Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

It's so dangerous to be a black American, I've sought asylum in Canada Kyle Lydell Ca

It's so dangerous to be a black American, I've sought asylum in Canada Kyle Lydell Ca

Old Nov 11th 2015, 5:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It's so dangerous to be a black American, I've sought asylum in Canada Kyle Lydell Ca

I thought this may be of interest to those contemplating a move to the US:

The United States has always been a terrible country to live in. I have no intention of going back

Black people or people of African descent living in the United States should consider seeking asylum in other countries. That’s what I did. On 24 September, I applied for asylum in Canada. We were brought to America as slaves, and the country hasn’t changed its ways at all since then.

http://www.theguardi...omment-63165370

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 11th 2015 at 7:33 am. Reason: Copyright infringement. PS the link doesn't work!
Old Nov 11th 2015, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's so dangerous to be a black American, I've sought asylum in Canada Kyle Lydel

Originally Posted by Boiler
I thought this may be of interest to those contemplating a move to the US:

The United States has always been a terrible country to live in. I have no intention of going back

Black people or people of African descent living in the United States should consider seeking asylum in other countries. That’s what I did. On 24 September, I applied for asylum in Canada. We were brought to America as slaves, and the country hasn’t changed its ways at all since then.

http://www.theguardi...omment-63165370
No "we" weren't! Your ancestors may have been, but I doubt there is ANYONE alive today who could use the word "we"!

Anyway, not getting into a big political or potentially bigoted conversation. I couldn't without knowing the reference material and as you said, the link doesn't work.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

Default Re: It's so dangerous to be a black American, I've sought asylum in Canada Kyle Lydel

It's so dangerous to be a black American, I've sought asylum in Canada | Kyle Lydell Canty | Comment is free | The Guardian
Old Nov 12th 2015, 12:33 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting piece. I do agree with his concluding paragraph;

"America is not the best country in the world – nor was it ever in the past. The only people who can claim it is are individuals who don’t understand the true meaning of life, love and happiness."

For me, the drawbacks with America include the crappy weather, lack of a network of public rights of way, no Tudor or Jacobean stately homes to visit, and sparse public transport. I can see that there are additional concerns for African Americans.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 1:24 am
Account Closed

No Greene King IPA?
Old Nov 12th 2015, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

We were brought to America as slaves, and the country hasn’t changed its ways at all since then.
Except for maybe the outlawing of slavery? Nope, not changed at all.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 4:01 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Spain, we don't have "racism".

And the cops don't shoot blacks, but the chances of a black getting any job paying anything more than a basic wage is pretty limited, regardless of your education and skill set. And you'll never be placed in any position of authority. I am not aware of any black business or political leader of any kind in this country. Not even a middle manager. Not even a tobacco shop manager. In fact, I don't know of, nor have ever met a black person in this country who holds more than a rubbish collector or cash register jockey position.

Funny, I don't know of any prominent blacks in Germany either.

I'm sure there must be somebody, but I've actually done some searching on this topic, and it's pretty damned difficult to find a black person holding any position of prominence in Europe, in either government or business sectors.

But it's not "racism", it's "just the way it is". It's Europe. We don't have racism here. That's another one of those "only in America" things. We like blacks, really. We just won't give them jobs.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Here in Spain, we don't have "racism".

And the cops don't shoot blacks, but the chances of a black getting any job paying anything more than a basic wage is pretty limited, regardless of your education and skill set. And you'll never be placed in any position of authority. I am not aware of any black business or political leader of any kind in this country. Not even a middle manager. Not even a tobacco shop manager. In fact, I don't know of, nor have ever met a black person in this country who holds more than a rubbish collector or cash register jockey position.

Funny, I don't know of any prominent blacks in Germany either.

I'm sure there must be somebody, but I've actually done some searching on this topic, and it's pretty damned difficult to find a black person holding any position of prominence in Europe, in either government or business sectors.

But it's not "racism", it's "just the way it is". It's Europe. We don't have racism here. That's another one of those "only in America" things. We like blacks, really. We just won't give them jobs.
How many strawmen were you trying to stuff into one post?
Old Nov 12th 2015, 4:38 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm? Strawman? How do you conclude that?

Just for grins, please find blacks in Europe holding any position of prominence. Black business execs, politicians, whatever. It's not easy, but you may find one or two. And I can assure you, it's not because we have no black population. It's because we have no NAACP, no equal rights movement, no sensitivity to the issue of "racism". We don't have "that problem" here. Or so we like to believe. Yet, the vast majority of blacks are generally relegated to the lower parts of the economic ladder. Jesse Jackson would be having kittens. The NAACP would be filing lawsuits.

And that's rather relevant. Don't you think?
Old Nov 12th 2015, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm? Strawman? How do you conclude that?

Just for grins, please find blacks in Europe holding any position of prominence. Black business execs, politicians, whatever. It's not easy, but you may find one or two. And I can assure you, it's not because we have no black population. It's because we have no NAACP, no equal rights movement, no sensitivity to the issue of "racism". We don't have "that problem" here. Or so we like to believe. Yet, the vast majority of blacks are generally relegated to the lower parts of the economic ladder. Jesse Jackson would be having kittens. The NAACP would be filing lawsuits.

And that's rather relevant. Don't you think?
Relevant to a black American applying for asylum in Canada? No.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 4:44 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Relevant to a black American applying for asylum in Canada? No.
Well, at least in America, a black can get an education, land a good job, and make a decent living. Even lead a team of professionals in some respectable field. Even become the president.

Asylum? There are plenty of blacks over here who'd love to sign up. Have any details? I'll start a website.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, at least in America, a black can get an education, land a good job, and make a decent living. Even lead a team of professionals in some respectable field. Even become the president.

Asylum? There are plenty of blacks over here who'd love to sign up. Have any details? I'll start a website.
Start a website then.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 4:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
How many strawmen were you trying to stuff into one post?
None?
Old Nov 12th 2015, 5:05 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

One difference is that in the U.S., the great majority of African Americans have ancestry in the U.S. going back many generations... presumably back before 1807, since I believe that's when the British suppressed the Atlantic slave trade.

By contrast, in Europe the great majority of black people have ancestors in Europe no earlier than the 50s or 60s. The black population of most European countries was pretty small before that, I think. So a lot of black people in Europe are just first or second generation, so not yet ascended into the middle class etc.

There are black legislators, professionals, managers in UK, France, Netherlands, though, aren't there?
Old Nov 12th 2015, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
None?
If she was trying for "none", she failed miserably.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.