British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Immigration with autism (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/immigration-autism-757434/)

Airborne_Dan May 7th 2012 1:59 pm

Immigration with autism

Hi All,
I'm looking into immigrating with my family to Canada but have a daughter on the verge of being diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum disorder. So that probably puts an end to that. But as a back up plan I would consider moving to the USA. Either Seattle, Billingham or somewhere near the BC border. Can anyone tell me if the USA is likely to allow a family with a child of this diagnosis entry to the USA. Is there anyone who has has a similar experience. I would be very grateful for any insight.

christmasoompa May 7th 2012 3:39 pm

Re: Immigration with autism

Hi Dan,

Out of interest, why do you think you can't emigrate to Canada with an autistic daughter?

Canada would certainly be a heck of a lot easier than the US, both from a visa point of view (which were you planning on getting to move to the US?), and healthcare as well.

I think this is the first time I've heard of somebody having the US as a 'back up plan', it's usually the other way round - they consider Canada after discovering there is no hope of getting a visa to move to the US!

:)

ian-mstm May 7th 2012 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Airborne_Dan (Post 10046014)
So that probably puts an end to that.

Since autism isn't an infectious disease, I doubt it would be an immigration barrier either to Canada or to the US. Healthcare, however, might be a real barrier - and very expensive - if you decided to settle in the US.

But as a back up plan I would consider moving to the USA.
What sort of visa are you looking at that would allow you to live in the US?

Ian

Airborne_Dan May 7th 2012 4:42 pm

Thanks for the reply Christmas and Ian, I have seen many threads on here where people have had PR applications rejected for having an autistic child. recently a professor was forced to leave Canada for this reason. It seems that the Canadian Govt. see this as likely to place an excessive demand on their health service. (Although mine goes to a mainstream school and if she does have it she has it very mild). I was exploring the possibility of getting in to the USA with a permanent visa. I am a uk trained registered nurse so hope that would help.

Orangepants May 7th 2012 4:46 pm

Some friends of mine have just transferred to Toronto on work permits and they have a young disabled child and they went through hoops to get her through the medicals. It is possible but it took them an extra 3/4 months to get all the sign offs and evaluations from the doctors. They moved 2 weeks ago. Good luck.

Airborne_Dan May 7th 2012 4:48 pm

Well thats reassuring OP thanks!

ian-mstm May 7th 2012 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Airborne_Dan (Post 10046306)
I am a uk trained registered nurse so hope that would help.

Alas, sadly not. Thanks to retrogression, there are no visas for nurses and there will likely be none for the foreseeable future (read = 10 years or more).

Ian

Silverdragon102 May 7th 2012 6:32 pm

I am a uk trained registered nurse so hope that would help.

Depending how long ago you trained will depend if you meet state requirements to sit NCLEX, then you need to pass NCLEX and find a employer.You need clinical and theory hours on your transcripts in Mental Health, Paeds, Obstetrics and Adult (just like Canada requires it)

As mentioned by Ian due to retrogression you are looking at 6+ years wait for a visa once you find a employer and your application is filed. Take that from one who applied in 2006 and would still be waiting in the UK for a immigrant visa. Now in Canada and loving it

scrubbedexpat099 May 7th 2012 6:35 pm

Australia?

Marocco May 7th 2012 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10046177)
Hi Dan,

Out of interest, why do you think you can't emigrate to Canada with an autistic daughter?

Canada would certainly be a heck of a lot easier than the US, both from a visa point of view (which were you planning on getting to move to the US?), and healthcare as well.

http://www.visabureau.com/canada/new...-concerns.aspx

Airborne_Dan May 7th 2012 7:26 pm

Thats one of the articles Ive seen Marocco

Dorothy May 7th 2012 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10046539)
Australia?

Unfortunately not a good place to raise an autism spectrum child. And they still have to get past the medicals here, too.

scrubbedexpat099 May 7th 2012 11:01 pm

New Zealand?

christmasoompa May 8th 2012 7:10 am

Thanks for the reply Christmas and Ian, I have seen many threads on here where people have had PR applications rejected for having an autistic child.

I agree that it's possible to be rejected for having an autistic child, but you said your child is on the 'verge of being diagnosed' so it doesn't sound as though s/he would cost the Canadian healthcare system more than approx $6k a year (which is the figure at which she'd be rejected)? If she's severely autisitic, then yes, Canada won't be an option, but only you will know how much she'll cost in terms of extra care.

As has been said above, as a nurse you have no realistic route to a US visa anyway, so maybe it's worth a consult with an immigration consultant/lawyer to discuss whether your child would fail the Canadian medical or not? If not, then you can go back to Plan A.

Best of luck with it.

:)

moneypenny20 May 8th 2012 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 10046910)
Unfortunately not a good place to raise an autism spectrum child. And they still have to get past the medicals here, too.

I certainly wouldn't bring an Autistic child over here (Aus), funding for support is just about non existent in many areas and yes the Medical would be tough but not impossible. However, I'd wait until you have a comprehensive diagnosis before going any futher, it may not be an issue at all.

Leon_87 May 8th 2012 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Airborne_Dan (Post 10046014)
Hi All,
I'm looking into immigrating with my family to Canada but have a daughter on the verge of being diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum disorder. So that probably puts an end to that. But as a back up plan I would consider moving to the USA. Either Seattle, Billingham or somewhere near the BC border. Can anyone tell me if the USA is likely to allow a family with a child of this diagnosis entry to the USA. Is there anyone who has has a similar experience. I would be very grateful for any insight.

I have lived in 5 different European states in my life and moving around was so easy (probably the most annoying thing was getting a domestic SIM card for the phone hihi :D) that it actually is surprising to start writing and reading this forum and finding out that immigrating to other places is that hard..

I guess you have your good reasons for willing to move to Canada and/or the US, but don't forget your precious EU passport opens you the gates to relocation in any European state, some of which are amazing, all having fantastic health care public systems, and none will refuse you on the grounds of your daughter having especial needs. Maybe not a Plan B, but could make a Plan C :)

scrubbedexpat099 May 8th 2012 3:51 pm

Like Greece?

Leon_87 May 8th 2012 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10048305)
Like Greece?

Greece or any other EU/EEA state for that matter could not legally refuse a fellow European citizen on the grounds that one of them has a permanent handicap or disease (as long as medical treatment is not the primary purpose of the relocation).

So yes, even Greece.

scrubbedexpat099 May 8th 2012 3:58 pm

all having fantastic health care public systems
?

Leon_87 May 8th 2012 4:24 pm

The EU passport the person who started this thread has gives him/her right of abode in several territories comprising over 500 million people. Obviously some states, regions, cities or even areas of a city have better health care systems than some others. Nevertheless, as a rule, public health systems in Europe are rather very good, if not the best of the world. I don't think I'm revealing any major secret here.

If you have fun at pointing the exceptions for whatever reason, I won't be the one not allowing you to exercise your hobby.

The person who started this thread seems to be willing to relocate and, based on the obstacles he's facing due to health reasons I just wanted to remind him that the situation closer to where he/she is may not be that exotic as moving to Canada but definitely a comfortable one with plenty a choices and zero obstacles related to the current health situation of his/her relative. Again, I don't see the point in having people denigrate what was a genuine honest suggestion. European countries do have, in general, good public health systems but that doesn't mean other people in other countries should react badly when hearing that.

Ps: have you got any proof to openly say that Greek health system is bad?

Nutmegger May 8th 2012 4:33 pm

[QUOTE=Leon_87;10048367 Ps: have you got any proof to openly say that Greek health system is bad? [/QUOTE]

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/27/wo...pagewanted=all

helpmeplease123 May 8th 2012 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Leon_87 (Post 10048367)

What, really? :blink:

Just type in greek healthcare system into google and you'll have all the "proof" you need...first result: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...nk-catastrophe

Leon_87 May 8th 2012 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123 (Post 10048653)
What, really? :blink:

Just type in greek healthcare system into google and you'll have all the "proof" you need...first result: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...nk-catastrophe

Probably a few millions in America would kill for that healthcare system.

If you are happy believing everyone else around you is worse and you are just the best, suit yourself.

Orangepants May 8th 2012 9:02 pm

exotic as moving to Canada

Golly I cant think of anywhere less exotic! I had to relocate there from Cayman for three months after Hurricane Ivan and I can tell you it is not exotic! Spent nine months in Halkidiki, Greece - Gorgeous!

helpmeplease123 May 8th 2012 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Leon_87 (Post 10048844)
Probably a few millions in America would kill for that healthcare system.

If you are happy believing everyone else around you is worse and you are just the best, suit yourself.

Eh? When did I say I was the best...?
I'm honestly baffled by your response - it's along the lines of "I know you are but what am I" and yet your username suggests you're 24/25.

Greece are facing some serious economic problems right now, how are you not aware of this? Their healthcare system is in a terrible state, right along with the rest of their economy. Millions of American would NOT kill for it (unless maybe you're referring to illegal immigrants) and emigrating to Greece at this moment in time is a ridiculous idea (including the fact that Greek people currently are supporting a right wing anti-immigration party in droves).

moneypenny20 May 8th 2012 11:10 pm

Nevertheless, as a rule, public health systems in Europe are rather very good, if not the best of the world. I don't think I'm revealing any major secret here.

If you have fun at pointing the exceptions for whatever reason, I won't be the one not allowing you to exercise your hobby.

The person who started this thread seems to be willing to relocate and, based on the obstacles he's facing due to health reasons I just wanted to remind him that the situation closer to where he/she is may not be that exotic as moving to Canada but definitely a comfortable one with plenty a choices and zero obstacles related to the current health situation of his/her relative. Again, I don't see the point in having people denigrate what was a genuine honest suggestion. European countries do have, in general, good public health systems but that doesn't mean other people in other countries should react badly when hearing that.

Well my sister lived in Greece for 20 years, she's a really nice, very understanding positive person. She tells me the Greek 'Health Service' is complete shite and I believe her.

Out of interest, the highlighted parts of your posts,

Originally Posted by Leon_87 (Post 10048034)
The EU passport the person who started this thread has gives him/her right of abode in several territories comprising over 500 million people. Obviously some states, regions, cities or even areas of a city have better health care systems than some others.

and

Originally Posted by Leon_87 (Post 10048034)
I have lived in 5 different European states in my life and moving around

you mention states and territories and regions. I have no idea what or where these are. The Europe I know is made up of Countries. I'm sure the French, Italians etc would love to hear that you consider them states of Europe. :rolleyes:

MoshiMoshi May 9th 2012 8:47 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 10049080)
and you mention states and territories and regions. I have no idea what or where these are. The Europe I know is made up of Countries. I'm sure the French, Italians etc would love to hear that you consider them states of Europe. :rolleyes:

'State' can mean either province/region (e.g. California) or nation/government. In England, it's more typically used for nation/government. Hence state schools, nanny state, state pension. It's perfectly fine to refer to the member states of the EU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_...European_Union

moneypenny20 May 9th 2012 10:00 am

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi (Post 10049744)
'State' can mean either province/region (e.g. California) or nation/government. In England, it's more typically used for nation/government. Hence state schools, nanny state, state pension. It's perfectly fine to refer to the member states of the EU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_...European_Union

I know what a State is thanks ;) but as for the EU States, it's definitely not fine and I should imagine it would be the same for the majority of residents in the separate countries who happen to be members of the EU. Ask a Frenchman if he lives in the country of France or a state of the EU, I'm fairly sure I know what his answer would be.

ian-mstm May 9th 2012 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Orangepants (Post 10048884)
I cant think of anywhere less exotic! I had to relocate there from Cayman for three months after Hurricane Ivan and I can tell you it is not exotic!

Canada is larger than the US... where were you exactly? Some parts of Canada are, admittedly, less exotic than other parts.

Ian

MoshiMoshi May 9th 2012 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 10049080)
you mention states and territories and regions. I have no idea what or where these are.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 10049861)
I know what a State is thanks ;)

Sorry for getting that confused.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 10049861)
Ask a Frenchman if he lives in the country of France or a state of the EU, I'm fairly sure I know what his answer would be.

It doesn't really matter what his answer would be; France is still a member state of the EU. If it's just a question of attitude, I don't know why you had to requote the other poster as if he'd said the most ridiculous, uninformed thing in the world.

moneypenny20 May 9th 2012 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi (Post 10050066)

It doesn't really matter what his answer would be; France is still a member state of the EU. If it's just a question of attitude, I don't know why you had to requote the other poster as if he'd said the most ridiculous, uninformed thing in the world.

You may have read it like that but I most certainly didn't mean it like that and I object to the suggestion that I did. You quote someone so that people understand what you're discussing. A bit like you quoted me.

Orangepants May 9th 2012 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 10050062)
Canada is larger than the US... where were you exactly? Some parts of Canada are, admittedly, less exotic than other parts.

Ian

Yes bit of an over-generalization there! I know there are some parts of Canada which are quite spectacular. Have yet to get to the west coast and visit Vancouver and Whistler. I was in Toronto, staying downtown at One King West so can't complain but the reality of city living just worn me down after a few weeks and the cold started to creep in early December. I have been back many times as the company then established and kept an office there. The train ride to Montreal was the highlight of my stay. :starsmile:

Airborne_Dan May 9th 2012 3:40 pm

Well thankyou all for taking the time to reply and for the information given. Although we went a little off topic this gives me plenty to consider, I'll just have to wait out for a firm diagnosis. I'll let you know how I get on!

Jerseygirl Oct 8th 2012 5:40 pm

Sonnyg I have moved your thread over to the Australia forum.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...4#post10320154