British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Impacted Wisdom Tooth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/impacted-wisdom-tooth-681982/)

Michael Aug 21st 2010 4:45 pm

Re: Impacted Wisdom Tooth

I have a nephew who is currently about 40 who has been self employed in the construction industry. When he was 20 he had perfect teeth but his teeth was very brittle and about every year after that he had to have another one pulled because it cracked.

Since the recession started, work has been very slow (about one day a week) so he and his 12 year old son moved in with his parents to make ends meet and he became eligible for medicaid. He then went to a dentist (100% covered by medicaid) and they decided that the best thing to do was to pull all his remaining teeth (they were all in bad sharp with most chipped) and give him a full upper and low dental plate. Now he has the nicest smile since he was 20.

mellybrown Aug 23rd 2010 12:20 pm

I had my 2 bottom wisdom teeth out last month. they were not fully impacted, but one was worse than the other.....before insurance the bill was $1350, that was with the good knock out IV, I didnt want to be awake for any of it!!!!!!

Rete Aug 23rd 2010 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 8790754)
It's just an option for those without good dental insurance.

When my girls were young and even for myself as a young mother, we did not have dental insurance. We used the dental school in our city and our experience was very good. The care was excellent and over seen by a licensed dentist.

Rete Aug 23rd 2010 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer (Post 8791575)
Also remember that the infection he has (if it is on the upper) is only 1 inch from his brain. People don't often think of that when selecting an oral surgeon but there are horror stories.:confused:

That is the reason why most dental surgeons will NOT extract a tooth until you have had a full dose of antibotics under your belt. Removing the tooth might well lead to the spread of the infection.

Falcore Aug 23rd 2010 1:28 pm

Hope he manages to get himself sorted out! Just reading this thread has made me nervous. I'm in for all mine out in 2 weeks! :eek: Thankfully no cost to worry about, that must be such a worry. :fingerscrossed: for your son.

lisa67 Aug 23rd 2010 3:34 pm

We're in a dilema. DS' orthodintist has said that he needs to have all 4 wisdom teeth out before the end of the year. :sneaky:None of them are causing him any pain but on the x rays the 2 bottom ones look like they're heading sideways (the 2 top ones don't look too bad imho)
My son had his tonsills out over the summer and now might have to have this done over Xmas hols.
So....I'm going to make an appointment with our regular dentist for his opinion, but how long do you think his recovery will be if he ends up having all 4 out?:(

cindyabs Aug 23rd 2010 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 8796898)
We're in a dilema. DS' orthodintist has said that he needs to have all 4 wisdom teeth out before the end of the year. :sneaky:None of them are causing him any pain but on the x rays the 2 bottom ones look like they're heading sideways (the 2 top ones don't look too bad imho)
My son had his tonsills out over the summer and now might have to have this done over Xmas hols.
So....I'm going to make an appointment with our regular dentist for his opinion, but how long do you think his recovery will be if he ends up having all 4 out?:(

I had all four of mine out at once. Felt a little cruddy for a couple of days but that was it.

rebs Aug 23rd 2010 4:16 pm

how long do you think his recovery will be if he ends up having all 4 out?:(

Poor lad - he's been through the mill :(

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out way back when I was in my early 20s. I had it done in hospital under a general anesthetic.

Don't know if I was lucky, or they weren't particularly difficult to get out, or just healed well due to being quite young, but I was only out of action for a few days... I had them out on a Wednesday, and was pretty groggy for the next day and a bit battered and bruised, but was back at work the following Monday.

meauxna Aug 23rd 2010 4:44 pm

I had all mine out in my last year of high school and only stayed home the minimum.. 3 days.. but I was OUT and I should have taken a couple of days more. For some reason I thought I *had* to go back to work. (yeah, Nordstom was going to go out of the bra business without me... :rolleyes:)

Englishtart Aug 23rd 2010 5:39 pm

I had all mine out at the same time,about 10 yrs ago by a military dentist:eek:
No issues though and I was fine in a couple of days, hope your Son does ok, I had my tonsils out when I was 21, it was the worst surgery I ever had:frown: And I have had two C Sections:lol:

Our dentist told me the other week, that our 17 yr old needs his wisdom teeth pulled, i'm not convinced he needs it,(only two are even breaking through right now) but I will have a look at the xrays and decide after that:blink:

Bluegrass Lass Aug 23rd 2010 6:16 pm

I had all 4 of mine taken out on my Spring Break one year. The first few days were fairly crappy. Could only gum my some french fries for food. Just make sure you follow the dentists' instruction on preventing dry sockets. I've heard dry sockets can hurt like a b@tch. By the end of Spring Break I was pretty good and was eating normally.

fly_on_the_wall Aug 23rd 2010 6:27 pm

Had all 4 done under local on Monday afternoon, was back to work Wednesday morning, not 100% but I made it through the day. The oral surgeon said it could take up to a year for the holes the jaw bone to fill in. He was right, it took at least that long.

White-ishRose Aug 23rd 2010 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 8789668)
Wisdom teeth removal can range in price from $140 to $400 per tooth. This cost range does not include fees associated with sedation, X-rays, possible oral surgery necessities or the proximity of the wisdom tooth to surrounding teeth and nerves. Extraction costs for impacted wisdom teeth are significantly higher than for erupted wisdom teeth.

http://www.yourdentistryguide.com/wisdom-teeth/

wow! for that sort of money I'd jump on a flight to France - I had a wisdom tooth out about 2 months ago - there is a fantastic stomotologist near where I lived. It took less than 8 minutes from sitting down in the chair to getting up to go to the recovery room. No pain, no swelling, no infection. Back out shopping 30 minutes after I entered the clinic, and it cost €65.

Jerseygirl Aug 23rd 2010 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by White-ishRose (Post 8797443)
wow! for that sort of money I'd jump on a flight to France - I had a wisdom tooth out about 2 months ago - there is a fantastic stomotologist near where I lived. It took less than 8 minutes from sitting down in the chair to getting up to go to the recovery room. No pain, no swelling, no infection. Back out shopping 30 minutes after I entered the clinic, and it cost €65.

I'm guessing yours was a straight extraction. A wisdom tooth that's impacted in the jaw bone is a somewhat different matter.

White-ishRose Aug 23rd 2010 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8797498)
I'm guessing yours was a straight extraction. A wisdom tooth that's impacted in the jaw bone is a somewhat different matter.

yes, thankfully:thumbup: He did offer to do the rest which are just waiting to cause me trouble, but I declined the offer. We agreed to leave them alone until I'm older and braver...:unsure: