention in the pubs thanks to the, delightfully lewd name that my sister in law gave my bluetooth every time she joined us for drinks (ie. quite a few week nights and every weekend) - back in the days when bluetooth was only any good for scoping the bluetooth talent in pubs.

Phones just aren't built like that old Nokia anymore. I've been over here for five years and am on the third of my wife's hand-me-down I-phones, as well as having trashed my stepson's old castoff Samsung when a 12" offcut from a 4" fencepost spun off my saw when being cut, fell four feet, performed a credible audition as a Scottish caber and planted itself squarely in the middle of the screen. Having smashed the camera lens and pushed it through the back of the body I presume it was fooked.

I quite liked the I-phone 5, which drowned in a drybag while I was paddling on a white water river in the Blue Ridge Mountains, got slung in the dead phone drawer after numerous attempts to revive it and, unbelievably, came back to life six months later when I charged it on the off chance after the fencepost incident with the Samsung. I replaced the screen once and when it broke a second time the missus reckoned it was time to upgrade hers so I got an I-phone 6S.

The I-phone 6S didn't last more than a year, had the missus not left it on the back bumper of my truck and the tracking system not been so good it would probably still be alive.
We tracked back the 1/4 mile down the lane to the house and I pulled off the road when the tracking system reckoned we were close. Protective cases don't do much protecting when you drive Tundra over them!!

I've had the I-phone 7 since August and am still in discovery stage. I can work the camera, pull up maps, have put one of my email addresses on it, recently logged in to BE on it and signed up to Whatsapp as a way to keep in touch with UK family when mum broke her neck. One day I might suss out how to access the wife's I-tunes account and do the whole music thing but probably not until I've got a truck that can talk to my phone.

My biggest gripe is that hand-me-down I-phones are a right pain in the butt to reconfigure. :lol:

zzrmark Oct 21st 2020 12:43 am

...And why is LIKE full of disappointments? :lol:

civilservant Oct 21st 2020 10:57 am

I’m the complete opposite. My laptop is only really used for gaming. All my browsing, YouTube etc etc is done on my phone.
I'm with Pulaski on this one. When at home and using the internet my Macbook Pro is the browser of choice. My iPhone X is just too small for the task and I don't see the need for a niche product like an iPad.

markonline1 Oct 21st 2020 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12924292)
I'm with Pulaski on this one. When at home and using the internet my Macbook Pro is the browser of choice. My iPhone X is just too small for the task and I don't see the need for a niche product like an iPad.

Thats why you need the XS MAX :thumb: