Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Jackonsonville Brits - anyone there?

Jackonsonville Brits - anyone there?

Old Apr 1st 2010, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

Banker_Boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Jackonsonville Brits - anyone there?

Hi
just hoping to connect with any Brits in Jacksonville - possible role for me so considering moving out there but not sure of the 'ins and outs' .. let me know if anone there and any help you can give me would be erally appreciated.
thanks
BB
Old Apr 13th 2010, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Rob73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Jackonsonville Brits - anyone there?

Hi BB

I get the impression that there are not that many Brits in North Florida. I've just transferred with the firm I worked for in the UK. I'm based in Jax, but live out of the city so I don't know much about what the it's like as a place to live. However, my colleagues are nearly all locals, either having lived away and come back, or always lived here, so it must be a pretty decent place to live.

The obvious advantages are cost of living (the dollar stretches far more than the pound and there is no state income tax in FL - you pay only Federal income tax on your earnings), the weather, the beaches and the people - it's a far more civil society here than the thug state Britain has become and Southern hospitality is abundent. The downsides are that pretty much everything is different and the government is, if anything, worse than the UK's in terms of response time, so expect plenty of hassle when you are first here. Having said that, people have really helped us settle and we've made some good friends in a short space of time. We're still only a couple of months in, so still experiencing the odd hiccup, but overall really enjoying it, especially the weather - highs in the low 80s this week!

Good luck whatever you decide. Happy to try and answer any specific questions you may have.

Rob
Old Apr 13th 2010, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

Banker_Boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Jackonsonville Brits - anyone there?

Rob

Many thanks for the reply - I was begining to think there weren't any Brits in JAX. Sounds like your stay so far has been good.
I've got lots of questions but am still waiting for the role with the new firm to come through. Maybe once that happens, I will drop you another reply and then ask a few more q's to find out more about Jax.
You say you're out of Jax, where have you decided to live? Wife / kids?

Cheers

BB
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Rob73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Jackonsonville Brits - anyone there?

My wife works at UF, so we live in Gainesville. It's 1h45min door-to-door, but as we have two young kids it makes sense for only one of us to commute. There are great schools in Gainesville, it's an easy drive and petrol is cheap!

Once the role is confirmed, feel free to get in touch with any queries. If I don't know the answer, I'll do my best to find out from colleagues.

Rob