Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Land Rover Defenders. How much???!!!

Land Rover Defenders. How much???!!!

Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:01 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land Rover Defenders. How much???!!!

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
They also use a '57 Willys...
A number of the NE rural fire departments have these things, called "Brush Breakers". Used to get back into the thickets and whatnot. Why drive around an obstacle when it is more fun to go through one...

Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:33 pm
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by discoviking
If you do a lot of your own maintenance, an older Disco will be perfect for you. You can also pick up a classic Rangie in decent shape for next to nothing these days.
Yup, the only thing I use a mechanic/garage for is mounting tyres and pressing stuff (like wheel bearings and bushings), and inspections. The rest is work I can do. In fact, mates of mine have started to figure out that for the cost of parts and a case of beer, I'll do their brakes, exhausts, suspension, belts, gaskets (two cases of beer for that ) and trick their 02 sensor pooped ECUs for the NYS inspection If the engine or gear box let go, I'd buy a used reconditioned one, drop that in while I worked out how to rebuild the original one.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Then I would definitely look for an older Land Rover in decent shape if I were you. 97 or 98 Disco are good years, just the right amount of electronics so you won't go completely nuts. If you want a Disco II, look for a 2004 or later, as they put the CDL back in that year. It's still possible to find a decent classic Range Rover too, and even the P38 is coming down in price if you want to go a bit more upscale.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 2:23 am
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by discoviking
Then I would definitely look for an older Land Rover in decent shape if I were you. 97 or 98 Disco are good years, just the right amount of electronics so you won't go completely nuts. If you want a Disco II, look for a 2004 or later, as they put the CDL back in that year. It's still possible to find a decent classic Range Rover too, and even the P38 is coming down in price if you want to go a bit more upscale.

nice

I want the ability to carry 7, so I crossed a Rangie off the list a while back, and I expect the missus would not be happy if I can back home with a new old car As much as I'd love to tinker with a circa 97 disco, I'll get in the shit. Being in Upstate NY, a CDL would be a really nice feature to have.

I'll probably go with an 04 SE7 disco then. I'll get myself signed up to the disco forums.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan B
I'll get myself signed up to the disco forums.
There is a link to one of the more active ones in my profile.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:33 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan B

nice

I want the ability to carry 7, so I crossed a Rangie off the list a while back, and I expect the missus would not be happy if I can back home with a new old car As much as I'd love to tinker with a circa 97 disco, I'll get in the shit. Being in Upstate NY, a CDL would be a really nice feature to have.

I'll probably go with an 04 SE7 disco then. I'll get myself signed up to the disco forums.
I think what you should look at is a 1977 International Harvester Scout II "Traveler".
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:33 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
A number of the NE rural fire departments have these things, called "Brush Breakers". Used to get back into the thickets and whatnot. Why drive around an obstacle when it is more fun to go through one...

http://mashpeema.virtualtownhall.net...iles/b354c.jpg
I want one for rush hour.