ipods?

Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default ipods?

I've not gotten an ipod because frankly I don't know where I'd use it. I can't crank up the music too loud in my condo (neighbors all around), so I tend to just listen to music in the room I'm going to be in for a while, like I'll put on an album while I work in the kitchen for 1/2 hour....then I'll listen to music on my PC while I'm in the computer room doing stuff on the computer. If I'm in the bedroom I'm usually watching TV in there rather than listening to music.

I don't go to the gym or go out walking or running, so no need for music in those scenarios. The only place would be the car, I guess, where I'd enjoy the variety.

Also....I like a lot of Persian and Turkish music, and was curious to see what itunes had available for that...hoping to find something new for my collection instead of purchasing CD's that I don't end up liking. But a search on itunes didn't really turn up anything. When I asked other people here at work how they searched itunes for certain music, they all said they never use itunes, they simply have put their existing entire CD collection on the ipod. Hmmmm....ok....I guess I don't really "get it". Why do that, if you already have the CD's at home?

How do you guys all use your ipods, if you have one?

Rene
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:05 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ipods?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I've not gotten an ipod because frankly I don't know where I'd use it. I can't crank up the music too loud in my condo (neighbors all around), so I tend to just listen to music in the room I'm going to be in for a while, like I'll put on an album while I work in the kitchen for 1/2 hour....then I'll listen to music on my PC while I'm in the computer room doing stuff on the computer. If I'm in the bedroom I'm usually watching TV in there rather than listening to music.

I don't go to the gym or go out walking or running, so no need for music in those scenarios. The only place would be the car, I guess, where I'd enjoy the variety.

Also....I like a lot of Persian and Turkish music, and was curious to see what itunes had available for that...hoping to find something new for my collection instead of purchasing CD's that I don't end up liking. But a search on itunes didn't really turn up anything. When I asked other people here at work how they searched itunes for certain music, they all said they never use itunes, they simply have put their existing entire CD collection on the ipod. Hmmmm....ok....I guess I don't really "get it". Why do that, if you already have the CD's at home?

Rene
I use mine in the car sometimes and also on flights. At home it's always plugged into a Bose Sound Dock in the lounge so that I have all of my music collection on tap and to keep it charged.

While I have a boatload of CDs (5000+) I also have a lot of music I have acquired by other means so that it's more than just a simple CD-replacement for me.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Rene
While it's a bit tedious to 'load' your CDs into the iPod, it is rather amazing once you figure out that you can put an entire lifetime collection onto one teeny weeny device. I think once you've done it you'll be glad you did. The car interface is the challenge, though. Sell me your honda accord; buy a newer car with an iPod interface - problem solved!

Tip - BACK UP your PC if you do this as you will be pissed if it ever gets lost/broken/stolen/etc. It's not something you want to do twice!
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

As above you have your entire CD collection at your finger tips without having to load discs, find the one you want etc.
Also means you can stack the discs away if you need the shelf space.
Mine has been a godsend in the truck while working as I've never found a bay area radio station to my liking. Instead I have my 10k+ tunes on shuffle.
iTunes is not your only route to music on the web either. There are sites, emusic.com is one that you can down load from. The iTunes client on your PC/laptop provides the link to get all the content from your PC to your iPod.

I wouldn't be without mine.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Tip - BACK UP your PC if you do this as you will be pissed if it ever gets lost/broken/stolen/etc. It's not something you want to do twice!
Stand to be corrected but the backup facility on itunes itself can use DVDs so you can end up with a mere 7 or so discs instread of 1000CDs.
Though clearly if you backup the whole PC to an external drive you have same protection.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a more obscure music taste, check out spotify/last.fm/pandora....and if you've got a iphone or other smart phone, just get the app for it and stream the music, but only if you've a decent data plan.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If you have a more obscure music taste, check out spotify/last.fm/pandora....and if you've got a iphone or other smart phone, just get the app for it and stream the music, but only if you've a decent data plan.
That's a great idea -I do that with my itouch attached to the network at home - no need for any 3G usage..

I listen to my music in the car - love the usb cable there but have used all sorts of interfaces in the car over the years, including, years ago, a cassette tape that allowed an ipod to be played through a car stereo

I also listen on a docking station with speakers in the kitchen - not a fancy bose jobby but works nicely.

Like you, Rene, I also listen to music a lot on my pc. Occasionally, if I am playing a game on my pc, the music interferes with the game, so then I switch to listening directly to my itouch. Usually on headphones as I can't crank up the music too loud in the evenings as my son is in bed.

Like others have said, I have a mixture of music from CDs and other sources...
Old Jun 8th 2010, 1:21 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

I have an iPod Touch and mostly use it for apps; the music is almost an afterthought. Not so good for playing music in the car though, as you have to look at the screen to change tracks. I tend to use my old Sansa MP3 player for that.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 3:15 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I don't really "get it". Why do that, if you already have the CD's at home?
Audio CDs were first released in 1980.

Here's a Chevy released in the same year:

Nuff said!

The ipod is old hat, too, so it's not like you'd be avant garde. Streaming will put you out front.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 3:28 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fatbrit

The ipod is old hat, too, so it's not like you'd be avant garde. Streaming will put you out front.
Depends on the pod really...

I have an iPod touch and find using it in the car easy, I don't try and fiddle with it at 70MPH, only when stopped at lights or going slowwwwwwww...

If I really need to turn it off I hit the off button on the Radio.

I use it via an FM thingymadooo
Old Jun 8th 2010, 11:06 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Most people these days listen to music on their phone, I think. I'm a believer in dedicated media players, they work better for me. I'm also one of the seven people who actually bought a Zune HD and actually pays for a ZunePass. The ZunePass is the main reason to get a Zune: millions of albums available on an all-you-can-eat basis legally for $15/month. Subscription-based services are the way to go for me, the auto playlisting options and curated collections are a great way to get and listen to music you haven't heard and will probably like. The Zune also has great client software and (inarguably, IMO) the best interface on any media player. I bought a dock to plug it into my TV/stereo as well. It can output true HD, has a nice onscreen interface and has native .avi support.

Of course no one else bought a Zune HD, so you don't get the app support you get with an iPod touch. However, if all you want is to listen to lots of new music and watch videos without breaking any laws, Zune is a strong competitor. With the impending launch of Windows Phone 7, it will probably continue to get better.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 1:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, you guys are all way ahead of me. I own nothing that starts with an i. No ipod, no iphone, no itouch, no ipad. LOL

I'm sorry I started this thread now...I feel O-L-D.

Thanks for all the info...maybe one day I'll step out of the dark ages and buy something that starts with i.

Rene
Old Jun 8th 2010, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
... Not so good for playing music in the car though, as you have to look at the screen to change tracks. ...
With the adapter I bought from Crutchfield, I was able to adapt my ancient 1993 Acura CD changer into an iPod playing device, and could change tracks from the steering-wheel mounted buttons.

I just picked up a rental car yesterday - some generic Ford Fusion - and it comes with full bluetooth integration, etc. I was able to hook up my iPhone for bluetooth voice calls right away, and by the end of the day had the iPhone streaming music through the car system in perfect quality. My 2008 Acura, annoyingly, does not have a fancy iPod interface. I can apparently buy an interface that will 'repurpose' the XM radio interface and convert to iPhone, allowing me to change tracks, view track info, etc from the car controls, but I don't want to give up the XM radio so I'm passing up on that.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wow, you guys are all way ahead of me. I own nothing that starts with an i. No ipod, no iphone, no itouch, no ipad. LOL

I'm sorry I started this thread now...I feel O-L-D.

Thanks for all the info...maybe one day I'll step out of the dark ages and buy something that starts with i.

Rene
Don't buy anything ... I asked my buddy if she was using the iPod I gave her and she isn't; supposedly she's going to return it to me tonight when we have dinner. I'm in CA this week but flying back to AZ Sunday. I'm LONG overdue for a dinner at PARS so maybe we should meet there one night next week? You could loan me those movies at the same time . Let me know by PM ...
Old Jun 8th 2010, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
With the adapter I bought from Crutchfield, I was able to adapt my ancient 1993 Acura CD changer into an iPod playing device, and could change tracks from the steering-wheel mounted buttons.

I just picked up a rental car yesterday - some generic Ford Fusion - and it comes with full bluetooth integration, etc. I was able to hook up my iPhone for bluetooth voice calls right away, and by the end of the day had the iPhone streaming music through the car system in perfect quality. My 2008 Acura, annoyingly, does not have a fancy iPod interface. I can apparently buy an interface that will 'repurpose' the XM radio interface and convert to iPhone, allowing me to change tracks, view track info, etc from the car controls, but I don't want to give up the XM radio so I'm passing up on that.
Yeah, my crappy Ford has Microsoft Sync software using a USB cable (so charging the ipod along the way) and allows voice control - so I can say play playlist x, track x etc etc... it really is very nifty....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.