Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Large white envelopes - just curious

Large white envelopes - just curious

Old May 17th 2020, 2:47 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Large white envelopes - just curious

I've read about a large white envelope marked 'do not open' that some people get prior to moving to the US. I know it has something to do with their visa but although I've tried to search for what's in that envelope, and why people aren't allowed to open it, I haven't had any luck. If some kind soul could satisfy my sticky beaking that would be great
Old May 17th 2020, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Large white envelopes - just curious

It's taken by the beneficiary to present at the port of entry. I believe it contains medical information and other associated documents.

I think they have done away with it now and instead everything is handled electronically.
Old May 17th 2020, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
It's taken by the beneficiary to present at the port of entry. I believe it contains medical information and other associated documents.

I think they have done away with it now and instead everything is handled electronically.
I, too, am under the impression that it has been done away with.
Old May 17th 2020, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I, too, am under the impression that it has been done away with.
Just saw a post where someone received one "a couple of months ago"
Old May 17th 2020, 3:11 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I've read about a large white envelope marked 'do not open' that some people get prior to moving to the US. I know it has something to do with their visa but although I've tried to search for what's in that envelope, and why people aren't allowed to open it, I haven't had any luck. If some kind soul could satisfy my sticky beaking that would be great
Years ago it just had a chest X-ray in it for TB. When I emigrated to the US in 1976 and then 1991, I had such an envelope, neither was claimed on entry to the country, so many years later, I opened them and gave the xrays to the kids for show & tell.
Old May 17th 2020, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Just saw a post where someone received one "a couple of months ago"
A very quick Google search suggests that it was introduced as an experimental measure to go electronic at some embassies in 2018, don't suppose you can recall the recipients embassy of origin?
Old May 17th 2020, 3:18 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. I'm still a bit puzzled though, if the information in the envelope is about the person who's migrating to the US, why aren't they allowed to see it?
Old May 17th 2020, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
Years ago it just had a chest X-ray in it for TB. When I emigrated to the US in 1976 and then 1991, I had such an envelope, neither was claimed on entry to the country, so many years later, I opened them and gave the xrays to the kids for show & tell.

That's your medical packet not the one that had to be given to customs upon entry, my medical packet had the x-rays on a cd - it was a right pain in the butt worrying about creasing the visa packet when stuffing it into the, then recently reduced size, carry-on baggage.
Old May 17th 2020, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the replies. I'm still a bit puzzled though, if the information in the envelope is about the person who's migrating to the US, why aren't they allowed to see it?
I assumed that it is for customs eyes and immigration don't want the entrant tampering with the contents, bit like sending your primary school aged kid off to school with their lunchbox and telling them not to open it before lunchtime...
Old May 17th 2020, 3:25 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

American Exceptionalism. Shining City on the Hill. “Oh say, can I see my X-ray? No.”
Old May 17th 2020, 3:29 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I assumed that it is for customs eyes and immigration don't want the entrant tampering with the contents, bit like sending your primary school aged kid off to school with their lunchbox and telling them not to open it before lunchtime...
American Exceptionalism. Shining City on the Hill. “Oh say, can I see my X-ray? No.”

Thanks you two, I'm happy now. Can't stand not knowing things!
Old May 17th 2020, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Its a test. If you arrive with the envelope opened then it is a sign you cannot be trusted and therefore banned from entering the US. If arriving with the envelope intact then Voila Welcome to the United States. Probably also acts as a deterrent from whatever is in the envelope being tampered with etc etc.
Old May 17th 2020, 3:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The large white envelope is sent to the US visa recipient by courier if their US spousal visa (IR-1/CR-1) has been approved. It is marked 'DO NOT OPEN" because inside of the envelope is every piece of submitted forms, evidence and consular notations concerning the visa application, interview and results.

It is not to be opened so that when it is handed to the agent at the POE and they open it, they know that the recipient has not tampered with the paperwork and possibly substituted something or removed something of importance. The paperwork is then sent to the USCIS and will be filed in one of the salt mines in the US and will be called upon for future USCIS petitions submitted, i.e. removal of conditions, if applicable, naturalization, etc.
Old May 17th 2020, 3:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Its a test. If you arrive with the envelope opened then it is a sign you cannot be trusted and therefore banned from entering the US. If arriving with the envelope intact then Voila Welcome to the United States. Probably also acts as a deterrent from whatever is in the envelope being tampered with etc etc.

Old May 17th 2020, 3:55 pm
Concierge

I know your answer is joking about but the x-ray is not in the envelope. It is in the recipient's possession and can/should be given to a future primary physician for their medical records.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.