iPhone

Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:44 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: iPhone

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I assume you had to "jailbreak" the iPhone to allow it to run non-Apple code to do the whole VNC thing? I'd be tempted to switch from my (admittedly very good) corporate HTC TyTN if I could run VNC on an iPhone, but I'm not keen on buying a personal phone and then immediately voiding the Apple warranty! )
I have a TYTN II

Its excellent, but may be a pointless upgrade for you

can you mail me the link to vnc you use? i've been hunting for this for a while

The iphone 3g (or lack of it) although an old complaint is completely valid. aside from just using the internet on the phone, using my Kaiser as a broadband modem connected to my laptop is an incredibly useful feature, especially since its only $20 a month unlimited data

i only really spend my time in nashville and knoxville which both have good 3g/hspda coverage

downstream in knoxville is about 1.3 mbits per second and just under 1 mbit per second in nashville
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:40 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Had my iPhone for about 6 months - no problems other than checking the web for no real reason other than I can.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:03 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
A friend of mine has an iphone, and yes, I have to admit its very cool. Lack of 3g is a big downer, however, I'm sure it will appear in later incarnations.

But, I'd never get one myself - I hate Apple's marketing, I hate their locking down of everything, I hate their limiting of third party development, I hate they force you onto a particular carrier and contract. I actually hope that all of their bullshit causes their downfall, to be honest. Every time I see one of those idiots in a black shirt being all smarmy, I want to punch them! :curse:
Wow! I'm always surprised at how angry some people get about Apple.

After all, there are so many companies out there that treat consumers far worse (Microsoft), use more proprietary technologies (Sony) etc., etc.

Having said that, a recent survey did prove once and for all that Apple Users feel Superior...

...so mostly I just feel sorry for you, and a little distainful.

Old Jan 29th 2008, 5:18 am
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

I've been a Mac user since 1994. I don't have an iPhone but hubby has an iTouch which is the same thing but without the phone. He managed to "jail break" it so can use any software on it now. He absolutely loves it, especially the fact that it has wifi.

I will never ever ever EVER buy a PC again!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:22 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

LOL - I'm joining the feel sorry for ya crowd.

After all, there are so many companies out there that treat consumers far worse (Microsoft), use more proprietary technologies (Sony) etc., etc.

Having said that, a recent survey did prove once and for all that Apple Users feel Superior...

Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, I feel the same about Sony too - they're on my black list right next to Apple.

Marketing just doesn't work on me - I buy things on how they perform, and really there's nothing a Mac can do that a PC can't - its completely the other way round. As and when Windows dominance fades, I might consider something else - but it won't be a turd in a black shirt who convinces me to change
Old Jan 30th 2008, 5:36 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Ah yes, I feel the same about Sony too - they're on my black list right next to Apple.

Marketing just doesn't work on me - I buy things on how they perform, and really there's nothing a Mac can do that a PC can't - its completely the other way round. As and when Windows dominance fades, I might consider something else - but it won't be a turd in a black shirt who convinces me to change
Total agreement. Macs are terrific unless you want to do something slightly out-of-the-ordinary, play games, pirate DVDs/music ( ), upgrade your machine or do anything Apple doesn't want you to do.

Also, the new Zune 8/80s are better than the iPod Classic or Nano, IMO. The iPod Touch is damned cool, but for that price, I'd just spring for an iPhone.

The iPhone is a slightly different story. It's still closed architecture, but I love it. Everything about it seems well designed and the web browsing experience is by far the best of any phone I've used. Other phone manufacturers should study it closely.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Total agreement. Macs are terrific unless you want to do something slightly out-of-the-ordinary, play games, pirate DVDs/music ( ), upgrade your machine or do anything Apple doesn't want you to do.

Also, the new Zune 8/80s are better than the iPod Classic or Nano, IMO. The iPod Touch is damned cool, but for that price, I'd just spring for an iPhone.

The iPhone is a slightly different story. It's still closed architecture, but I love it. Everything about it seems well designed and the web browsing experience is by far the best of any phone I've used. Other phone manufacturers should study it closely.
O2 in the uk have just slashed plan rates to get more peopple to buy the unit and use it on their network... Fingers crossed AT&T will do the same here seeing as 25% of iPhones are unlocked and used on other networks!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Absolutely - the browser is fantastic and I have to say the iPhone is very good. I don't doubt the other manufacturers are studying it very closely indeed!

Of interest for Windows Mobile users, this browser seems to hold some promise:

http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a...t=news&id=5016

Will be interesting to see if it works in practice.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:58 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by basementwaj
O2 in the uk have just slashed plan rates to get more peopple to buy the unit and use it on their network... Fingers crossed AT&T will do the same here seeing as 25% of iPhones are unlocked and used on other networks!
the reason O2 did this is because its doing crap in the UK due to a more technically astute customer base who are not wooed by advertising

the inquirer/register have some amusing commentary on this

still doing well in the USA so unlikely any changes by att