Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Life's little ironies!

Life's little ironies!

Old Sep 23rd 2006, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Life's little ironies!

Well as you know I am leaving the US for the UK in October. We have now booked our tickets for the 12th. Anyway would you believe it after waiting with baited breath we have received in the mail our Green card interview dates for next Tuesday the 26th..it has taken forever to get to this point and just one of the reasons we got fed up, the worst point being last year when I couldn't leave the US to go to my grand mothers funeral. Oh and not to mention the year before when I returned to the UK to renew my visa only to have the embassy lose my passport and not being bothered. Each time I called for help it cost £1.90 per minute for said help...(dont know why I bothered they didnt give two hoots) Anyway here we are I must admit I do want my green card even though it will be worthless once I move, but just to say to myself yes I did it, plus when your a US immigrant you always feel a little worthless as the system kinda beats you down. I see the Green card as my validation.

The weirdest thing about being an expat is how easy it is to stay when really all you want to do is go home. Strangely since we made the BIG DECISION, which I must say involved months of angst life has been surprisingly easy. Anyway I thought I would let you all know about my interview, one of life's little ironies!
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 12:20 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life's little ironies!

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Well as you know I am leaving the US for the UK in October. ..........we have received in the mail our Green card interview dates for next Tuesday the 26th..............I must admit I do want my green card even though it will be worthless once I move, but just to say to myself yes I did it, plus when your a US immigrant you always feel a little worthless as the system kinda beats you down. I see the Green card as my validation.

The weirdest thing about being an expat is how easy it is to stay when really all you want to do is go home. Strangely since we made the BIG DECISION, which I must say involved months of angst life has been surprisingly easy. Anyway I thought I would let you all know about my interview, one of life's little ironies!

Ironical indeed! I can empathise with your feelings of worthlessness as an immigrant - been there, felt that... All the best for your future back home!
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 1:41 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Well, why not go for it ??
If nothing else you'll get to mess with the interviewer's head if you so chose
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 7:16 am
Account Closed

Serenity is an unknown quantity at this point

I know how you feel! I finally got my GC 9 months before we left (big backlog at the time, then returned even though I submitted a change of address form well before we moved) and I loved that thing! It was so hard to surrender it to the Embassy after my year was up in the UK. But hey, at least it's on the photocopy I have to keep with my passport whenever I travel to the US.

My name is Serenity and I once had a Green Card!
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm definitely going for the interview, if nothing else the green card will be put in a frame and hung on my wall.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 9:31 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I'm definitely going for the interview, if nothing else the green card will be put in a frame and hung on my wall.

I think that if you are planning to travel to the US again at some point,y ou actually have to return it to them, otherwise you might face problems at the POE (think Secondary Immigration ). So maybe not worth getting...

The other option would be to apply for a re-entry permit, but that only works if you maintain a residence in the US to which you are planning to return - I believe within two years. So that won't work if you are planning to return to the UK permanently.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 5:32 am
Account Closed

Serenity is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
I think that if you are planning to travel to the US again at some point,y ou actually have to return it to them, otherwise you might face problems at the POE (think Secondary Immigration ). So maybe not worth getting...
This is true. American Embassy has info:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/dhs/uscis/abandon.html

Though I notice you can now also fill out the form and hand it and the green card in on your next visit.

You're supposed to keep it with your passport for future entry to the US. With me they wanted to see if the first time, but nothing was mentioned the second time.