Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Kids taught to fight back at school

Kids taught to fight back at school

Old Oct 14th 2006, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kids taught to fight back at school

Interesting....

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/10...cnn_topstories

I don't have kids, but I'm wondering how those of you that do would feel if your kids were taught this?

Last edited by anotherlimey; Oct 14th 2006 at 2:41 am.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 3:32 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids taught to fight back at school

My initial reaction is good. Disorient them before they gain control. If the training is well known, they are less likely to be attacked, on the inside, at least.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 3:42 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Interesting....

I don't have kids, but I'm wondering how those of you that do would feel if your kids were taught this?
I have kids and I agree. It seems that certain psychos walk into schools armed because they expect no resistance. I would tell my kids to do the same. if everybody on the 9/11 planes rushed those people they would never have taken over jets armed only with stanley knives.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 3:54 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Complete and utter crap ...A complete waste of time ...
99.9% of the population freeze up in situations such as these ...
Been there ..done it ..proved it .....
Old Oct 14th 2006, 4:03 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Aint we all. You can never know how you will react in such a situation. It is a contentious issue with no easy answer. Such a terrible phenomenom as high school attacks are a travesty and there is no easy way to define what to do. My kids go to school in Moss Side, Manchester and I tell them - If you hear gunshots, hit the deck fast!!! But high school shootings? I dunno. I think I would probably tell them, in all truth, - hit the deck. Sorry, I am back peddling here...........
Old Oct 15th 2006, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Next thing you know they'll be arming the classrooms with a "safety" gun for classroom invasions. It will be placed right next to the fire extinguisher.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

I have been in a few situations where I felt threatened and have usually found humour sometimes helps.
I was once delivering on a Saturday afternoon in the Arbor hill area of Albany (Very much a no go area for whites). A group of guys walked up as I unloaded and the biggest said "Hey man, you shouldn't be here ya know"
"Why not ?" I asked.
"Coz ya white ! .... If the big boss comes around ya gonna be a dead white man"
I replied "What ??? ... I'm white ? ... I always thought I was pink"
The attitude of all the guys changed to laughter and each one shook my hand. I went about my buisiness .... and NEVER went back.
I was also threatened by some shady people in Newark one day for alerting the authorities to a loading charge scam. My boss told me they had since phoned and appologised and next time I would be unloaded for free. I told him there isn't gonna be a 'Next Time' I don't want to end up in the Hudson river with cement boots thank you.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 2:55 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Surely thats the point of training? Nature tells you to run or fight common sense tells you to run, with training you can overcome 'nature' as you say been there done that.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 3:19 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Surely thats the point of training? Nature tells you to run or fight common sense tells you to run, with training you can overcome 'nature' as you say been there done that.
IMO he's right if you don't practise the event. That's not clear. To self protect, learn unarmed combat, but not just the elements, how to counter this, how to break that hold; you have to practise against a sustained and varied attack, and you remember better if it is real enough to hurt.

The problem is that most people don't react quickly enough the first time, the first attack primes people for subsequent attacks, if they happen. The difficulty is being primed for the first attack.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Thydney
Yeah but as you know. Noone knows how they will react until the event even with training. I agree training can help but life or death situations require instinctual reactions....and most people just dont have the instinct to kill or be killed without thought.

I've seen good coppers with a lot of training freeze the first time they are caught in a real public order situation.

I know how I react from experience....Luckily I'm here to say that.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 10:00 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Interesting....

I can just imagine some parents "empowering" their kids by sending them off to school with firearms as self-defence...

NC Penguin
Old Oct 16th 2006, 1:50 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I agree training can help but life or death situations require instinctual reactions....
It's funny but training always seems to get you to ignore your instincts after all running toward the gunfire isn't exactly instictual, running away is normal I've often thought afterwards 'wtf was I thinking'
Old Oct 16th 2006, 3:23 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

The trouble with this scenario is that the attacker in the school holdds the trump card....The element of suprise. As Ray says as soon as you are suprised you react to that shock with you natural instinct (which is self survival...be it run or be it fight). The training is only any good if it takes into account that you are going to be compromised and it's your actions after that initial suprise that counts. Any training to prepare you for suprise is a bullshit and a waste of time....you need to be prepared once you have you wits back.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 3:30 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The major results of the serious studies found that the more intelligent you are ..the slower and harder it is too respond ... Your thought processes
weight up all the possible scenarios ...

Where the dumb shit don't ..and tend to act instinctively by either
attacking back or hiding ...

Moral ...Always have a dumb shit between you and the door ...
Old Oct 16th 2006, 5:55 am
Hull lass

workboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I can just imagine some parents "empowering" their kids by sending them off to school with firearms as self-defence...

NC Penguin
What do you mean, imagine? Just read the news..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.