Laptops / TVs etc

Old May 4th 2008, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

oc-bound is on a distinguished road
Default Laptops / TVs etc

Hi,

We're going to be moving out to Orange County in a week and a half... As we're not going to bother shipping any stuff out we're going to need to buy LOTS when we get out there.

We're being put up in a serviced apartment for a month but want to buy a laptop straight away (literally) when we get out there... Once we get our own place we'll need a TV etc.

So... does anyone know where to buy a cheap wifi laptop when we get out (nothing fancy - mainly just for internet, iTunes etc)? What's the equivalent of 'Comet' in the US? Again, what about cheap LCD tvs?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Old May 4th 2008, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laptops / TVs etc

Originally Posted by oc-bound
Hi,

We're going to be moving out to Orange County in a week and a half... As we're not going to bother shipping any stuff out we're going to need to buy LOTS when we get out there.

We're being put up in a serviced apartment for a month but want to buy a laptop straight away (literally) when we get out there... Once we get our own place we'll need a TV etc.

So... does anyone know where to buy a cheap wifi laptop when we get out (nothing fancy - mainly just for internet, iTunes etc)? What's the equivalent of 'Comet' in the US? Again, what about cheap LCD tvs?

Thank you!
Check out Circuit City and / or Best Buy for laptops TVs and pretty much any other consumer electronics.

Generally their prices are almost identical.
Old May 4th 2008, 6:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Check out Circuit City and / or Best Buy for laptops TVs and pretty much any other consumer electronics.

Generally their prices are almost identical.
Beware of the pressure to buy extended warranty from those stores and they charge a restocking fee if you wish to return the item. To be honest I always look in Costco first...can't beat their prices or their take back policy.
Old May 4th 2008, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Beware of the pressure to buy extended warranty from those stores and they charge a restocking fee if you wish to return the item. To be honest I always look in Costco first...can't beat their prices or their take back policy.
Yes - absolutely never buy the extended warranty.
Old May 4th 2008, 6:35 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, www.bestbuy.com defo can get everything there.
Old May 4th 2008, 7:03 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Costco is a membership-only store, but if you are a member, the prices are hard to beat.

I generally go to an electronics store and negotiate. Do some online price shopping first, and you should get the brick-and-mortar store to at least match a competitor.

Keep in mind that if you buy mail order from an out-of-state vendor with no operations in California, that you will not have to pay sales tax. So when you haggle, keep this in mind as you calculate prices.

Also remember that prices in the store are quoted without the sales tax included, so the final cost will be higher than the posted price.

One thing to know is that the US TV format is changing in 2009. This probably won't effect you if you are buying an LCD, but do understand that a lot of the older model sets will not be compatible to the upcoming HD format.

And yes, extended warranties are rarely a good idea.
Old May 4th 2008, 7:39 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

If you are in Cali I would recommend Fry's as well. It's sort of like a Geek Nirvana--I mean if you have an urgent need for solar panels and remote control dinosaurs and computer parts, it is where you go.

I just saw a laptop in Walmart for $398 (Acer). Probably all you would need if you are just doing the minimal stuff. If you are really up for it, Walmart occasionally carries a $199 Linux desktop (they have a hard time keeping them in stock). Though that would negate iTunes as an option more or less.
Old May 4th 2008, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

if you can wait a couple days use Amazon as there is no sales tax. Best Buy and circuit city will sort you out but by no means the cheapest places.
Old May 4th 2008, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oc-bound
Hi,

Thank you!
Hi:

You may want to join Costco. However, the selection is limited. But they stand behind their stuff.

Best Buy and Circuit City.

If you are talking about Orange County California, then consider Fry's which has EVERYTHING electronic. Do note that if you ever have to RETURN anything to Fry's ...

I'm typing this on a fairly new ThinkPad -- an R61 -- I first saw it at Circuit City -- but I was able to negotiate a better price directly with Lenovo over the telephone! Shipment was free via UPS ground -- when I got the tracking number, I tracked the thing from Hong Kong. The passage from Hong Kong to Ontario Airport was NOT on the "ground." I had it within five days.
Old May 4th 2008, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Big D
if you can wait a couple days use Amazon as there is no sales tax. Best Buy and circuit city will sort you out but by no means the cheapest places.
Hi:

Not quite correct. It is the BUYER who pays the sales tax. A seller with a situs in California is responsible for collecting the sales tax. Otherwise, the buyer will have to pay it. [Not that its ever enforced, wink wink].
Old May 4th 2008, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Not quite correct. It is the BUYER who pays the sales tax. A seller with a situs in California is responsible for collecting the sales tax. Otherwise, the buyer will have to pay it. [Not that its ever enforced, wink wink].
not sure i understand? amazon dont charge sales tax, though you are supposed to pay it through your annual tax return

do they charge it in CA?
Old May 4th 2008, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

not sure about Ca wide... don't know the rules etc... but in LA area where we were (woodland hills) it was 8.25% ... thats as of about 18months ago.
Old May 4th 2008, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

i also second/third whatever... Frys Electronics (www.outpost.com)... they have the worst staff on the planet... however it is an electronics mecca... my dad used to spend hours upon hours in their just getting his geek on... probably didn't help that i lived/worked only 500 yards from the woodland hills one.
Old May 4th 2008, 11:12 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Yes - absolutely never buy the extended warranty.
When you purchased your machines what warranties did you walk out the store with in terms of length. As a professional recommendation I always insist on the 3 year warranty.
Old May 4th 2008, 11:20 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
When you purchased your machines what warranties did you walk out the store with in terms of length. As a professional recommendation I always insist on the 3 year warranty.
I always buy the extended warranty on laptops, at least the screen protection plan. Laptop screens cost an absolute mint to replace and they crash very frequently. I don't buy it for anything else as I'm usually replacing machines every two years anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.