Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

If you use transferwise change your password

If you use transferwise change your password

Old Feb 27th 2017, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default If you use transferwise change your password

Transferwise was affected along with many other sites by the cloudbleed bug.

https://github.com/pirate/sites-usin...ster/README.md
Old Feb 27th 2017, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you use transferwise change your password

It's worth while saying that if you don't already, please use a password manager with unique passwords.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 3:44 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Also, did you know that if you type your password within the tags [PWORD][/PWORD] it will appear like this on screen: ************?

Try it. It works with credit card numbers, too!

Please don't really try it. I don't want to get in trouble.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Also, did you know that if you type your password within the tags [PWORD][/PWORD] it will appear like this on screen: ************?

Please don't really try it. I don't want to get in trouble.

Last edited by tom169; Feb 27th 2017 at 3:54 pm. Reason: Crap I didn't realize it was a troll
Old Feb 27th 2017, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169

It's worth while saying that if you don't already, please use a password manager with unique passwords.
For those not entirely tech savvy, isn't the use of a password manager an even greater vulnerability, if the password manager itself gets hacked? I personally use a local password manager, and disable all 'automation' (ie, don't let it match sites and pre-fill usernames and passwords), but I've seen many password managers that are themselves hosted, and are quite 'clever' in that they will detect the site you are on, and pre-fill the relevant info as a user convenience ... very convenient but also susceptible to hacking.

I don't even store 'actual' passwords in the manager, but rather, a derivative, so that if the password manager were hacked, the hacker wouldn't get the goods.

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

What's the point ... where would you type this and why?

Last edited by Steerpike; Feb 27th 2017 at 4:29 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
For those not entirely tech savvy, isn't the use of a password manager an even greater vulnerability, if the password manager itself gets hacked? I personally use a local password manager, and disable all 'automation' (ie, don't let it match sites and pre-fill usernames and passwords), but I've seen many password managers that are themselves hosted, and are quite 'clever' in that they will detect the site you are on, and pre-fill the relevant info as a user convenience ... very convenient but also susceptible to hacking.

What's the point ... where would you type this and why?
The password managers that pre-fill are better for the not so tech savvy. If you land on a phishing site it will not pre fill the fields and alert the person that something has changed. So good and bad.

Also a lot of people will now use apps on multiple devices, having a local password manager can make this difficult for some people.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
The password managers that pre-fill are better for the not so tech savvy. If you land on a phishing site it will not pre fill the fields and alert the person that something has changed. So good and bad.

Also a lot of people will now use apps on multiple devices, having a local password manager can make this difficult for some people.
Oh, no doubt - but - I think that a sophisticated solution that is externally hosted (cloud based) is just an even bigger problem waiting to happen. In order to support the user on multiple devices, every one of those devices has to be supported, and any one of them could have a vulnerability. I have installed my tool on my phone, so no matter what device I'm using I can pull up my phone and find the password.

This truly is one of the bigger challenges facing the internet today ... so many sites, so many logins, so many different rules on different sites.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you got malware on your device how easy would it be for all your password to be compromised?
A hosting company will have higher level security than most people have on their home PC, but a hosting company will be a bigger target.
Email password are the most valuable, so use MFA whenever possible.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

The key point is not re-using passwords and keeping passwords strong. The best solution would be remember them all in your head, but that isn't possible for most people.

Password managers that store the information remotely so that it can be syndicated across devices generally have some key that isn't stored on the server, but instead on the device. That means that if the server is compromised then all what someone would see is the encrypted passwords.

2 factor authentication should be in place using a secured device for both accessing the password manager and any website (where possible).
Old Feb 27th 2017, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Email password are the most valuable, so use MFA whenever possible.
Yeah, for most people getting access to the email is game over. Forgot passwords, security question resets etc.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We should also stop using the word password and use passphrase instead. It's an old habit to break
Old Feb 27th 2017, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

We should also stop using the word password and use passphrase instead. It's an old habit to break
My password generation method relies on my memory of a good length of poetry and patterns within it.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 8:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike

I don't even store 'actual' passwords in the manager, but rather, a derivative, so that if the password manager were hacked, the hacker wouldn't get the goods.
Keepass run off a thumb drive? Can save the database on dropbox if you have multiple devices that have the app installed if you didn't have it on a thumb drive I suppose.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
Keepass run off a thumb drive? Can save the database on dropbox if you have multiple devices that have the app installed if you didn't have it on a thumb drive I suppose.
Dropbox has had security issues in the past, it's not a security focused product

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...8m-data-breach

There is an update for keepass

The automatic update feature in KeePass 2.33 and earlier allows man-in-the-middle attackers to execute arbitrary code by spoofing the version check response and supplying a crafted update.

https://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/s...pe=all&cves=on

Last edited by mrken30; Feb 27th 2017 at 9:13 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

jambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond repute

It's more fun when you have 10 different passphrases memorised in your head, but after a while away from some sites, you'll forget which of those you used!!

I know a lot of people who use passphrase apps etc, but I wouldn't trust it myself at all!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.