Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Interview Made Front Page News

Interview Made Front Page News

Old Nov 5th 2013, 6:47 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interview Made Front Page News

Hi Recently did an interview with The Times WV, Newspaper on the need for Medical Marijuana - must have been a slow news day because it was took up most of the Sunday front page lol It has had a really positive response, hopefully we can help the push in this State to make it legal It omitted the comments I made about the pharma companies, and how they MUCH prefer people being reliant upon their high dollar meds, but overall it's a fairly decent piece, which puts 'human' face to the issue.

Here's the on-line edition, just sharing

http://timeswv.com/local/x2112912985...dical-decision

Last edited by Songbird; Nov 5th 2013 at 6:56 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 7:07 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview Made Front Page News

Good article, Songbird. I wish you the best in your quest for legalization -- surely it is something for which the time has got to come sooner rather than later, in every state.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 7:11 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Good article, Songbird. I wish you the best in your quest for legalization -- surely it is something for which the time has got to come sooner rather than later, in every state.
Thanks! and yes you're right this has to happen - it's totally nuts that they will happily prescribe him morphine and all the rest of it (read $$$$$'s) but a herb is a no-no.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, great article Colette! I have never understood the reasoning behind banning it for medical use. Let's hope a change in the law will come soon
Old Nov 5th 2013, 7:24 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Thanks Sally! we about fell over when we saw it dominating the whole of the front page (lol) but happy at the same time that it got the coverage Next step is the TV stations who have indicated they want to pick it up (damn I got to lose like 40 lbs at least! ) and getting down to Charleston (we been asked to go and lobby people) to help keep up the momentum (we shall have to see about that - Ken's not too good at all at the moment) So
Old Nov 5th 2013, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Songbird
Thanks Sally! we about fell over when we saw it dominating the whole of the front page (lol) but happy at the same time that it got the coverage Next step is the TV stations who have indicated they want to pick it up (damn I got to lose like 40 lbs at least! ) and getting down to Charleston (we been asked to go and lobby people) to help keep up the momentum (we shall have to see about that - Ken's not too good at all at the moment) So
I'm sure you'll do a fantastic job. Sorry to hear Ken's not so good at the moment though.

There was an interesting item on our news a while back about marijuana in Israel. They seem to have a very sophisticated programme for growing and supplying various types for medical use.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 7:43 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
There was an interesting item on our news a while back about marijuana in Israel. They seem to have a very sophisticated programme for growing and supplying various types for medical use.
Really? I would be interested to read that Sally! Mike Manypenny (our state delegate and a really great guy who we are liaising with ) is looking for any and all strings he can add to his bow to try and get this through. I will do some research on that

The tide is definitely changing here in WV see this article, they went the whole nine yards and more with the call for FULL legalization! lol

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — The Silver-Haired Legislature, a group of over-60 pseudo-legislators, approved position papers on Friday that support relaxing marijuana laws while also tightening laws related to methamphetamine.After a three-day session in Charleston in legislative chambers at the state Capitol, the group proposed legalizing, regulating and taxing marijuana.

They also proposed requiring a prescription to purchase cold medications that contain pseudoephedrine, a key ingredient in manufacturing methamphetamine. ”I was pleased with what we did,” said Silver-Haired House of Delegates Speaker George Moore of South Charleston, who has been a member for three years. “We cannot write laws or pass legislation. But we can write position papers. This time, most politicians were interested in our activities. I am tickled to death about it.”

The West Virginia Bureau of Senior Services helps coordinate the election of Silver-Haired legislators, who must be 60 or older.

Old Nov 5th 2013, 7:54 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Recently did an interview with The Times WV, Newspaper on the need for Medical Marijuana - must have been a slow news day because it was took up most of the Sunday front page lol It has had a really positive response, hopefully we can help the push in this State to make it legal It omitted the comments I made about the pharma companies, and how they MUCH prefer people being reliant upon their high dollar meds, but overall it's a fairly decent piece, which puts 'human' face to the issue.

Here's the on-line edition, just sharing

http://timeswv.com/local/x2112912985...dical-decision
Great article!
This really hits home for me. My brother-in-law is in a very similar situation to Ken (quadriplegic due to car crash) and the spasms are terrible.

I wish you all the best in your quest for legalization.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! and yes you're right this has to happen - it's totally nuts that they will happily prescribe him morphine and all the rest of it (read $$$$$'s) but a herb is a no-no.
You are right. Marijuana is far less harmful than alcohol but is illegal in many states. In California, anyone over 21 can get a medical marijuana card by just showing up at one of the many places that evaluate patients with a 2 minute interview and no medical records are required.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that is a fantastic article! Congratulations on getting the story picked up, and here's hoping the issue continues to stay in the forefront of people's minds. It seems like there is plenty of support for it, so it's just a matter of time ... but of course waiting is not something that you have the luxury of doing.

Practically speaking, do you think you'd really get in trouble for possessing and using it under the circumstances? If there is plenty of local support, then I would think the local cops would turn a blind eye. But I can imagine the anxiety that it could cause, never knowing if you will be arrested. Then again, I smoked pot from the age of about 16 to 21 almost daily when in UK, and it was never a problem ... . I could imagine a massive outcry of support if you WERE to be arrested under the circumstances ...

I wish you the very best of luck and hope you will keep us updated as the situation develops.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Really? I would be interested to read that Sally! Mike Manypenny (our state delegate and a really great guy who we are liaising with ) is looking for any and all strings he can add to his bow to try and get this through. I will do some research on that

The tide is definitely changing here in WV see this article, they went the whole nine yards and more with the call for FULL legalization! lol

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — The Silver-Haired Legislature, a group of over-60 pseudo-legislators, approved position papers on Friday that support relaxing marijuana laws while also tightening laws related to methamphetamine.After a three-day session in Charleston in legislative chambers at the state Capitol, the group proposed legalizing, regulating and taxing marijuana.

They also proposed requiring a prescription to purchase cold medications that contain pseudoephedrine, a key ingredient in manufacturing methamphetamine. ”I was pleased with what we did,” said Silver-Haired House of Delegates Speaker George Moore of South Charleston, who has been a member for three years. “We cannot write laws or pass legislation. But we can write position papers. This time, most politicians were interested in our activities. I am tickled to death about it.”

The West Virginia Bureau of Senior Services helps coordinate the election of Silver-Haired legislators, who must be 60 or older.

It was on a local TV channel and I can't locate the item, but this might be useful:

http://www.jewishjournal.com/cover_s...uana_reasearch
Old Nov 5th 2013, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

quite a few youtube links found on the Israel situation ...
https://www.google.com/search?q=medi...-US%3Aofficial

Examples ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBl7hVyClD0

presentation (powerpoints, discussions, etc):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2eFElCVsuQ

and several more.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 8:52 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Originally Posted by Bink
This really hits home for me. My brother-in-law is in a very similar situation to Ken (quadriplegic due to car crash) and the spasms are terrible. I wish you all the best in your quest for legalization.
Sorry to read about your brother-in-law Ken used to tell me about how the spasms were the hardest part, I used to think he was exaggerating. After all how painful could spasms be? Boy was I so wrong! They are one of, if not they worst aspects of his condition! I have seen him cry because they are so unrelenting. Then of course there is the whole BP problem that accompanies them ; 280 over 180 is dangerously close to stroke out time if it is not brought under control. Hence the emergency 'biter' meds he has to take that buy him 15mins at a time until we can locate the cause for the attack or if not it's 911 time It is distressing to watch someone you love deal with that on a daily basis and also scary! Hopefully we can get this passed in EVERY State then people like Ken and your brother in law can find some relief.

Originally Posted by Michael
You are right. Marijuana is far less harmful than alcohol but is illegal in many states. In California, anyone over 21 can get a medical marijuana card by just showing up at one of the many places that evaluate patients with a 2 minute interview and no medical records are required.
Totally Michael! How many people die from alcohol related illness? How many lives are destroyed, families and loved ones through alcoholism? How many fatalities caused through drink driving? Yet it's legal in every state, OTOH a herb that can relieve the the suffering of so many people with a myriad of chronic medical conditions is not even available via prescription in over half the States here. Trust me if the pharma companies could figure out a way to synthesize all the compounds it would be on the shelves tomorrow - but they can't hence they can't make their $$$$$'s - so people have to go on suffering and taking their toxic crap Let me tell you something about this Fentanyl patch Ken has to use - it's so potent I have to wear gloves to stick it on his body just in case there is leakage. It's been said to be 100 times more potent than morphine (with all the addiction problems and the developed tolerance.) So he has that, plus Percocet, plus Dilaudid, plus Diazepam, PLUS a wireless controlled hockey puck sized thing implanted in his body - with a tube that stretches halfway up and inside his spinal column. All of that, all of the problems associated with those meds when all he really needs is a toke every two or three hours! It is sickening!

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Wow, that is a fantastic article! Congratulations on getting the story picked up, and here's hoping the issue continues to stay in the forefront of people's minds. It seems like there is plenty of support for it, so it's just a matter of time ... but of course waiting is not something that you have the luxury of doing.

Practically speaking, do you think you'd really get in trouble for possessing and using it under the circumstances? If there is plenty of local support, then I would think the local cops would turn a blind eye. But I can imagine the anxiety that it could cause, never knowing if you will be arrested. Then again, I smoked pot from the age of about 16 to 21 almost daily when in UK, and it was never a problem ... . I could imagine a massive outcry of support if you WERE to be arrested under the circumstances ...

I wish you the very best of luck and hope you will keep us updated as the situation develops.
LOL you are so right about the anxiety I had when we decided to do this! It was one of the things that we discussed with the State delegate and the journalist. But as you so rightly said, we concluded WTH! I mean really, are they going to come and arrest him / us ? After all it was something he tried not something he does now because of the legal implications Was funny when the photographer turned up though though - I think she was expecting to take a picture of Ken chugging on a bong! We had to explain .. errr nope, he doesn't use MJ anymore - it was just something he 'tried' - no MJ here!
Old Nov 5th 2013, 8:56 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It was on a local TV channel and I can't locate the item, but this might be useful:

http://www.jewishjournal.com/cover_s...uana_reasearch
Originally Posted by Steerpike
quite a few youtube links found on the Israel situation ...
https://www.google.com/search?q=medi...-US%3Aofficial

Examples ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBl7hVyClD0

presentation (powerpoints, discussions, etc):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2eFElCVsuQ

and several more.

THANK YOU! I am going to read up / look into all of that! I really appreciate the links - saves me hunting them down - you are both 's
Old Nov 5th 2013, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Trust me if the pharma companies could figure out a way to synthesize all the compounds it would be on the shelves tomorrow - but they can't hence they can't make their $$$$$'s - so people have to go on suffering and taking their toxic crap
Yeah that aspect is maddening - interesting that they cut it from your interview.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.