Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Job Hunting Frustration

Job Hunting Frustration

Old Jan 17th 2009, 2:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Hunting Frustration

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Good luck!

The above is an interesting question. I saw a job on Monster yesterday (this is somewhat academic as I wasn't qualified for it) that said "No expats will be considered for this position".
Apply, sue the snot out of them for discrimination, sorted...they aren't allowed to say that.

They are allowed to say only USC's are allowed to apply if it is a government related type of job etc. They're not really allowed to say they won't consider sponsoring people either, even though that's usually a given.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 3:20 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Apply, sue the snot out of them for discrimination, sorted...they aren't allowed to say that.

They are allowed to say only USC's are allowed to apply if it is a government related type of job etc. They're not really allowed to say they won't consider sponsoring people either, even though that's usually a given.
The latter is what I'd thought and, oddly enough, the former did occur to me Sadly it wouldn't fly, as they want three years well head experience, which I don't have - so they'd have a legit reason for not hiring me
Old Jan 17th 2009, 3:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
The latter is what I'd thought and, oddly enough, the former did occur to me Sadly it wouldn't fly, as they want three years well head experience, which I don't have - so they'd have a legit reason for not hiring me
It's still discrimination, so even if you aren't qualified, you were discriminated from even applying for the position
Old Jan 17th 2009, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
...They're not really allowed to say they won't consider sponsoring people either, even though that's usually a given.
Why is that 'not really allowed' - it seems a perfectly factual statement to me, and one that saves both parties from wasted effort. What rule are they violating?

It seems to go along with 'will not relocate' or similar - they are just telling you up front that they are not willing to consider extra expenses such as relocation, sponsorship, etc.

========================
On the positive side, I saw this article today on the local paper's website. "Skilled workers needed for biotech jobs". Extract: "...Biotechnology remains a job creation engine for California ... many biomedical jobs may go unfilled because the state's programs in science education aren't meeting the demand. ... Biomedical companies and hospitals need licensed clinical laboratory scientists to carry out diagnostic tests and other lab tasks to support medical treatment and research. If the state quadrupled its output of such workers, Gardner said, it wouldn't meet the need in hospitals alone. And more such workers are being sought by companies that are steadily developing an array of gene-based tests ..."

My g/f's nephew somewhat confirmed this; he was a fresh graduate last year with some biotech degree, and got his first job as a contractor for some biotech company in South San Francisco (the hotbed of biotech stuff). That company wasn't doing well, and had to cut his contract, but his boss was so impressed by him, he called his buddy over at another biotech company literally down the street, and got him an interview there for a similar position; he got the job (this was in November - at the height of the economic crisis). He said the company has many unfilled positions. Too late for me to retrain ... but - there are industries out there that are booming.

Last edited by Steerpike; Jan 17th 2009 at 6:17 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike
- there are industries out there that are booming.
Oddly enough, ISTR that was the case with biotech in the UK, during the last recession.

It would have been nice if some of those boom industries were round our way, mind
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Why is that 'not really allowed' - it seems a perfectly factual statement to me, and one that saves both parties from wasted effort. What rule are they violating?
It's some federal anti discrimination thing, not allowed to discriminate against foreign applicants.

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:59 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Networking just promotes incompetence in the work place, people give jobs to their friends who aren't really qualified. I've met an unbelievable number of stupid people who talk a lot working in good jobs because they knew someone at the company.
I think the bit in bold is key, whether they knew someone in the company or not, and to be fair it isn't much different in the UK. That is why it is incumbent upon anyone with a bit of sense to trip these people up whenever you see them at work - if you don't you are part of the problem, not part of the solution. And if your employer doesn't support your actions then you are better off out of there anyway.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:55 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay....I know you're logged on...how did Sat. go?
Old Jan 20th 2009, 12:09 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
Okay....I know you're logged on...how did Sat. go?
lol... it went really well, I thought it did anyway!

I got on well with the owner, it was a very informal interview, if I can even call it that, she was more interested in how I was settling in etc than my experience! They did say they would call me today to let me know either way, but I heard nothing so I called them at 4.30 to see if they had made a decision yet.

I spoke to one of the ladies that did the first interview, and apparently there has been another applicant that they want to talk to who can't make it for interview until Wednesday, so they are going to call me on Thursday - my first thought was that they can't have been that impressed by me to want to interview someone else at such a late stage, but then DH pointed out to me that if they had ruled me out completely they would have just told me today that it was a no.

Also went to the 'working interview' at the animal hospital today - I have to say that it really isn't me - I like animals, but not when there are 6 cats crawling all over me and the reception desk , I think I will probably have nightmares about it tonight! If I get offered it I will have to take it though - even though its half the money of the Dental surgery.....
Old Jan 20th 2009, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clarissageo
lol... it went really well, I thought it did anyway!

I got on well with the owner, it was a very informal interview, if I can even call it that, she was more interested in how I was settling in etc than my experience! They did say they would call me today to let me know either way, but I heard nothing so I called them at 4.30 to see if they had made a decision yet.

I spoke to one of the ladies that did the first interview, and apparently there has been another applicant that they want to talk to who can't make it for interview until Wednesday, so they are going to call me on Thursday - my first thought was that they can't have been that impressed by me to want to interview someone else at such a late stage, but then DH pointed out to me that if they had ruled me out completely they would have just told me today that it was a no.

Also went to the 'working interview' at the animal hospital today - I have to say that it really isn't me - I like animals, but not when there are 6 cats crawling all over me and the reception desk , I think I will probably have nightmares about it tonight! If I get offered it I will have to take it though - even though its half the money of the Dental surgery.....
Keep your spirits up on the first job! The period between interview and decision has to be one of the most nail-biting experiences in life, and all manner of outcomes fly through your mind ... just get through it, and you'll find out soon enough. It sounds to me like you did well on the Dental job, and you have a good chance.

I will add one bit of advice; when you get into these interviews that are really informal, don't let your guard down. Of course, if they are being friendly and chatty, you should be friendly and chatty back - but don't forget that everything you say is still being 'measured'. I had a fabulous candidate interview with me for an IT position last year. I was the hiring manager and it was "90%" my decision, but I had her meet several of the people she'd be working with. She had what she thought was a 'really great' meeting with one of my colleagues; but when I talked to my colleague afterwards, she said "all she ever talked about was how close this office is to her home - I think she's only interested in the job because of our location" and she strongly opposed her being hired.

Anyway - GOOD LUCK !!
Old Jan 24th 2009, 2:29 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it looks like I was over confident - didn't get the job at the dentist.

I did get the usual 'we'll keep your resume on file, the other person just had more experience' bullshit, but I'm totally gutted.

To go from an EA position in England, to applying for a receptionist job over here (which was the first job I ever did from leaving school) to be told that someone else had more experience has made me both angry and demotivated in equal measures.

To top it off, we got our electric/gas bill today which was bloody $400, and I have no clue how the hell its going to get paid. DH asked his mother if she could help, but noooooooo, she's way way too busy helping his Ex Wife out (here unto refered to as BFH) to help us.

Cue major row tonight.... BFH is still considered to be the daughter in law in his family eyes - passes (zoo etc) that his mother buys are in DH and BFH's name, not mine - I don't exist - right now I feel like the dumb brit ATM machine thats been a cash cow for the last 18 months, and I'm wondering if they think I actually owe them all something for me and the kids being here! FFS, If I wanted to be in the US *That* Badly I would have married a yank years ago........

This is one of those moments that I'm sure everyone has had where they just want to be back home with 3 pin plugs and mushy peas and decent bacon..... and a big hug from my mum

*sorry to rant and thread hijack *
Old Jan 24th 2009, 2:35 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I did get the usual 'we'll keep your resume on file, the other person just had more experience' bullshit, but I'm totally gutted.

To go from an EA position in England, to applying for a receptionist job over here (which was the first job I ever did from leaving school) to be told that someone else had more experience has made me both angry and demotivated in equal measures.

To top it off, we got our electric/gas bill today which was bloody $400, and I have no clue how the hell its going to get paid. DH asked his mother if she could help, but noooooooo, she's way way too busy helping his Ex Wife out (here unto refered to as BFH) to help us.

Cue major row tonight.... BFH is still considered to be the daughter in law in his family eyes - passes (zoo etc) that his mother buys are in DH and BFH's name, not mine - I don't exist - right now I feel like the dumb brit ATM machine thats been a cash cow for the last 18 months, and I'm wondering if they think I actually owe them all something for me and the kids being here! FFS, If I wanted to be in the US *That* Badly I would have married a yank years ago........

This is one of those moments that I'm sure everyone has had where they just want to be back home with 3 pin plugs and mushy peas and decent bacon..... and a big hug from my mum

Oh my dearie, that sucks the big one seven different ways. I am sorry to hear that this is all crashing down on you. BUT you are a tough cookie I can tell and you will overcome. I would say it's up to your DH to straighten his mother out-she seems to be lacking some reality here. Still, chin up kiddo and never surrender, never give up and other words to that effect. HUG.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

fogga4000 will become famous soon enough

Chin up girl, i'm struggling with this job hunting as well. I have good management experience and a decent degree but it seems to count for nothing even when applying for entry level posts. I thought being in NYC there would be plenty of jobs around. Boy was I wrong

Its starting to hit me how bad this whole economic crisis is.

Oh well at least we're British.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That SUCKS. So sorry to hear that. Haven't been following your story in detail, but if you've been pulling in the money for the past 18 months, then dammit, you deserve more respect ... actually, you deserve it anyway!

Keep at it, though - you'll get there. This is really and truly one of the worst times in history, economy-wise, so don't blame yourself. If it's any consolation (and I'm sure it's not), it's probably every bit as hard back in the UK to find a job, especially as a 'stranger in town'.

Good Luck - keep at it and you'll get there!

PS I'll make an effigy of the BFH and stick pins in it tonight!
Old Jan 24th 2009, 6:53 am

That SUCKS. So sorry to hear that. Haven't been following your story in detail, but if you've been pulling in the money for the past 18 months, then dammit, you deserve more respect ... actually, you deserve it anyway!

Keep at it, though - you'll get there. This is really and truly one of the worst times in history, economy-wise, so don't blame yourself. If it's any consolation (and I'm sure it's not), it's probably every bit as hard back in the UK to find a job, especially as a 'stranger in town'.

Good Luck - keep at it and you'll get there!

PS I'll make an effigy of the BFH and stick pins in it tonight!
Clarissa, you have my sympathies. It's quite rare that I agree with Steerpike, but here, for once, I'm able to say that I'm in complete agreement. Hell, I'll even pass him the pins to stick in the BFH's doll.

To practical matters - you also mentioned an interview at an animal hospital. Has there been any news on that? I must disclose a personal interest - after 10 plus years of doing covert investigations, I quite like the idea of just cuddling kittens and puppies for a living and have been thinking of going in that direction myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.