Internet Censorship

Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:18 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Internet Censorship

Very sad:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...7-2862,00.html

I believe Obama supports Net Neutrality.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 1:04 am
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet Censorship

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Very sad:

Scary stuff!

So when the powers that be don't want you to know something, and have the power to make that thing illegal so you can't see it under that policy - **** that!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 1:51 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Very sad:

For those of us who are not techies, please explain, Net Neutrality sounds good, what is wrong with it (Obama does support it, it says so on the website). Why is it sad?
Old Oct 31st 2008, 2:13 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

This isn't a right or left issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality

Why do we have to tinker? Let's just let the Internet be.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 2:34 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I read the Wiki page before I asked the question, but my problem is that the terms are not self-explanatory, and may be misleading (like "Pro-life" and "Pro-choice"). I had an email today from freepress.net to the effect that:

"This Halloween, the powerful lobbyists at the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) are trying to scare Washington with horror stories about "white spaces" -- vacant TV channels that can be used to bring high-speed Internet to rural and low-income Americans across the country.

The NAB’s hired guns have bombarded policy makers with false claims in a desperate, last-ditch attempt to hoard these airwaves and to disrupt a critical FCC vote taking place in just six days."

I presume that freepress.net is in favor of "net neutrality", and that it is a good thing.

I was confused by your opening post as to what it was that was sad, I thought it might be net neutrality!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 2:42 am
Peace onion

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I read the Wiki page before I asked the question, but my problem is that the terms are not self-explanatory, and may be misleading (like "Pro-life" and "Pro-choice"). I had an email today from freepress.net to the effect that:

"This Halloween, the powerful lobbyists at the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) are trying to scare Washington with horror stories about "white spaces" -- vacant TV channels that can be used to bring high-speed Internet to rural and low-income Americans across the country.

The NAB’s hired guns have bombarded policy makers with false claims in a desperate, last-ditch attempt to hoard these airwaves and to disrupt a critical FCC vote taking place in just six days."

I presume that freepress.net is in favor of "net neutrality", and that it is a good thing.

I was confused by your opening post as to what it was that was sad, I thought it might be net neutrality!
The sad part was what was going on in Australia. The net neutrality name is misleading. It means well but will have unintended consequences. I'm against it. Just leave the Internet alone.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 3:21 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Very sad:

But this isn't about net neutrality....it's about a proposed national internet filter. I don't support it BUT it's a totally different concept from net neutrality, which I strongly support. Net neutrality stops corporations from having preferential treatment on the web, whereas a national internet filter allows the government to censor content.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 3:32 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Very sad:

from the article.

The government has declared it will not let internet users opt out of the proposed national internet filter.

The plan was first created as a way to combat child pronography and adult content, but could be extended to include controversial websites on euthanasia or anorexia and the 2008 Olympics medals table.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 4:17 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You get some real morons on the right. I was wondering where the hell our friend got this idea from, and after much Googling I tracked this down:

http://torchlight.blogtownhall.com/2...r_behind.thtml

To save you trying to decipher, the gist of the incredible argument is thus:
Australia is going to have a national internet filter.
The Australian government is liberal.
Obama is a liberal.
Therefore Obama supports a national internet filter for the US.

Seems the moron was listening to Limbagh!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 4:22 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
For those of us who are not techies, please explain, Net Neutrality sounds good, what is wrong with it (Obama does support it, it says so on the website). Why is it sad?
Net neutrality is good. It means corporations can't pay to have preferential treatment on the web.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 4:50 am
Peace onion

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You get some real morons on the right. I was wondering where the hell our friend got this idea from, and after much Googling I tracked this down:

http://torchlight.blogtownhall.com/2...r_behind.thtml

To save you trying to decipher, the gist of the incredible argument is thus:
Australia is going to have a national internet filter.
The Australian government is liberal.
Obama is a liberal.
Therefore Obama supports a national internet filter for the US.

Seems the moron was listening to Limbagh!
Limbaugh? Nope, this moron has been talk radio free since 2004. (Well, if you don't count local talk radio.) Also been Air America free since 2006.

I haven't looked for McCain's stance on Net Neutrality. I don't think he has one.

Yes, I agree that censorship and NN are different issues.
My business is software and my reasons for opposing Net Neutrality are not partisan. Read a few of the arguments opposing NN here, fatbrit.
http://www.handsoff.org

Goodnight.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 4:54 am
Peace onion

Net neutrality is good. It means corporations can't pay to have preferential treatment on the web.
No offense, dude - and no insults either - but I don't think Net Neutrality means what you think it means.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 4:58 am
Peace onion

It's a pragmatic thing and I don't think you understand the subtleties of the arguments.

What you're advocating for is similar to equality of outcome, rather than equality of opportunity.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 5:03 am
Septicity

No offense, dude - and no insults either - but I don't think Net Neutrality means what you think it means.
Well you need to tell me what you think it means. Otherwise there's nowhere to go with this!

I work with the definitions given at Wikipedia but understand that they may be a touch technical for some.

Here's the definition at Conservapedia for the flat-earthers which, surprisingly, is actually very accurate if rather simplistic. (I was there a few minutes ago reading their take on Obama and have only just stopped laughing.)

So basically, the one who's all confused is you.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 5:04 am
Peace onion

Well you need to tell me what you think it means. Otherwise there's nowhere to go with this!

I work with the definitions given at Wikipedia but understand that they may be a touch technical for some.

Here's the definition at Conservapedia for the flat-earthers which, surprisingly, is actually very accurate if rather simplistic. (I was there a few minutes ago reading their take on Obama and have only just stopped laughing.)

So basically, the one who's all confused is you.
Well, what do you expect? I'm a moron.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.