Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Insurance companies releasing coyotes to reduce deer numbers

Insurance companies releasing coyotes to reduce deer numbers

Old Dec 11th 2014, 9:41 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance companies releasing coyotes to reduce deer numbers

In Bambi they used fire to some effect.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Urban myth ? Or I suppose in this case "Rural Myth" ! It sounds like the kind of story invented by some whacko conspiracy theorist.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 5:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
.... It sounds like the kind of story invented by some whacko conspiracy theorist.
I agree. I find it completely implausible. ..... If it were true, where are the coyotes coming from? Are there coyote farms somewhere?
Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
Sorry won't let me edit my last reply even though I tried to do it right away. There's no cursor in the box.

I meant to say I'm thinking of deer pellet-type food baited with the birth control drug.
Given that you have no control over which animal eats the bait, I am fairly sure that spreading food drugged with hormones would be unlawful, and fraught with all sorts of unintended consequences. Mammalian hormones are very similar, so any mammal eating the bait could be affected, but if the bait was designed to deliver enough drug to a deer, what sort of dose would a squirrel or a chipmunk get? .... Possibly a fatal one.

Then there is the matter of run off pollution into streams, rivers, and lakes. Hormone pollution from treated sewage (flushed pills and excreted human birth control hormones) is already a known problem that may be affecting fish, imagine what might happen if you spread thousands of tons of hormone - laced corn across the countryside!
Old Dec 11th 2014, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I agree. I find it completely implausible. ..... If it were true, where are the coyotes coming from? Are there coyote farms somewhere?

Given that you have no control over which animal eats the bait, I am fairly sure that spreading food drugged with hormones would be unlawful, and fraught with all sorts of unintended consequences. Mammalian hormones are very similar, so any mammal eating the bait could be affected, but if the bait was designed to deliver enough drug to a deer, what sort of dose would a squirrel or a chipmunk get? .... Possibly a fatal one.

Then there is the matter of run off pollution into streams, rivers, and lakes. Hormone pollution from treated sewage (flushed pills and excreted human birth control hormones) is already a known problem that may be affecting fish, imagine what might happen if you spread thousands of tons of hormone - laced corn across the countryside!
And even if it did work, then we'd have to provide welfare benefits to all those rural hunters that live off venison for the year.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I think it is hogwash I just checked my food plots and there is heavy grazing on clover and peas with plenty of does and fawns on the cameras.
The heavy acorn and hickory nut crops means there is plenty of food in the woods so unlike last year they do not spend so much time in the open.
Deer numbers killed are down the butcher who processes our deer did over 1600 last year and has only done 600 so far this year.
The whole idea of secret coyote farms and transporting them the Virginia or other states is not credible.
The same story in going around PA and NC.
One story is in 2005 a hunter in NC shot a coyote and it had a tag which was traced to a coyote farm in Kansas.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 5:05 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Beep Beep!
Old Dec 14th 2014, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

MidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond repute

This is the reason...Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD). It has severely reduced the deer population in my area.
Why release coyotes when you can get an associated Pharmo company to supply a few test tubes of virus. :-)
Old Dec 15th 2014, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidwestBob
This is the reason...Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD). It has severely reduced the deer population in my area.
Why release coyotes when you can get an associated Pharmo company to supply a few test tubes of virus. :-)
We have a few cases but I do not see any sign of it decimating the deer population.