Reload this Page >

Immigration with autism

Immigration with autism

Old May 7th 2012, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Airborne_Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration with autism

Hi All,
I'm looking into immigrating with my family to Canada but have a daughter on the verge of being diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum disorder. So that probably puts an end to that. But as a back up plan I would consider moving to the USA. Either Seattle, Billingham or somewhere near the BC border. Can anyone tell me if the USA is likely to allow a family with a child of this diagnosis entry to the USA. Is there anyone who has has a similar experience. I would be very grateful for any insight.
Old May 7th 2012, 3:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration with autism

Hi Dan,

Out of interest, why do you think you can't emigrate to Canada with an autistic daughter?

Canada would certainly be a heck of a lot easier than the US, both from a visa point of view (which were you planning on getting to move to the US?), and healthcare as well.

I think this is the first time I've heard of somebody having the US as a 'back up plan', it's usually the other way round - they consider Canada after discovering there is no hope of getting a visa to move to the US!

Old May 7th 2012, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Airborne_Dan
So that probably puts an end to that.
Since autism isn't an infectious disease, I doubt it would be an immigration barrier either to Canada or to the US. Healthcare, however, might be a real barrier - and very expensive - if you decided to settle in the US.

But as a back up plan I would consider moving to the USA.
What sort of visa are you looking at that would allow you to live in the US?

Ian
Old May 7th 2012, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply Christmas and Ian, I have seen many threads on here where people have had PR applications rejected for having an autistic child. recently a professor was forced to leave Canada for this reason. It seems that the Canadian Govt. see this as likely to place an excessive demand on their health service. (Although mine goes to a mainstream school and if she does have it she has it very mild). I was exploring the possibility of getting in to the USA with a permanent visa. I am a uk trained registered nurse so hope that would help.
Old May 7th 2012, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Some friends of mine have just transferred to Toronto on work permits and they have a young disabled child and they went through hoops to get her through the medicals. It is possible but it took them an extra 3/4 months to get all the sign offs and evaluations from the doctors. They moved 2 weeks ago. Good luck.
Old May 7th 2012, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Well thats reassuring OP thanks!
Old May 7th 2012, 4:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am a uk trained registered nurse so hope that would help.
Alas, sadly not. Thanks to retrogression, there are no visas for nurses and there will likely be none for the foreseeable future (read = 10 years or more).

Ian
Old May 7th 2012, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a uk trained registered nurse so hope that would help.
Depending how long ago you trained will depend if you meet state requirements to sit NCLEX, then you need to pass NCLEX and find a employer.You need clinical and theory hours on your transcripts in Mental Health, Paeds, Obstetrics and Adult (just like Canada requires it)

As mentioned by Ian due to retrogression you are looking at 6+ years wait for a visa once you find a employer and your application is filed. Take that from one who applied in 2006 and would still be waiting in the UK for a immigrant visa. Now in Canada and loving it
Old May 7th 2012, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Australia?
Old May 7th 2012, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi Dan,

Out of interest, why do you think you can't emigrate to Canada with an autistic daughter?

Canada would certainly be a heck of a lot easier than the US, both from a visa point of view (which were you planning on getting to move to the US?), and healthcare as well.
http://www.visabureau.com/canada/new...-concerns.aspx
Old May 7th 2012, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thats one of the articles Ive seen Marocco
Old May 7th 2012, 10:30 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Australia?
Unfortunately not a good place to raise an autism spectrum child. And they still have to get past the medicals here, too.
Old May 7th 2012, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

New Zealand?
Old May 8th 2012, 7:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply Christmas and Ian, I have seen many threads on here where people have had PR applications rejected for having an autistic child.
I agree that it's possible to be rejected for having an autistic child, but you said your child is on the 'verge of being diagnosed' so it doesn't sound as though s/he would cost the Canadian healthcare system more than approx $6k a year (which is the figure at which she'd be rejected)? If she's severely autisitic, then yes, Canada won't be an option, but only you will know how much she'll cost in terms of extra care.

As has been said above, as a nurse you have no realistic route to a US visa anyway, so maybe it's worth a consult with an immigration consultant/lawyer to discuss whether your child would fail the Canadian medical or not? If not, then you can go back to Plan A.

Best of luck with it.

Old May 8th 2012, 7:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Unfortunately not a good place to raise an autism spectrum child. And they still have to get past the medicals here, too.
I certainly wouldn't bring an Autistic child over here (Aus), funding for support is just about non existent in many areas and yes the Medical would be tough but not impossible. However, I'd wait until you have a comprehensive diagnosis before going any futher, it may not be an issue at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.