Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Jeep Liberty/Grand Cherokee Fire Risk

Jeep Liberty/Grand Cherokee Fire Risk

Old Jun 6th 2013, 1:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jeep Liberty/Grand Cherokee Fire Risk

Originally Posted by Michael
The newer models that have problem are the Liberty and I assume the majority are not the limited edition. However even with the limited edition and every possible option installed on the vehicle and 60,000 miles (pretty low mileage for a 6 year old car), the private party price in good condition is $12,900. I suppose if they offered the certified pre-owned price for the Limited edition in excellent condition with every option imaginable installed, that would be $19,000 but I can't imagine that they would offer that much unless the vehicle had all those options, was in that condition, and a significant portion was a rebate on the purchase price of a new vehicle.
Your talking at cross purposes, the Grand Cherokee is a totally different vehicle, and is substantially more expensive. The Liberty was a weird looking (badly proportioned) vehicle that never sold well, and neither looked nor handled like a "proper" Jeep, I am not surprised that it is selling so cheaply.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 2:29 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Your talking at cross purposes, the Grand Cherokee is a totally different vehicle, and is substantially more expensive. The Liberty was a weird looking (badly proportioned) vehicle that never sold well, and neither looked nor handled like a "proper" Jeep, I am not surprised that it is selling so cheaply.
Looking at it again the Grand Cherokee models that are effected are 2005 and earlier. They moved the petrol tank when they changed the model for 2006.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

Am watching this one closely - I have a 2004 Jeep GC.

I'd love it if Jeep bought it back off me for the right price.

Originally Posted by Michael
Currently I suspect the vehicles prior to 2000 likely have a value of less than $1,000 and private party sales of a 2007 model is currently $9,800 in good condition with 60,000 miles and a 2005 is $6,600.
Not sure where you got your prices from but I'd love to come and buy another Jeep with you if you can pick them up for that price

A '99 Grand Cherokee in good shape average miles is around $2,500-4,000

My 2004 in mint condition with low miles was $10,000 two years ago - probably worth $7,500 ish now
Old Jun 7th 2013, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by King Gimp
Am watching this one closely - I have a 2004 Jeep GC.

I'd love it if Jeep bought it back off me for the right price.

Not sure where you got your prices from but I'd love to come and buy another Jeep with you if you can pick them up for that price

A '99 Grand Cherokee in good shape average miles is around $2,500-4,000

My 2004 in mint condition with low miles was $10,000 two years ago - probably worth $7,500 ish now
Kelly Blue Book which is what everybody uses.

http://www.kbb.com/?psid=99999&gclid...14b0db&sissr=1

You may think your vehicle is worth more but just like when your car is totaled, the adjustor will likely offer below or at low blue book private party value and then you have to argue with them for months to try to get the price up and try to prove that your vehicle is better than they want to pay. I suspect that a Chrysler adjustor (they only use adjustors that save them money) would inspect your vehicle looking at the mileage and any possible flaw and based on that, he would offer below the value according to the Kelly Blue book.

Dealers may possibly offer more than the Kelly Blue book private party price for a trade in but that will likely depend on demand for that vehicle and/or the new vehicle, amount of dealer kick backs they are getting on the new vehicle, the price you paid for the new vehicle (was it discounted from sticker price or was there added useless options to the sticker price), and the competition in the area for the vehicle that is being sold.

Last edited by Michael; Jun 7th 2013 at 10:12 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Chrysler has now relented, and, will recall 2.7 million vehicles;

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/18/auto...html?hpt=hp_t2

Jim.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 9:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Chrysler has now relented, and, will recall 2.7 million vehicles;

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/18/auto...html?hpt=hp_t2

Jim.
Apparently Chrysler group has agreed to "inspect" them, but given the issue is the position of the gas tank, what is the purpose of the inspection? ..... Do they not know where they installed the gas tank in each vehicle, or have owners been engaging in widespread after-market modifications to move the gas tank to another location?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 18th 2013 at 9:21 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently Chrysler group has agreed to "inspect" them, but given the issue is the position of the gas tank, what is the purpose of the inspection?
So as sales of the current range don't go head-first into the Khazi.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

I am hearing this correctly? the recall and proposed solution involves the installation of a towing hitch on all vehicles?

Last edited by Uncle_Bob; Jun 18th 2013 at 9:36 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 10:48 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
I am hearing this correctly? the recall and proposed solution involves the installation of a towing hitch on all vehicles?
I read that, too.

That's the sort of compromise deal that I suggested earlier. If the fuel tanks and related systems were replaced, that could cost well over a billion dollars. A tow hitch is fairly useless, as far as solutions go, but that will cost a whole lot less than a billion dollars.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

Dammit - I was hoping for a buy back programme - esp as the head gasket blew last week.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 5:43 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

We had the misfortune to get a Jeep Liberty from Enterprise when we ordered a SUV rental to drive from Phoenix to Flagstaff. A 2 hour drive up 7000 feet in elevation.

Its a horrible ugly vehicle. Small interior which is hard and cheap. Bad gas mileage and only 210 hp for a 3.7L V6.

It totally reinforced my view that American cars are generally crap.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

We had the misfortune to get a Jeep Liberty from Enterprise when we ordered a SUV rental to drive from Phoenix to Flagstaff. A 2 hour drive up 7000 feet in elevation.

Its a horrible ugly vehicle. Small interior which is hard and cheap. Bad gas mileage and only 210 hp for a 3.7L V6.

Not necessarily. There are some quite decent American Cars out there.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:04 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

That vehicle was designed when Daimler, aka Mercedes-Benz, was in charge of Chrysler.

Ain't irony grand?
Old Jun 19th 2013, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Not necessarily. There are some quite decent American Cars out there.
And just as i said that

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/19/auto...html?hpt=hp_t2
Old Jun 20th 2013, 12:50 am
Bloody Yank

The thing about that particular study is that includes user problems with technology and user-unfriendly infotainment systems.

A lot of the quality complaints in the survey are about NAV systems that are difficult to use, bad bluetooth connections, etc. GM actually does a decent job with those things, which helps their results.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.