British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   A kettle, a kettle, my kingdom for a kettle! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/kettle-kettle-my-kingdom-kettle-93610/)

Morkai Kurst Aug 18th 2002 10:16 am

A kettle, a kettle, my kingdom for a kettle!

Slightly OT if you hadn't figured from the subject

Where in the world might I find such an obscure item as a 3kW kettle?

The only one I have found so far is from Walmart, but its 1kW, takes 10 mins to
boil and you have to pull the plug out the wall to turn it off (the issuing sparks
when I do that always worry me too..) If I'm upstairs and don't hear the whistle
its just sits and boils its proverbials off..Oh and I can't see how much water is
in there either.

I'm in Monroe, LA which while having every type of resturant you could possibly dream
of doesn't have much else. There was a Target being built just as I left, will that
maybe yield any more joy?

Otherwise will I be better off taking a supa dupa whamo dulux version that
boils in just over a minute and getting a converter for the plug? Will it even
work on 110 volt?

I shall forever be a happy limey if I can just have a decent cup of *hot* tea

If anyone knows where I might purchase such a beast I shall also be eternally
greatful.

Thanks

Morkai

Steve & Lisa Aug 18th 2002 10:48 am

Re: A kettle, a kettle, my kingdom for a kettle!

http://www.bodum.com/ We have a Bodum kettle, it
heats quickly and gets hot enough for Steve's coffee (he likes Nescafé). We found
ours two years ago at Target.

Also here is another kettle site:
http://superiorcanada.com/

Hope this helps.

--
Lisa www.britsinth-
eus.com/marriednhappy/timeline-aos.htm

"Morkai Kurst" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1029709007.10090.0.nnrp-07.9e98fd19@n-
ews.demon.co.uk
    > Slightly OT if you hadn't figured from the subject
    > Where in the world might I find such an obscure item as a 3kW kettle?
    > The only one I have found so far is from Walmart, but its 1kW, takes 10
mins
    > to boil and you have to pull the plug out the wall to turn it off (the issuing
    > sparks when I do that always worry me too..) If I'm upstairs and don't hear the
    > whistle its just sits and boils its proverbials off..Oh and
I
    > can't see how much water is in there either.
    > I'm in Monroe, LA which while having every type of resturant you could possibly
    > dream of doesn't have much else. There was a Target being built just as I left,
    > will that maybe yield any more joy?
    > Otherwise will I be better off taking a supa dupa whamo dulux version that boils
    > in just over a minute and getting a converter for the plug? Will it even work on
    > 110 volt?
    > I shall forever be a happy limey if I can just have a decent cup of *hot* tea
    > If anyone knows where I might purchase such a beast I shall also be eternally
    > greatful.
    > Thanks
    > Morkai

Denis Barlow Aug 18th 2002 10:54 am

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 23:16:44 +0100, "Morkai Kurst"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Slightly OT if you hadn't figured from the subject
    >Where in the world might I find such an obscure item as a 3kW kettle?
    >The only one I have found so far is from Walmart, but its 1kW, takes 10 mins to
    >boil and you have to pull the plug out the wall to turn it off (the issuing sparks
    >when I do that always worry me too..) If I'm upstairs and don't hear the whistle
    >its just sits and boils its proverbials off..Oh and I can't see how much water is
    >in there either.
    >I'm in Monroe, LA which while having every type of resturant you could possibly
    >dream of doesn't have much else. There was a Target being built just as I left, will
    >that maybe yield any more joy?
    >Otherwise will I be better off taking a supa dupa whamo dulux version that boils
    >in just over a minute and getting a converter for the plug? Will it even work on
    >110 volt?
    >I shall forever be a happy limey if I can just have a decent cup of *hot* tea
    >If anyone knows where I might purchase such a beast I shall also be eternally
    >greatful.
    >Thanks
    >Morkai

Like you thought, Target do a pretty good Philips cordless kettle for $35 but don't
expect it to be as good as the ones you are used to in the UK.

If you were acquainted with Ivy Watts you would know that a 3kw kettle takes 13 amps
of current at 230 volts (3000 watts divided by 230 volts = 13 amps) Over here where
the mains voltage is only 110 volts a 3kw kettle would require over 27 amps of
current. That's why you don't get many 3 kw kettles over here.

Denis

Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?

Morkai Kurst Aug 18th 2002 11:06 am

> Like you thought, Target do a pretty good Philips cordless kettle for $35 but don't
    > expect it to be as good as the ones you are used to in the UK.
    > If you were acquainted with Ivy Watts you would know that a 3kw kettle takes 13
    > amps of current at 230 volts (3000 watts divided by 230 volts = 13 amps) Over here
    > where the mains voltage is only 110 volts a 3kw kettle would require over 27 amps
    > of current. That's why you don't get many 3 kw kettles over here.

I knew there was a reason I gave up engineering to become a computer programmer :)
*sigh* a country full of wonderful things but a lousy electric supply. My partner
told me there is actually a 240v supply in a house (to run the cooker, fridge etc)
but if I can't find the kettle I can't even hijack one of those outlets. Ho hum, at
least I can get one that auto switches off and is cordless, I can stop worrying about
burning the element out if it goes dry when I forget about it. The sparks when I pull
the plug out the socket worry me more.. is that an indication of bad wiring or just
cause none of the plugs have an earth in them?

Thanks

Morkai

Morkai Kurst Aug 18th 2002 11:09 am

"Steve & Lisa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
om
    > http://www.bodum.com/ We have a Bodum kettle, it
    > heats quickly and gets hot enough for Steve's coffee (he likes Nescafé). We found
    > ours two years ago at Target.
    > Also here is another kettle site:
    > http://superiorcanada.com/
    > Hope this helps.

Thanks for the links, I shall go hunting in Target and see what I can find. Hopefully
it'll be built by the time I get there :)

Morkai

Pimpbot Aug 18th 2002 11:39 am

Originally posted by Morkai Kurst:
"Steve & Lisa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
om
    > http://www.bodum.com/ We have a Bodum kettle, it
    > heats quickly and gets hot enough for Steve's coffee (he likes Nescafé). We found
    > ours two years ago at Target.
    > Also here is another kettle site:
    > http://superiorcanada.com/
    > Hope this helps.

Thanks for the links, I shall go hunting in Target and see what I can find. Hopefully
it'll be built by the time I get there :)

Morkai
So thats why my American girlfriend bought a whistling kettle you place on the oven hob instead of an electric one:) I didnt know it was that hard to get a decent kettle in America!

Harry Aug 18th 2002 11:45 am

Target is definately the way to go. My British friend, who also lives in the U.S., bought us one from there as a wedding present. Believe me, that has to have been one of the best, and most appreciated presents I have ever recieved in my life.
Anyway, the kettle from Target seriously kicks butt and doesn't seem appreciably slower than ones in the U.K., despite the voltage.

-Harry

p.s. Isn't it wierd how British people can equate a good kettle to a 100% increase in the standard of living?! Hahaha!

Pimpbot Aug 18th 2002 11:46 am

Originally posted by Pimpbot:

So thats why my American girlfriend bought a whistling kettle you place on the oven hob instead of an electric one:) I didnt know it was that hard to get a decent kettle in America!
P.S. Just in case she reads this, I do love my whistling kettle:) Reminds me of the good old days LOL and as long as I get my hot tea or coffee, I'm happy.

Denis Barlow Aug 18th 2002 12:23 pm

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 00:06:38 +0100, "Morkai Kurst"

>> Like you thought, Target do a pretty good Philips cordless kettle for $35 but
    >> don't expect it to be as good as the ones you are used to in the UK.
    >> If you were acquainted with Ivy Watts you would know that a 3kw kettle takes 13
    >> amps of current at 230 volts (3000 watts divided by 230 volts = 13 amps) Over here
    >> where the mains voltage is only 110 volts a 3kw kettle would require over 27 amps
    >> of current. That's why you don't get many 3 kw kettles over here.
    >I knew there was a reason I gave up engineering to become a computer programmer :)
    >*sigh* a country full of wonderful things but a lousy electric supply. My partner
    >told me there is actually a 240v supply in a house (to run the cooker, fridge etc)
    >but if I can't find the kettle I can't even hijack one of those outlets. Ho hum, at
    >least I can get one that auto switches off and is cordless, I can stop worrying
    >about burning the element out if it goes dry when I forget about it. The sparks when
    >I pull the plug out the socket worry me more.. is that an indication of bad wiring
    >or just cause none of the plugs have an earth in them?
    >Thanks
    >Morkai

Hi again! The answer to your question is "none of the above" Even though it is only a
1 kw kettle it is still taking 9 amps of current and that is trying to arc across the
air gap as you pull the plug out. Eventually you could do damage to the socket and/or
plug but it's not an indication of bad wiring.

Denis

Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?

Sthrnshrte Aug 18th 2002 12:36 pm

>even hijack one of those outlets. Ho hum, at least I can get one that auto switches
    >off and is cordless, I can stop worrying about burning the element out if it goes
    >dry when I forget about it.

I think the sparks occur because it is a Walmart kettle. I used to live in Monroe
and I believe some of the department stores in Pecanland Mall sell kettles that are
bit better than the one you've got at the moment. Possibly Dillards. Didn't know
Monroe was building a Target, they were just touching up the Walmart when I had left.
If there is still a Service Merchandise there, although I think it may have gone out
of business, they had some. Hope it helps. I'm in Baton Rouge now and couldn't find
a kettle anywhere. My "Mum-in-law" came to visit and immediately sniffed one out
from Target. It's quick, cordless, and looks like it came from Argos.

Ash

Betastar Aug 18th 2002 12:44 pm

Crate and Barrel also has a Bodum kettle - go to
http://www.crateandbarrel.com and searc
for "kettle"

Rete Aug 18th 2002 12:45 pm

Order one from Canada. They use the same electrical current we do and it is actually like the ones you get in England. We used one this past week in Nova Scotia and the water was boiled before I had the tea cup and bag ready.

Although, being the US part of the equation, I do prefer my water to come to a rapid boil in a tea kettle on the stove. Just a matter of preferences.

Rete

Georgesgirl35 Aug 18th 2002 12:49 pm

bbcamerica.com they also sell bodum kettles. I have one from walmart and it takes
forever to boil.

Grinch Aug 18th 2002 1:43 pm

"Harry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

>p.s. Isn't it wierd how British people can equate a good kettle to a 100% increase
    > in the standard of living?! Hahaha!

a good beer is better

Grinch

Jan Aug 18th 2002 11:08 pm

We got a braun kettle from QVC (www.qvc.com) it
didnt come cheap but hey i get a decent cuppa tea before i go to work in the
morning. Jan :o)

"Morkai Kurst" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1029709007.10090.0.nnrp-07.9e98fd19@n-
ews.demon.co.uk
    > The only one I have found so far is from Walmart, but its 1kW, takes 10
mins
    > to boil and you have to pull the plug out the wall to turn it off (the issuing
    > sparks when I do that always worry me too..) If I'm upstairs and don't hear the
    > whistle its just sits and boils its proverbials off..Oh and
I
    > can't see how much water is in there either.
    > I'm in Monroe, LA which while having every type of resturant you could possibly
    > dream of doesn't have much else. There was a Target being built just as I left,
    > will that maybe yield any more joy?
    > Otherwise will I be better off taking a supa dupa whamo dulux version that boils
    > in just over a minute and getting a converter for the plug? Will it even work on
    > 110 volt?
    > I shall forever be a happy limey if I can just have a decent cup of *hot* tea
    > If anyone knows where I might purchase such a beast I shall also be eternally
    > greatful.
    > Thanks
    > Morkai

Jan Aug 18th 2002 11:31 pm

were not weird for wanting a cuppa tea !!.......*sigh*. Tea its a british thing ....
you americans just wouldnt understand lol jan :o) "Harry" <[email protected]>
wrote in message news:389503.1029714-
[email protected]
    > Target is definately the way to go. My British friend, who also lives in the U.S.,
    > bought us one from there as a wedding present. Believe me, that has to have been
    > one of the best, and most appreciated presents I have ever recieved in my life.
    > Anyway, the kettle from Target seriously kicks butt and doesn't seem appreciably
    > slower than ones in the U.K., despite the voltage.
    > -Harry
    >p.s. Isn't it wierd how British people can equate a good kettle to a 100% increase
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Morkai Kurst Aug 18th 2002 11:48 pm

Oh I don't know, I've taught my lousisanna bred partner to quite enjoy it. Before
he met me he had never cottened onto the concept of drinking tea hot let alone
with milk in.

Apart from hugging me the thing he misses most when I go back to England is my
english breakfasts and english tea :)

I don't think I'll ever get used to iced tea though, its just not right....

Morkai

"jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > were not weird for wanting a cuppa tea !!.......*sigh*. Tea its a british thing
    > .... you americans just wouldnt understand lol jan :o) "Harry"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Morkai Kurst Aug 19th 2002 12:01 am

"Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Order one from Canada. They use the same electrical current we do and it is
    > actually like the ones you get in England. We used one this past week in Nova
    > Scotia and the water was boiled before I had the tea cup and bag ready.

Nifty, I shall have a scour round

> Although, being the US part of the equation, I do prefer my water to come to a
    > rapid boil in a tea kettle on the stove. Just a matter of preferences.

I have to admit I've never seen a stove kettle let alone tried one. I do know I'm a
sod for walking away and forgetting I put the kettle on though, thats why I'm after
one that auto-switches off. I'm 24 and have the attention span of a gnat...

Morkai

Morkai Kurst Aug 19th 2002 12:03 am

Thankyou to everyone for their suggestions, I've got all the sites bookmarked and the
makes noted :)

Good luck to all

Morkai

Steve & Lisa Aug 19th 2002 12:12 am

Superior is from Canada and Rita is right, they do look similar to the one Steve had
in the UK. http://superiorcanada.com/

--
Lisa www.britsinth-
eus.com/marriednhappy/timeline-aos.htm

Steve & Lisa Aug 19th 2002 12:13 am

ROFL! I think hubby would agree with you on that one Grinchy. ;o)

Lisa

Harry Aug 19th 2002 2:52 am

Originally posted by Jan:
were not weird for wanting a cuppa tea !!.......*sigh*. Tea its a british thing ....
you americans just wouldnt understand lol jan :o)
Jan, I am British...and I was wrong about a decent kettle = 100% better standard of living, it's more like 200%!!!! I've gradually started drinking more coffee since moving here, but I agree, nothing can replace that first cuppa in the morning.

-Harry

L D Jones Aug 19th 2002 3:27 am

jan wrote:
    > were not weird for wanting a cuppa tea !!.......*sigh*. Tea its a british thing
    > .... you americans just wouldnt understand lol jan :o)

I'm American and I brought a year's supply of British tea back to the US with me :)
And the first thing my wife and I bought in the US was an electric kettle (even
before we had a flat). The tea in the US truly is poor. I've tried several varities
and can't get the same taste and I certainly didn't buy expensive tea in the UK.
Maybe it's the water ...

--
LD

Pulaski Aug 19th 2002 3:33 am

.... I don't think I'll ever get used to iced tea though, its just not right....

Morkai

I can't agree with you. I'm British and I had not tried iced tea until I visited Virginia four years ago to visit my now wife. I would not drink tea any other way now. :)

Donna Maindrault Aug 19th 2002 4:03 am

In article <[email protected]>, L D Jones

> I'm American and I brought a year's supply of British tea back to the US with me :)
    > And the first thing my wife and I bought in the US was an electric kettle (even
    > before we had a flat). The tea in the US truly is poor.

Most tea sold in the US is from China or India. It doesn't grow well here. In fact,
I'm surprised that it grows well in England.

-Donna

Rete Aug 19th 2002 4:38 am

Originally posted by L D Jones:
I'm American and I brought a year's supply of British tea back to the US with me :)
And the first thing my wife and I bought in the US was an electric kettle (even
before we had a flat). The tea in the US truly is poor. I've tried several varities
and can't get the same taste and I certainly didn't buy expensive tea in the UK.
Maybe it's the water ...

--
LD
No its not the water but there is a difference in teas. I've always been a tea drinker and only indulgence in coffee on occasion. Jim, fortunately, loves tea as well and when visiting him in Canada so often years ago I learned the huge differences between Canadian and US teas. Theirs is much stronger and almost bitter to my taste. Canadian tea is straight orange pekoe (I have the REd Rose box in front of me) and ours is a blend of black and orange pekoe. We always have several boxes of Canadian in our home and replenish the stock on our frequent visits to Canada.

As for Iced Tea, Jim's first introduction to it in Alabama was the same as most alien posters. Shock. But he will now drink it on occasion if it is home brewed and not sweetened. It is a nice summer refreshment.

Like all things it is what you are use to and have grown up with. I have tried some of the Canadian products everyone raves about, i.e. ketchup chips, and found them horrid. As for chocolate, I've had chocolate in Switzerland and in Germany and wasn't overly impressed. But then, I'm not a candy fan. Give me a US made Dove Bar, Dark Chocolate and my cravings are satisfied.

Rete

L D Jones Aug 19th 2002 5:23 am

Rete wrote:
    > Originally posted by L D Jones:
    > > I'm American and I brought a year's supply of British tea back to the US with me
    > > :) And the first thing my wife and I bought in the US was an electric kettle
    > > (even before we had a flat). The tea in the US truly is poor. I've tried several
    > > varities and can't get the same taste and I certainly didn't buy expensive tea in
    > > the UK. Maybe it's the water ...
    > >
    > > --
    > > LD
    > >
    > No its not the water but there is a difference in teas. I've always been a tea
    > drinker and only indulgence in coffee on occasion. Jim,

I think it's both. My comment was directed specifically at the high mineral content
in the water in southern England and especially London. I've lived in several US
states in the east and have not experienced lime scale to the degree I did in the UK.
This has to affect the taste of the tea. I drink the exact same tea in the US as I
did in the UK and it's quite different in taste.

L D Jones Aug 19th 2002 5:33 am

Donna Maindrault wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, L D Jones
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > I'm American and I brought a year's supply of British tea back to the US with me
    > > :) And the first thing my wife and I bought in the US was an electric kettle
    > > (even before we had a flat). The tea in the US truly is poor.
    > Most tea sold in the US is from China or India. It doesn't grow well here. In fact,
    > I'm surprised that it grows well in England.

I don't think I'm wrong when I say that no (or very, very little) tea is grown in
England (wrong climate). It's all imported from somewhere. I think most of the every
day stuff in the UK is from India. Historically, I think most of it comes from India
and Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). You've probably heard of "Ceylon tea" or "Assam", etc.
Most of the supermarket teas are blends of various Indian teas, as far as I know.

I have no idea how much tea is grown in the US. My guess is that drinking (black) tea
in the US is mostly imported as well.

Morkai Kurst Aug 19th 2002 5:37 am

"Pulaski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > I can't agree with you. I'm British and I had not tried iced tea until I visited
    > > Virginia four years ago to visit my now wife. I would not drink tea any other
    > > way now. :)

Heh, I guess it has to be said that most people don't consider my tea tea. My general
rule of thumb to people is when you think you've put enough milk in add another good
dollop. On the otherhand although people accuse me of just waving a teabag at it they
don't understand its just so pale cause it's
1/4 milk :)

Morkai

Paul Wells Aug 19th 2002 5:37 am

"Morkai Kurst" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
I like the adverts where a kettle is described as a wonderous new invention which is
far better at heating water than a microwave.

--
paul

Paul Wells Aug 19th 2002 5:41 am

Harry <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Target is definately the way to go. My British friend, who also lives in the U.S.,
    > bought us one from there as a wedding present. Believe me, that has to have been
    > one of the best, and most appreciated presents I have ever recieved in my life.
    > Anyway, the kettle from Target seriously kicks butt and doesn't seem appreciably
    > slower than ones in the U.K., despite the voltage.
    > -Harry

A good toaster would increase it another 100% - American toast tastes different to UK
toast bewcause of the same electrical problems toasters have as kettles, it takes
longer to heat the bread so the texture is different.

--
paul

NC Penguin Aug 19th 2002 5:57 am

Originally posted by Donna Maindrault:
In article <[email protected]>, L D Jones

> I'm American and I brought a year's supply of British tea back to the US with me :)
    > And the first thing my wife and I bought in the US was an electric kettle (even
    > before we had a flat). The tea in the US truly is poor.

Most tea sold in the US is from China or India. It doesn't grow well here. In fact,
I'm surprised that it grows well in England.

-Donna
Donna,

I hope you're pulling my leg about your last sentence.... LOL :)

Morkai Kurst Aug 19th 2002 6:08 am

> No its not the water but there is a difference in teas.

I have to agree with LD on this one - When I went on an exchange trip to holland I
was presented with this cup of black tea with no sugar. Desperate not to offend the
family I was staying with I drank it, and to my surprise it was wonderful. At the end
of the week I asked the mum if I could take some back with me, she presented me to my
utter surprise with a pack of very british yorkshire tea. I checked with my friend
and she said thats whats they always drank. So off I toddled home, full of wonder and
eager to try it out.

I have to say it was the most disgusting thing I've ever had, it tasted nothing like
what I had in holland. And the only difference was the water.

Maybe they had some magic art of brewing tea out there but it for sure wasn't a
difference with the teabags :)

I was living in the midlands of the UK at one time and working in London, when I
came down it took the 3 days in london to get used to the tea again, it just wasn't
the same, despite being the same teabag. I guess english limescale has a lot to
answer for..

Morkai

L D Jones Aug 19th 2002 6:22 am

Morkai Kurst wrote:
[ taste of tea ]

> it just wasn't the same, despite being the same teabag. I guess english limescale
    > has a lot to answer for..

Please bring some over so I can dissolve it in my cup. I could probably manufacture
it here in the US but it won't taste the same since it has to run through "English
pipes" to have the correct taste :-)

Morkai Kurst Aug 19th 2002 6:59 am

"L D Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Morkai Kurst wrote:
    > >
    > [ taste of tea ]
    > > it just wasn't the same, despite being the same teabag. I guess english limescale
    > > has a lot to answer for..
    > Please bring some over so I can dissolve it in my cup. I could probably manufacture
    > it here in the US but it won't taste the same since it has to run through "English
    > pipes" to have the correct taste :-

Rofl,. shame I didn't know a few months back - my company sells water heating
equipment. One of the things that come under that catagory are the wall mounted
plumbed in kettles (I'm working on hints for a wedding present, 110v 5litres of
permenant boiling water constantly on tap :) - well being the sort of company we are
we had to try one out when they first came on the market, so we could tell our
customers the truth. Several years later we decided to give it a decent burial, but
at the same time out of natural curiosity we split the tank open. Now our shop is on
the outskirts of london - limescale is a nightmare, unlike what we tell our customers
this heater hadn't been touched in 4 years, we took a 3 kilo solid chunk of scale out
of the tank..... We kept the bag of scale as a sample to show people who didn't
belive what scale could really build up to.

Unfortunately we threw it away recently in a fit of pique :)

Morkai

Rete Aug 19th 2002 7:38 am

Morkai

I agree with Jones ... I never thought about the differences in water from region to region will alter the taste of the brewed tea.

Rete

rogerpenycate Aug 19th 2002 8:26 am

Originally posted by NC Penguin:

Donna,

I hope you're pulling my leg about your last sentence.... LOL :)

So if that's not tea I'm growing in my back garden, what is it ?
It looks like tea and sort of shaped like the Canadian maple leaf on the flag.
Perhaps someone can also explain why I have loads of long haired hippy looking folk looking over my hedge saying things
like "Hey Man" and "Wow, far out man"

NC Penguin Aug 19th 2002 8:44 am

the enemy that is limescale

> No its not the water but there is a difference in teas.

I have to agree with LD on this one - When I went on an exchange trip to holland I
was presented with this cup of black tea with no sugar. Desperate not to offend the
family I was staying with I drank it, and to my surprise it was wonderful. At the end
of the week I asked the mum if I could take some back with me, she presented me to my
utter surprise with a pack of very british yorkshire tea. I checked with my friend
and she said thats whats they always drank. So off I toddled home, full of wonder and
eager to try it out.

<<snip>>

I was living in the midlands of the UK at one time and working in London, when I
came down it took the 3 days in london to get used to the tea again, it just wasn't
the same, despite being the same teabag. I guess english limescale has a lot to
answer for..

Morkai
A couple of years back, I worked with a lady from Yorkshire. She told me that the tea called Yorkshire tea was so called because the tea was selected to go best with hard Yorkshire water. Is there any truth in this?

Limescale not only screws up the flavour of your tea but also can effect your health. I've known people (an American, a friend who moved from Hounslow) who've moved to north London then developed skin problems. I put this down to the hard water, specifically limescale.

I also know that those with HIV and AIDS and having treatment for these conditions and disease have their water treated (softened) to reduce limescale, probably for the very health reasons I mention above.

rogerpenycate Aug 19th 2002 8:54 am

Re: the enemy that is limescale

Limescale not only screws up the flavour of your tea but also can effect your health. I've known people (an American, a friend who moved from Hounslow) who've moved to north London then developed skin problems. I put this down to the hard water, specifically limescale.

I know this may be irrelevant, but I was brought up in Feltham
(the next town to Hounslow)
Did you know that Phil Collins was born in Hounslow.
Sorry to waffle.

Kimberly Aug 19th 2002 11:15 am

I love a nice cup of Earl Grey. I have only one thing to say on the
subject....MICROWAVE!!!!!!!!..just put the tea bag in the cup of water and nuke it
for 2 minutes on high...let it set for 5....it's wonderful....I used to go the route
of boiling water and warmed pot...but this is easy and fast.....give it a try...you
might be surprised.