Reload this Page >

Landing in the USA for 1st Time

Landing in the USA for 1st Time

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Blip is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Landing in the USA for 1st Time

Hi

Wonder if anyone can help. I'm British and I've just been approved for my visa and I'm now waiting for it. My US wife is flying ahead of me this week and I will follow next week, she is due to go to a job interview.
What happens the first time you land in America with a visa? What is the procedure? Any tips?

Thanks
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 10:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing in the USA for 1st Time

Originally Posted by Blip
Hi

Wonder if anyone can help. I'm British and I've just been approved for my visa and I'm now waiting for it. My US wife is flying ahead of me this week and I will follow next week, she is due to go to a job interview.
What happens the first time you land in America with a visa? What is the procedure? Any tips?

Thanks
It depends on the visa, but I will take a WAG and say you've got an Immigrant Visa. Do you expect to get a Green Card after entry?

If so, read here: Arriving In America: Navigating the POE
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

LondonLondon2USA has a spectacular aura aboutLondonLondon2USA has a spectacular aura aboutLondonLondon2USA has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Blip
Hi

Thanks
I suppose it depends where you are flying to but I landed last week and it was as simple as the usual immigration checks. I waved my brown envelope around and was directed to an Immigration officer. It was the same immigration officer as anyone else would have used. He checked my passport, asked if I had a new address (which I did) stamped the VISA and asked me if I had a job lined up. He was very friendly. I was then directed to a doorway, where I was told I would have my prints taken. I was in there about 5 mins and was sent on my way. No interview and no hassle. I hope you have the same but you neer know who you might get. I went through JFK and they seemed to be trying a new computerised system, as another immigration officer asked to see how it worked. He wasn't new but appeared to have never done the new computer based method. Good luck!!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:37 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

As the poster above said it is very much the same whichever POE you use.

If you have to take a connecting flight just bear in mind that the secondary inspection, where your prints at taken etc, in itself isn't very long 15 minutes at most. However some have waited a considerable time due to the number of others ahead of them in the queue.