Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Impacted Wisdom Tooth

Impacted Wisdom Tooth

Old Aug 20th 2010, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Impacted Wisdom Tooth

My oldest (26) is in terrible pain with an impacted (horizontal) wisdom tooth. He has no insurance, trying to get an average cost. Looks like I'm going to have fun driving him around tomorrow.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 5:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Impacted Wisdom Tooth

Originally Posted by bevinva
My oldest (26) is in terrible pain with an impacted (horizontal) wisdom tooth. He has no insurance, trying to get an average cost. Looks like I'm going to have fun driving him around tomorrow.
If you have one nearby, try going to a dental school. The students always need guinea pigs to get their techniques down, and the price is usually considerably less than going to a full-fledged dentist.

Good luck!
Old Aug 20th 2010, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Wisdom teeth removal can range in price from $140 to $400 per tooth. This cost range does not include fees associated with sedation, X-rays, possible oral surgery necessities or the proximity of the wisdom tooth to surrounding teeth and nerves. Extraction costs for impacted wisdom teeth are significantly higher than for erupted wisdom teeth.

http://www.yourdentistryguide.com/wisdom-teeth/
Old Aug 20th 2010, 9:02 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

I know when my DD had to have a couple of teeth removed we had to go to a Dental Surgeon rather than the regular dentist..and it cost us $400 per tooth..they knocked her out and pulled em out..

Hope you can find someone quickly so your Son isn't in any pain for too long..
Old Aug 20th 2010, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
I know when my DD had to have a couple of teeth removed we had to go to a Dental Surgeon rather than the regular dentist..and it cost us $400 per tooth..they knocked her out and pulled em out..

Hope you can find someone quickly so your Son isn't in any pain for too long..
He needs to go today. I know that there are a few dentists around here that do surgical extractions, just wondered how accurate the online estimates were. Thanks.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

I would try what sunflwr suggested, a dental school will sometimes be very accommodating if it's not a routine procedure, it gives the students a chance to 'practise' and it is a whole lot cheaper
Old Aug 20th 2010, 11:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
If you have one nearby, try going to a dental school. The students always need guinea pigs to get their techniques down, and the price is usually considerably less than going to a full-fledged dentist.

Good luck!
Originally Posted by Englishtart
I would try what sunflwr suggested, a dental school will sometimes be very accommodating if it's not a routine procedure, it gives the students a chance to 'practise' and it is a whole lot cheaper

I'd want an oral surgeon with plenty of experience if I had impacted wisdom teeth...there is a danger of nerve damage as the surgeon tries to get the tooth out of the jaw bone. My hairdresser has no feeling in one side of her tongue due to having an impacted widom tooth removed.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'd want an oral surgeon with plenty of experience if I had impacted wisdom teeth...there is a danger of nerve damage as the surgeon tries to get the tooth out of the jaw bone. My hairdresser has no feeling in one side of her tongue due to having an impacted widom tooth removed.
The thing is though at the schools, they are very closely supervised and tend to take even more care than the 'experts'...So I hear
Old Aug 20th 2010, 3:15 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is though at the schools, they are very closely supervised and tend to take even more care than the 'experts'...So I hear
I'd heard the same, it takes a lot longer but the professor is over their shoulder and discussing the procedure step by step as they go.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 3:22 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

He needs to go today. I know that there are a few dentists around here that do surgical extractions, just wondered how accurate the online estimates were. Thanks.

good luck..
Old Aug 20th 2010, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Told by oral docs office he could raise hell at a hospital emergency room and they might call in their oncall oral doc and do it there. That way there is no immediate out of pocket. To be seen by oral surgeon is $60, $95 for xrays and up to $425 per tooth for extraction. 2-3 week wait for appointment at that one! The nearest dental school is about 150 miles away. The mother of one of DDs exes is an emergency room nurse, I'm going to ask her if it's possible the emergency room might get it done there.

He is feeling better today, there is decay in the wisdom tooth and I think he hit the nerve last night. He has vicodin at the ready now and some antibiotics, this should help until we can get him sorted.

Last edited by bevinva; Aug 20th 2010 at 5:24 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 5:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I'd heard the same, it takes a lot longer but the professor is over their shoulder and discussing the procedure step by step as they go.

Sorry but I still wouldn't take the risk.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sorry but I still wouldn't take the risk.
It's just an option for those without good dental insurance.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 6:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

It's just an option for those without good dental insurance.
I know...but I'm a coward. I talked my dentist into crowning my wisdom tooth...he wanted to extract it.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Told by oral docs office he could raise hell at a hospital emergency room and they might call in their oncall oral doc and do it there. That way there is no immediate out of pocket. To be seen by oral surgeon is $60, $95 for xrays and up to $425 per tooth for extraction. 2-3 week wait for appointment at that one! The nearest dental school is about 150 miles away. The mother of one of DDs exes is an emergency room nurse, I'm going to ask her if it's possible the emergency room might get it done there.

He is feeling better today, there is decay in the wisdom tooth and I think he hit the nerve last night. He has vicodin at the ready now and some antibiotics, this should help until we can get him sorted.
If he goes to the emergency room, there will likely be a $400 bill on top of the treatment. I'd call around to the all the oral surgeons in your area and plead your case and they may be able to fit him in. Someone seems to always miss their appointment which may allow them to fit him in at the end of the day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.