Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

It's so dangerous to be a black American, I've sought asylum in Canada Kyle Lydell Ca

Wikiposts

It's so dangerous to be a black American, I've sought asylum in Canada Kyle Lydell Ca

Old Nov 14th 2015, 3:30 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's so dangerous to be a black American, I've sought asylum in Canada Kyle Lydel

Well, we all know how racially unequal America is. Some African-Americans apparently believe it's necessary to seek asylum from it in Canada.

I'm really interested in learning more about the asylum bit. I reckon a good number of afro-Europeans would be on the first available flight.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 4:42 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's so dangerous to be a black American, I've sought asylum in Canada Kyle Lydel

Originally Posted by amideislas
But to suggest there is less discrimination in Europe than in the US is to be blind to reality.
I didn't see anyone here who was doing that.

In any case, the subject of the OP is trying to emigrate to Canada. I realize that as a Yank that my knowledge of geography is necessarily limited, but I'm reasonably sure that Canada isn't located in Europe.

If the question is whether Canada is a better place for blacks than the US, then I would be willing to bet that it probably is. Canada doesn't excel at everything, but that's one area in which it fares pretty well.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 6:34 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Well, everything is relative. Grass is always greener, I'm a victim, and all that.

I recently had an interesting conversation with a man who, for all appearances, seems pretty well-off. Life seems good, has two lovely homes, new cars, lovely wife, lovely kids all grown up, well educated, doing well... But he went into a rant about how "poor" he is because the "rich" are sucking us all dry. I asked to him qualify that he really felt he was "poor". "yes, definitely, compared to those who have millions" he said.

I can't help but think that we are much to gullible to what we see on TV and read in the papers. Doesn't matter how good we have it, we're all victims, aren't we? At least we seem to find some comfort in that.

It's not the media's fault. Nobody is interested in hearing how good we have it. We're only interested in how bad everything is.

In the last UK elections, up until a couple of months before polling day, on a daily basis, Mr. Miliband publicised speeches illustrating the pathetic condition of the UK economy. OK, fine, election year, yada yada.. but his big mistake was that following virtually every such speech on BBC news, it was inevitably followed by endless positive news about the UK economy.

What we perceive nowadays is rarely how it actually is, especially if your only source is the media, who naturally, only gives you want you want to hear. Look at your actual condition once in a while, and then take an in-depth look at how it is in the rest of the world. You might be surprised how good you have it.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 6:49 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

You are neither black nor a resident of the United States, yet you adore speaking about the experience of blacks in America. Instead of opining about something about which you know little, perhaps you might want to ask them about how and why they feel as they do.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 8:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Racism is an issue in Canada as well, just swept under the rug and not as in your face as in the US, but it exists. Natives, Blacks, Muslims, East Indian's and Chinese have been the target over the years with most still experiencing it today of varying degrees depending where in the country you are.

The suffocating experience of being black in Canada | Toronto Star

In BC used to have race based covenants to keep certain races from owning property.

B.C. property titles bear reminders of a time when race-based covenants kept neighbourhoods white | National Post

This guy may find Canada isn't the land of harmony and people getting along, it's just done more discretely here when compared to the US.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 9:21 am
Banned

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
You are neither black nor a resident of the United States, yet you adore speaking about the experience of blacks in America. Instead of opining about something about which you know little, perhaps you might want to ask them about how and why they feel as they do.
That may be true, however, despite the US being perceived as the most racially unequal nation the the western world, statistically, the US is amongst the most racially equal, and African Americans certainly enjoy more opportunity than African Europeans.

As a person of colour in Europe, your chances of ever excelling at anything are pretty limited. The evidence provided by others to dispute this actually served to illustrate my point. I have to wonder if anyone ever looked at the "proof" they were posting.

Anyway, I wish you good luck with your Canadian asylum. Please post the details of how you did it here. There is no shortage of African Europeans who would jump at the chance.

Oh, and by the way, just for grins, I looked up "prominent" and "successful" African Americans, and the list is so long, that it's divided into many different wikis and articles. I can't even begin to sort it all to post it here.

Last edited by amideislas; Nov 14th 2015 at 9:31 am.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 9:48 am
Bloody Yank

That may be true, however, despite the US being perceived as the most racially unequal nation the the western world, statistically, the US is amongst the most racially equal, and African Americans certainly enjoy more opportunity than African Europeans.
I think that we got that around the 700th time that you said it.

You want to lecture others about an experience about which you know nothing, while having no interest in understanding why those who have some experience with the situation feel as they do. Your position is patronizing and not particularly helpful to anyone, nor does it have any relevance in a US vs. Canada comparison. The thread wasn't about Europe.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 9:54 am
Banned

You want to lecture others about an experience about which you know nothing, while having no interest in understanding why those who have some experience with the situation feel as they do. Your position is patronizing and not particularly helpful to anyone, nor does it have any relevance in a US vs. Canada comparison. The thread wasn't about Europe.

Moral of the story is, "be careful what you wish for". Grass may look greener, but same shit (or even more of it), different country. Both Canada and Europe are considered to be "fairer". But the reality on the ground can be very, very different. Especially regarding people of colour.

Last edited by amideislas; Nov 14th 2015 at 10:00 am.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 10:20 am
Bloody Yank

Moral of the story is, "be careful what you wish for". Grass may look greener, but same shit (or even more of it), different country. Both Canada and Europe are considered to be "fairer". But the reality on the ground can be very, very different. Especially regarding people of colour.
Right, you've said that a gazillion times. You can stop now.

Unfortunately, you are so narcissistic that you have zero interest in understanding why the subjects of your lecture feel as they do. You would prefer to hear yourself talk than listen to what they may have to say.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I took six months off.
Nothing seems to have changed...
Old Nov 14th 2015, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

+1
Old Nov 14th 2015, 11:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I took six months off.
Nothing seems to have changed...
Yep

Usual Suspects
Old Nov 14th 2015, 5:08 pm
Banned

Well that's how it usually goes. I'll offer a point of view, perhaps contrary to what some people want to believe, and so naturally somebody always comes along and rubbishes it. But that's OK, people are entitled to their opinions.

In this case, somebody took the time to offer evidence "proving" it all rubbish, but it turns out that "evidence" only further supported my view, and so I pointed that out.

So somebody else said "you didn't read those links did you?". Well, apparently, I was the only one who did, so I posted the content of those links which, low and behold, only further illustrated my point.

I'd have been happy to leave it at that, but I suppose that was slightly embarrassing, so, I reckon the next logical step is to start down the path of character attacks.

In the end, the final word is always "you don't know anything about what you're talking about". And that settles it.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well that's how it usually goes. I'll offer a point of view, perhaps contrary to what some people want to believe, and so naturally somebody always comes along and rubbishes it. But that's OK, people are entitled to their opinions.

In this case, somebody took the time to offer evidence "proving" it all rubbish, but it turns out that "evidence" only further supported my view, and so I pointed that out.

So somebody else said "you didn't read those links did you?". Well, apparently, I was the only one who did, so I posted the content of those links which, low and behold, only further illustrated my point.

I'd have been happy to leave it at that, but I suppose that was slightly embarrassing, so, I reckon the next logical step is to start down the path of character attacks.

In the end, the final word is always "you don't know anything about what you're talking about". And that settles it.
That's it pretty much.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 3:56 am
Bloody Yank

I don't hear any minorities in the US claiming that we should aspire to European-style racism, so the "be careful what you wish for" rhetoric is nonsense. It's a classic straw man argument, as you are debating against a point that your opponents never made.

Once again: If you're genuinely interested in the issue of racism, then stop talking and start listening to those who experience it. But you obviously don't really care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.