Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Land Rover Defenders. How much???!!!

Land Rover Defenders. How much???!!!

Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land Rover Defenders. How much???!!!

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
It does look faked, even in the movie because on top of the supercharger should be the injection system and fuel lines leading to it but theres very little connections to that area, just the Scott air intake scoop/ injector body. This leads me to believe that the blower case has been emptied of the rotors and they put a regular carb inside the blower to make the motor run. I think I might have also ready that years ago in some car magazine or other but its an old trick for hot rod show cars.
Completely fake, according to the director's commentary on the DVD.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan B
So I'm looking around for a different car, and have been browsing a while. One thought I had was to pick up a nice cheap never break down Landie Defender. However, they are ridiculously expensive over here!!?? Say, $30,000 for a 1993 model. What is that all about?

I'll probably get a Disco though. They are normally priced
Find someone who's moving to NY soon from the UK on this board, get yourself a defender here in the UK and share the shipping container...
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime
Find someone who's moving to NY soon from the UK on this board, get yourself a defender here in the UK and share the shipping container...
Good luck getting it past customs..... If it was that easy, there would be a lot more Defenders here already.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you could ship your car with you when you move. And isn't there a 'vintage' car classification for cars over 20yrs old that removes the smog / safety requirements? I'm sure you could find an '88 defender in decent shape.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime
I thought you could ship your car with you when you move. And isn't there a 'vintage' car classification for cars over 20yrs old that removes the smog / safety requirements? I'm sure you could find an '88 defender in decent shape.
You can bring your car into the US temporarily, I belive you can run foreign plates for up to a year, after that you are SOL.

It's 25 years for the classic car exemption, so you would be limited to an 83 or 84 Defender. If I was going that far back, I'd rather have an SIII.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discoviking
It's supply and demand. Defenders have not been imported to the US since 97 (could not meet the new Federal safety standards introduced at that time), and thus are in limited supply. I have a 97 Disco myself - and I am never getting rid of it. British engineering at it's best in my opinion - and I'm not even british.....
I have an 18 mth old Land Rover and it's the worst vehicle in terms of reliability I have ever owned. Once the weather changes it's history.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There's a place in Maine that has quite a few of them, seems to be a landrover graveyard, some in decent shape and prices...old buggers though.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's 25 years for the classic car exemption, so you would be limited to an 83 or 84 Defender. If I was going that far back, I'd rather have an SIII.
And depending on the state, it might limit how you drive an old motor, if you register a car as classic in Maine, you can only drive it on public roads during the weekend....but you do save on the low excise road tax getting those plates
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have an 18 mth old Land Rover and it's the worst vehicle in terms of reliability I have ever owned. Once the weather changes it's history.
You never took it off road, did you. If you don't give them regular off pavement exorcise, they will rebel against you and fall apart.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

You never took it off road, did you. If you don't give them regular off pavement exorcise, they will rebel against you and fall apart.
plenty of curbs and gravel driveways about, not to mention mountainous pot holes...that's all the off road you need around here
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The main problem is the bloody computer keeps shutting down and the thing dies completely.

Originally Posted by Bob
plenty of curbs and gravel driveways about, not to mention mountainous pot holes...that's all the off road you need around here

True...that could account for the suspension problems it's got.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:19 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

Now that Tata own Land Rover there is a good chance they will build a US legal defender.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:18 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

you either swear by them or swear at them.
If its not leaking, its probably empty....
Rover isn't leaking, its marking its territory..

Lucas - Prince Of Darkness
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:19 pm
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

Is it a 2007 Freelander?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Dan B
Is it a 2007 Freelander?
No it's the LR3.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.