British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   A kettle, a kettle, my kingdom for a kettle! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/kettle-kettle-my-kingdom-kettle-93610/)

Morkai Kurst Aug 18th 2002 10:16 pm

A kettle, a kettle, my kingdom for a kettle!

Slightly OT if you hadn't figured from the subject

Where in the world might I find such an obscure item as a 3kW kettle?

The only one I have found so far is from Walmart, but its 1kW, takes 10 mins to
boil and you have to pull the plug out the wall to turn it off (the issuing sparks
when I do that always worry me too..) If I'm upstairs and don't hear the whistle
its just sits and boils its proverbials off..Oh and I can't see how much water is
in there either.

I'm in Monroe, LA which while having every type of resturant you could possibly dream
of doesn't have much else. There was a Target being built just as I left, will that
maybe yield any more joy?

Otherwise will I be better off taking a supa dupa whamo dulux version that
boils in just over a minute and getting a converter for the plug? Will it even
work on 110 volt?

I shall forever be a happy limey if I can just have a decent cup of *hot* tea

If anyone knows where I might purchase such a beast I shall also be eternally
greatful.

Thanks

Morkai

Steve & Lisa Aug 18th 2002 10:48 pm

Re: A kettle, a kettle, my kingdom for a kettle!

http://www.bodum.com/ We have a Bodum kettle, it
heats quickly and gets hot enough for Steve's coffee (he likes Nescafé). We found
ours two years ago at Target.

Also here is another kettle site:
http://superiorcanada.com/

Hope this helps.

--
Lisa www.britsinth-
eus.com/marriednhappy/timeline-aos.htm

"Morkai Kurst" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1029709007.10090.0.nnrp-07.9e98fd19@n-
ews.demon.co.uk
    > Slightly OT if you hadn't figured from the subject
    > Where in the world might I find such an obscure item as a 3kW kettle?
    > The only one I have found so far is from Walmart, but its 1kW, takes 10
mins
    > to boil and you have to pull the plug out the wall to turn it off (the issuing
    > sparks when I do that always worry me too..) If I'm upstairs and don't hear the
    > whistle its just sits and boils its proverbials off..Oh and
I
    > can't see how much water is in there either.
    > I'm in Monroe, LA which while having every type of resturant you could possibly
    > dream of doesn't have much else. There was a Target being built just as I left,
    > will that maybe yield any more joy?
    > Otherwise will I be better off taking a supa dupa whamo dulux version that boils
    > in just over a minute and getting a converter for the plug? Will it even work on
    > 110 volt?
    > I shall forever be a happy limey if I can just have a decent cup of *hot* tea
    > If anyone knows where I might purchase such a beast I shall also be eternally
    > greatful.
    > Thanks
    > Morkai

Denis Barlow Aug 18th 2002 10:54 pm

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 23:16:44 +0100, "Morkai Kurst"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Slightly OT if you hadn't figured from the subject
    >Where in the world might I find such an obscure item as a 3kW kettle?
    >The only one I have found so far is from Walmart, but its 1kW, takes 10 mins to
    >boil and you have to pull the plug out the wall to turn it off (the issuing sparks
    >when I do that always worry me too..) If I'm upstairs and don't hear the whistle
    >its just sits and boils its proverbials off..Oh and I can't see how much water is
    >in there either.
    >I'm in Monroe, LA which while having every type of resturant you could possibly
    >dream of doesn't have much else. There was a Target being built just as I left, will
    >that maybe yield any more joy?
    >Otherwise will I be better off taking a supa dupa whamo dulux version that boils
    >in just over a minute and getting a converter for the plug? Will it even work on
    >110 volt?
    >I shall forever be a happy limey if I can just have a decent cup of *hot* tea
    >If anyone knows where I might purchase such a beast I shall also be eternally
    >greatful.
    >Thanks
    >Morkai

Like you thought, Target do a pretty good Philips cordless kettle for $35 but don't
expect it to be as good as the ones you are used to in the UK.

If you were acquainted with Ivy Watts you would know that a 3kw kettle takes 13 amps
of current at 230 volts (3000 watts divided by 230 volts = 13 amps) Over here where
the mains voltage is only 110 volts a 3kw kettle would require over 27 amps of
current. That's why you don't get many 3 kw kettles over here.

Denis

Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?

Morkai Kurst Aug 18th 2002 11:06 pm

> Like you thought, Target do a pretty good Philips cordless kettle for $35 but don't
    > expect it to be as good as the ones you are used to in the UK.
    > If you were acquainted with Ivy Watts you would know that a 3kw kettle takes 13
    > amps of current at 230 volts (3000 watts divided by 230 volts = 13 amps) Over here
    > where the mains voltage is only 110 volts a 3kw kettle would require over 27 amps
    > of current. That's why you don't get many 3 kw kettles over here.

I knew there was a reason I gave up engineering to become a computer programmer :)
*sigh* a country full of wonderful things but a lousy electric supply. My partner
told me there is actually a 240v supply in a house (to run the cooker, fridge etc)
but if I can't find the kettle I can't even hijack one of those outlets. Ho hum, at
least I can get one that auto switches off and is cordless, I can stop worrying about
burning the element out if it goes dry when I forget about it. The sparks when I pull
the plug out the socket worry me more.. is that an indication of bad wiring or just
cause none of the plugs have an earth in them?

Thanks

Morkai

Morkai Kurst Aug 18th 2002 11:09 pm

"Steve & Lisa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
om
    > http://www.bodum.com/ We have a Bodum kettle, it
    > heats quickly and gets hot enough for Steve's coffee (he likes Nescafé). We found
    > ours two years ago at Target.
    > Also here is another kettle site:
    > http://superiorcanada.com/
    > Hope this helps.

Thanks for the links, I shall go hunting in Target and see what I can find. Hopefully
it'll be built by the time I get there :)

Morkai

Pimpbot Aug 18th 2002 11:39 pm

Originally posted by Morkai Kurst:
"Steve & Lisa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
om
    > http://www.bodum.com/ We have a Bodum kettle, it
    > heats quickly and gets hot enough for Steve's coffee (he likes Nescafé). We found
    > ours two years ago at Target.
    > Also here is another kettle site:
    > http://superiorcanada.com/
    > Hope this helps.

Thanks for the links, I shall go hunting in Target and see what I can find. Hopefully
it'll be built by the time I get there :)

Morkai
So thats why my American girlfriend bought a whistling kettle you place on the oven hob instead of an electric one:) I didnt know it was that hard to get a decent kettle in America!

Harry Aug 18th 2002 11:45 pm

Target is definately the way to go. My British friend, who also lives in the U.S., bought us one from there as a wedding present. Believe me, that has to have been one of the best, and most appreciated presents I have ever recieved in my life.
Anyway, the kettle from Target seriously kicks butt and doesn't seem appreciably slower than ones in the U.K., despite the voltage.

-Harry

p.s. Isn't it wierd how British people can equate a good kettle to a 100% increase in the standard of living?! Hahaha!

Pimpbot Aug 18th 2002 11:46 pm

Originally posted by Pimpbot:

So thats why my American girlfriend bought a whistling kettle you place on the oven hob instead of an electric one:) I didnt know it was that hard to get a decent kettle in America!
P.S. Just in case she reads this, I do love my whistling kettle:) Reminds me of the good old days LOL and as long as I get my hot tea or coffee, I'm happy.

Denis Barlow Aug 19th 2002 12:23 am

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 00:06:38 +0100, "Morkai Kurst"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Like you thought, Target do a pretty good Philips cordless kettle for $35 but
    >> don't expect it to be as good as the ones you are used to in the UK.
    >> If you were acquainted with Ivy Watts you would know that a 3kw kettle takes 13
    >> amps of current at 230 volts (3000 watts divided by 230 volts = 13 amps) Over here
    >> where the mains voltage is only 110 volts a 3kw kettle would require over 27 amps
    >> of current. That's why you don't get many 3 kw kettles over here.
    >I knew there was a reason I gave up engineering to become a computer programmer :)
    >*sigh* a country full of wonderful things but a lousy electric supply. My partner
    >told me there is actually a 240v supply in a house (to run the cooker, fridge etc)
    >but if I can't find the kettle I can't even hijack one of those outlets. Ho hum, at
    >least I can get one that auto switches off and is cordless, I can stop worrying
    >about burning the element out if it goes dry when I forget about it. The sparks when
    >I pull the plug out the socket worry me more.. is that an indication of bad wiring
    >or just cause none of the plugs have an earth in them?
    >Thanks
    >Morkai

Hi again! The answer to your question is "none of the above" Even though it is only a
1 kw kettle it is still taking 9 amps of current and that is trying to arc across the
air gap as you pull the plug out. Eventually you could do damage to the socket and/or
plug but it's not an indication of bad wiring.

Denis

Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?

Sthrnshrte Aug 19th 2002 12:36 am

>even hijack one of those outlets. Ho hum, at least I can get one that auto switches
    >off and is cordless, I can stop worrying about burning the element out if it goes
    >dry when I forget about it.

I think the sparks occur because it is a Walmart kettle. I used to live in Monroe
and I believe some of the department stores in Pecanland Mall sell kettles that are
bit better than the one you've got at the moment. Possibly Dillards. Didn't know
Monroe was building a Target, they were just touching up the Walmart when I had left.
If there is still a Service Merchandise there, although I think it may have gone out
of business, they had some. Hope it helps. I'm in Baton Rouge now and couldn't find
a kettle anywhere. My "Mum-in-law" came to visit and immediately sniffed one out
from Target. It's quick, cordless, and looks like it came from Argos.

Ash

Betastar Aug 19th 2002 12:44 am

Crate and Barrel also has a Bodum kettle - go to
http://www.crateandbarrel.com and searc
for "kettle"

Rete Aug 19th 2002 12:45 am

Order one from Canada. They use the same electrical current we do and it is actually like the ones you get in England. We used one this past week in Nova Scotia and the water was boiled before I had the tea cup and bag ready.

Although, being the US part of the equation, I do prefer my water to come to a rapid boil in a tea kettle on the stove. Just a matter of preferences.

Rete

Georgesgirl35 Aug 19th 2002 12:49 am

bbcamerica.com they also sell bodum kettles. I have one from walmart and it takes
forever to boil.

Grinch Aug 19th 2002 1:43 am

"Harry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

>p.s. Isn't it wierd how British people can equate a good kettle to a 100% increase
    > in the standard of living?! Hahaha!

a good beer is better

Grinch

Jan Aug 19th 2002 11:08 am

We got a braun kettle from QVC (www.qvc.com) it
didnt come cheap but hey i get a decent cuppa tea before i go to work in the
morning. Jan :o)

"Morkai Kurst" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1029709007.10090.0.nnrp-07.9e98fd19@n-
ews.demon.co.uk
    > Slightly OT if you hadn't figured from the subject
    > Where in the world might I find such an obscure item as a 3kW kettle?
    > The only one I have found so far is from Walmart, but its 1kW, takes 10
mins
    > to boil and you have to pull the plug out the wall to turn it off (the issuing
    > sparks when I do that always worry me too..) If I'm upstairs and don't hear the
    > whistle its just sits and boils its proverbials off..Oh and
I
    > can't see how much water is in there either.
    > I'm in Monroe, LA which while having every type of resturant you could possibly
    > dream of doesn't have much else. There was a Target being built just as I left,
    > will that maybe yield any more joy?
    > Otherwise will I be better off taking a supa dupa whamo dulux version that boils
    > in just over a minute and getting a converter for the plug? Will it even work on
    > 110 volt?
    > I shall forever be a happy limey if I can just have a decent cup of *hot* tea
    > If anyone knows where I might purchase such a beast I shall also be eternally
    > greatful.
    > Thanks
    > Morkai