Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

I have lost faith in America!

I have lost faith in America!

Old Dec 13th 2015, 6:41 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have lost faith in America!

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
No gun control laws would have prevented San Bernardino, they would have found a way to obtain the guns. France and Australia both have gun control of some sort, and they still had loons go on a rampage.

Canada has gun control, and we had a loon go on a shooting spree at Parliament back in 2014 and a loon who also in 2014 went on a shooting spree in Moncton, New Brunswick killing 3 cops. (He went specifically after police in his rampage.)

The US has issues like anywhere else, but people here still have guns in Canada and it doesn't seem all that difficult to get guns legally if one so desires and passes the background checks and such, and Canada has it's own issues as well, just a smaller scale and of different sorts.
Banning firearms here wouldn't achieve much. We share a 2,000 mile border with Mexico and guns would I'm sure be smuggled across quite easily from Mexico. During prohibition there was enough booze smuggled across from Mexico and Canada to flood half the world. Why would it be any different today in the case of firearms and worse still those smuggled firearms would not be registered
Old Dec 13th 2015, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighlandPenguin
Hi All

I have tried to go back to Scotland, but those two attempts didn't work for us, but in hindsight I wish we had succeeded there. I am not saying these places are perfect, but I just feel that at least in these other places they are trying to do the right thing, unlike here in America.

Cheers,

Highlandpenguin
What's the problem with going back to Scotland? i would return ASAP no matter what it took.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 11:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Banning firearms here wouldn't achieve much. We share a 2,000 mile border with Mexico and guns would I'm sure be smuggled across quite easily from Mexico. During prohibition there was enough booze smuggled across from Mexico and Canada to flood half the world. Why would it be any different today in the case of firearms and worse still those smuggled firearms would not be registered
Ironically guns are quite hard to obtain legally in Mexico. The reason guns are widely available and there is an epidemic of drug-related shootings in Mexico is that guns are purchased in the US and smuggled into Mexico.

Here is a Wikipedia article on the subject. These were "government sanctioned sales", but no doubt these are only the tip of the iceberg.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Fair comment

The prospect of Hillary scares the living shit out of many people.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 1:03 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighlandPenguin
#Pulaski you know you are probably right and I need to try focus on what I can change for my family and less on what I can't like the quote from Reinhold Niebuhr:

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
I do hope you've been voting in US elections any years you've been eligible, along with those eligible in your family ....

That's the best antidote to losing one's faith in any country's public policies.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 1:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I do hope you've been voting in US elections any years you've been eligible, along with those eligible in your family ....

That's the best antidote to losing one's faith in any country's public policies.
I think that's his problem, that he's supportive of policies that he doesn't think will ever be implemented, and I don't see that voting for candidates who either aren't elected or are always in an ideological minority, as any sort of antidote to the frustration he's feeling.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 1:10 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think that's his problem, that he's supportive of policies that he doesn't think will ever be implemented, and I don't see that as any sort of antidote to the frustration he's feeling.
Researching to find those seeking public office who support his ideas, then supporting them through volunteering, then eventually voting them into office?

It can work.... even in America.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I lost faith in the UK when I saw David Cameron laughing at a Scottish MP in the Commons.

The US isn't perfect but I've realized they're always trying to do better. Look at what's happening with the police at the moment; people are outraged a few officers made poor decisions (for want of a better term) and people want change. Hopefully change will come and we'll be the better for it.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Researching to find those seeking public office who support his ideas, then supporting them through volunteering, then eventually voting them into office?

It can work.... even in America. ....
Good luck with that if it involves gun control.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 1:51 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Fair comment

The prospect of Hillary scares the living shit out of many people.

As does the prospect of Trump.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think that's his problem, that he's supportive of policies that he doesn't think will ever be implemented, and I don't see that voting for candidates who either aren't elected or are always in an ideological minority, as any sort of antidote to the frustration he's feeling.
I used to live in Boulder County, I swear a blind donkey could be elected if it was DEM.

I know people who register themselves for the other party in such cases so they get a say.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
As does the prospect of Trump.
But that is a very long shot. sadly Hillary is not.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 2:39 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I used to live in Boulder County, I swear a blind donkey could be elected if it was DEM.,.
... where they're very quick to jump all over any elephant in the room, too .
Roll eyes when Sanders held a campaign rally in the People's Republic and preached on about income inequality ...... of all places.

The grass always seems greenier on the other side of the fence; but with enough care, you can make the grass as green as you want on your side of the fence. Seek out those you want to surround yourself with!
Old Dec 13th 2015, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9

The grass always seems greenier on the other side of the fence; but with enough care, you can make the grass as green as you want on your side of the fence. Seek out those you want to surround yourself with!
This

To the OP:

I have been here 26 years now and still do not know if it is the right or wrong place to be.

I have learned to appreciate the good and try to ignore the rest. It may not be the way to be but I know that if we moved back to the UK there would also be the same struggles.

I found that as life became easier and by that I mean when we finally slotted into regular employment and had reasonable benefits then we could enjoy life a little more.

It's hard to be torn between two countries, lots of us know how you feel. There is no magic solution but the worst thing you can do is spend time thinking you made the wrong decision when you ping ponged. There may be a better opportunity in the future to return and if it comes along you may want to persue it but right now use your time and energy into making your family life here enjoyable.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
No we haven't. Not since Port Arthur in 1996 after which major changes were made to gun ownership/control.
It was my mistake, I thought people had died in larger number at the cafe hostage issue in 2014, but appears there was not much of a casualty count.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.