Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

I have lost faith in America!

I have lost faith in America!

Old Dec 13th 2015, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have lost faith in America!

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Ironically guns are quite hard to obtain legally in Mexico. The reason guns are widely available and there is an epidemic of drug-related shootings in Mexico is that guns are purchased in the US and smuggled into Mexico.

Here is a Wikipedia article on the subject. These were "government sanctioned sales", but no doubt these are only the tip of the iceberg.
When it comes to guns and North America, the US is the weak link in the chain.

Some Canadian's end up in the gun smuggling game and don't even know they were involved....

Gun Runners: Unsuspecting Canadian drivers drawn into world of weapons smuggling | Windsor News - Breaking News & Latest Headlines | Windsor Star

US is the main source of smuggled guns into Canada.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here 37 years, and I like it. Like some others have said, the OP needs to stop worrying about things that he can do nothing about, and may be volunteer his time where he can make a difference. No country is Utopia, and I hate that many politicians in the USA, at both the federal and state level, seem more responsive to their lobbyists than their constituents.

On the other hand, it is good to see so many involved in volunteer work, such as United Way, Habitat for Humanity, Salvation Army, Feed the homeless, Free Health Clinic etc, some of which might be unnecessary, if the politicians were doing their job,and not being so hypocritical.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 7:57 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Everywhere in the world sucks. And [almost] everywhere in the world is great too.

If you don't like it, move elsewhere. But beware, something will suck there too. Nowhere is perfect. Grass is greener and all that...

Come on over to Spain. Lots of things are great here, but there of plenty of things that are astronomically stupid too. Lots of expats here just can't handle it. Different set of headaches than you have, but whether it really sucks or not is in the eyes of the beholder. If you choose to hang around, you find ways around the stuff that sucks... Like anywhere else you may choose to live.

Good luck with that.
Old Dec 14th 2015, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighlandPenguin
Please #Guindalf!!! Don't make me laugh!. Sounds like you are one of those people who are in denial about the problems in the US!
Wait. What????

Where did I say there were no problems in the USA? Huh?

Of COURSE there are problems here, just as there are in every country. I just stated what a lot of people are telling you - you need help - and quick!

Anyway, looks like several people have tried to help just like I did and you shot them all down. This is a public FORUM, which means people will give their opinions. Having a closed mind is a sure way of proving you have problems. If you don't want advice, don't ask for it. Simple really. But, you can't cherry-pick what's given so it fits you. You have to take it all and consider it.

Last edited by Guindalf; Dec 14th 2015 at 2:13 am.
Old Dec 14th 2015, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighlandPenguin
Hi All Come next May, it will be 12 years since I moved to the US. Now more than ever I am truly struggling to be optimistic about the future of the US for myself, let alone for my wife and daughter. A whole host of issues are driving this feeling I have, including the lack of gun control, climate science denial, abuse of woman's rights, bigotry etc..... Therefore I wanted to reach out to the BE community and find out amongst expats and Americans alike, if any of you feel the same way or if I am alone in how I feel? If there are others out there feeling the same way, are you also seriously considering turning your back on America and moving elsewhere? I am really interested if any of you are considering trying to move to places like Canada or back to Europe. In the last 4 years, my OH and I have tried to go back to Scotland, but those two attempts didn't work for us, but in hindsight I wish we had succeeded there. I am not saying these places are perfect, but I just feel that at least in these other places they are trying to do the right thing, unlike here in America. Any advise and support will be welcome. Cheers, Highlandpenguin
I've been here 25 years and the longer I live here, the more I find to dislike about the US - the politics, gun violence, etc. I've thought about returning to the UK many times. Why do I stay? I have two adult children and 4 adorable grand-children here. My daughters (who were born in England and came here at ages 15 and 12) would probably go back to the UK if their American husbands would agree, but that is unlikely to happen. Tomorrow is the 3rd anniversary of the Sandy Hook shootings. My oldest daughter was on anti-depressants for a full year after that happened - didn't want to put her children on the school bus after that. That says it all....................
Old Dec 14th 2015, 2:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There does seem far too many pills prescribed.
Old Dec 14th 2015, 5:19 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

A funny thing happened to me during my 41 years living in the US. I used to get periods of home sickness for the first few years I was here.

When I spent a few weeks in the UK back in 2007 where I have relatives in London I wanted to get the hell out and back to California.

Sure things are much better in the UK these days than when I left but people look miserable and mentally self absorbed. Or maybe all big cities the world over are the same

I spent a week in New York a few years back, hated it the whole time, wall to wall people, cup of java at 5 dollars a kick and no refills, Broadway shows booked up months in advance and the drivers .....and the way they drive ..... oh lord. What would a New York driver do if he didn't have a car horn to pound every other minute and if that would solve the problems of thinning out a traffic jam

Maybe I've become a small town western boy. Certainly I love the deserts and the mountains and the forests.

Years back when we were younger my wife and I would sometimes spend a morning up in the mountains on the ski slopes then we'd drive an hour and a bit or so and do some surfing in Malibu or Redondo Beach. Where else could you do that?

I'm not saying California is paradise but it's easy on the mind in many ways.

I don't like the creeping bi-lingualism that is gradually manifesting itself. Nearly all big stores and retail outlets now have signs in Spanish also. It brings back memories of French-Canada and all the problems they had or still have over the language issue, divisive in the long run. I would have thought that Spanish speakers, like millions of immigrants before them who came to these shores would master the English language
t
Old Dec 14th 2015, 5:24 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
I would have thought that Spanish speakers, like millions of immigrants before them who came to these shores would master the English language
t
The English speakers never bothered to learn Spanish when they first arrived in California, so I suppose the precedent was set.
Old Dec 14th 2015, 5:42 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The English speakers never bothered to learn Spanish when they first arrived in California, so I suppose the precedent was set.
When I had to move from Sheffield down to Sussex as a lad of fifteen I had to learn a whole new language when I got there.
Old Dec 14th 2015, 6:42 am
Expert ping ponger

HighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Wait. What????

Where did I say there were no problems in the USA? Huh?

Of COURSE there are problems here, just as there are in every country. I just stated what a lot of people are telling you - you need help - and quick!

Anyway, looks like several people have tried to help just like I did and you shot them all down. This is a public FORUM, which means people will give their opinions. Having a closed mind is a sure way of proving you have problems. If you don't want advice, don't ask for it. Simple really. But, you can't cherry-pick what's given so it fits you. You have to take it all and consider it.
LOL Guindalf - How you get me needing help and me being closed minded from having a loss of confidence in the US is hilarious, but I guess it takes all sorts!
Old Dec 14th 2015, 6:50 am
Expert ping ponger

HighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

All of your thoughts and opinions have definitely given me food for thought. It is much appreciated.
Old Dec 14th 2015, 12:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
When I had to move from Sheffield down to Sussex as a lad of fifteen I had to learn a whole new language when I got there.
I made the move from Sheffield to Gloucester at age 8, and the language differences were noticeable, but my accent never changed, and hasn't to this day, so far as I can tell, including more than ten years in London, and now fourteen in the US.
Old Dec 14th 2015, 2:56 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm struggling to understand why someone so deeply opposed to legal guns that they would move their family out of the country despite not being personally affected would emigrate directly to the wilds of Kentucky. Surely you must have had some sense of what you were getting into? Kentucky is a beautiful state and has many merits, but it's likely not the ideal place for a liberal European with deeply held convictions to ease themselves into the US.
Old Dec 14th 2015, 3:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I'm struggling to understand why someone so deeply opposed to legal guns that they would move their family out of the country despite not being personally affected would emigrate directly to the wilds of Kentucky. Surely you must have had some sense of what you were getting into? Kentucky is a beautiful state and has many merits, but it's likely not the ideal place for a liberal European with deeply held convictions to ease themselves into the US.
Less gun crime than the Dem/liberal friendly cities?
Old Dec 14th 2015, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Horses?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.