British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Hurricane Florence - South Carolinas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/hurricane-florence-south-carolinas-917153/)

petitefrancaise Sep 11th 2018 2:06 am

Hurricane Florence - South Carolinas

Stay safe everyone.
even Pulaski!
xx

scrubbedexpat097 Sep 11th 2018 2:51 am

Re: Hurricane Florence - South Carolinas

Yep. It's that time of year again. Lots of old BE posters and some more recent in that vicinity, thinking of you all guys! Stay safe. Flo is looking pretty mean:thumbdown:

tom169 Sep 11th 2018 10:58 am

What about the North Carolinas? :(

But thanks, we are currently working logistics to take a family dog and potentially some people who are evacuating.

tom169 Sep 11th 2018 11:06 am

If there are BE posters looking for a place to go please PM me.

spouse of scouse Sep 11th 2018 11:18 am

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12561692)

:heart:

scrubbedexpat097 Sep 11th 2018 11:27 am

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12561692)

That's a wonderful gesture. When you hear all your neighbors saying they are going to family here and there and you have no family to go to a friendly voice with an invite is worth a lot .

moneypenny20 Sep 11th 2018 1:00 pm

Hope everyone is safe and it dials it down a bit.

notaclue Sep 11th 2018 1:51 pm

Sitting here waiting for orders to head that way - It is frustrating as they often leave it until the last moment!

MtbbikeVanlife Sep 11th 2018 2:02 pm

Here in Richmond, VA we're expecting some severe flooding and power loss - the ground is already saturated so the tree's will fall on those power lines at the slightest opportunity.

That said, it's nothing compared to being in the path of the storm - as with tom169, we can offer shelter to any expat in need - please PM as needed.

Stay safe !

Carl.

Rete Sep 11th 2018 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by notaclue (Post 12561790)
Sitting here waiting for orders to head that way - It is frustrating as they often leave it until the last moment!

Then again, they don't know how many are needed, where and when until the last minute.

It is hoped that Florence won't reach category 5. Please stay safe everyone in the path of Florence and her resulting flooding and tornadoes.

Owen778 Sep 11th 2018 5:13 pm

Good luck to everyone who's at risk.

We visited the Outer Banks this summer. The beaches are beautiful, but storms can be catastrophic.

BenK91 Sep 11th 2018 5:26 pm

Thinking of people in it's path and hope they stay safe!

TimandRae Sep 11th 2018 7:17 pm

Good luck, folks.

Olly_ Sep 11th 2018 11:56 pm

Stay safe everybody :fingerscrossed:

SarahG Sep 12th 2018 5:22 pm

We have decided to stay at home. If it looks like it is going to get worse for Charleston then we will head out. Windows are boarded up. Both cars have full tanks. We have plenty of water and food. We also have a generator that we picked up today. I'm currently working from home as the hospital has said only emergency personnel should be on site. Team A are due to start arriving at noon and are scheduled to be there for 72 hours and they will then be replaced by Team B. As I am not medical personnel I am not required to go in.

Rete Sep 12th 2018 6:25 pm

Stay safe, Sarah and good luck to your home and property.

Nutmegger Sep 12th 2018 6:53 pm

Good luck everyone, and stay safe. Don't underestimate how useful filling the bathtub with water pre-storm can be! I pooh-poohed it for years, then when I did it and the power was out for over a week, it turned out to be really useful. (After a false start when I found that the bath plug gradually let the water out, and had to place one of those round rubber-mat-type stoppers over the drain to safeguard my precious stash!)

BEVS Sep 12th 2018 8:19 pm

Good luck to everyone living in the path or indirect path of hurricane Florence.

Stay safe as you all can . Here is to hoping there is little to no personal loss or damage for everyone & that the aftermath clean up is as quick and efficient as it can be.

scrubbedexpat097 Sep 12th 2018 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by SarahG (Post 12562367)
We have decided to stay at home. If it looks like it is going to get worse for Charleston then we will head out. Windows are boarded up. Both cars have full tanks. We have plenty of water and food. We also have a generator that we picked up today. I'm currently working from home as the hospital has said only emergency personnel should be on site. Team A are due to start arriving at noon and are scheduled to be there for 72 hours and they will then be replaced by Team B. As I am not medical personnel I am not required to go in.

sometimes it is safer to stay at home than to be on the road with everyone evacuating! Whatever you do stay safe and hunker down.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 13th 2018 3:41 am

Photos from space

https://www.space.com/41800-hurrican...ut-photos.html

As of 11pm EDT the storm is a cat 2 according to National Hurricane Center.

"Florence is now a category 2
hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind scale. Little
change in strength is expected before the center reaches the coast"

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refres...l/130248.shtml

Rete Sep 13th 2018 4:15 am

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 12562443)
sometimes it is safer to stay at home than to be on the road with everyone evacuating! Whatever you do stay safe and hunker down.

I have to agree with Sugarmooma on this. Unless you started to head out of town/city/state early this morning, you left it too late to be of use. Find out where the nearest shelter is for you and the family and plan on going there before flooding occurs. Pack your overnighter now and put it in the truck of the car or by the front door and don't forget the kids favorite bedtime blankie.

Rete Sep 13th 2018 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12562531)
Photos from space

https://www.space.com/41800-hurrican...ut-photos.html

As of 11pm EDT the storm is a cat 2 according to National Hurricane Center.

"Florence is now a category 2
hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind scale. Little
change in strength is expected before the center reaches the coast"

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refres...l/130248.shtml

Then its already been DOWNGRADED from a category 4. That's great news.

yellowroom Sep 13th 2018 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12562537)
Then its already been DOWNGRADED from a category 4. That's great news.

It's less intense, but it has got bigger. Concerns also that the path is unpredictable and slow, and that a Cat 2 stuck on one place too long could be more damaging than a Cat 4 breezing through, particularly in the volume of water it will drop."Its hurricane-force winds extend 70 miles from the center of the eye, and its cloud field is four times the size of Ohio".

tom169 Sep 13th 2018 1:28 pm

Much more concerned about rain than winds. Took the pool level down by a foot so should be covered from that perspective at least.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 13th 2018 4:08 pm

Most recent update.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refres...l/131444.shtml

I could not imagine getting 20-30" of rain in such a short time.

scrubbedexpat097 Sep 13th 2018 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12562832)
Most recent update.

oh believe me, it happens and it is scary #harvey2017 We survived!

HDWill Sep 13th 2018 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12562832)
Most recent update.

Happened here in central South Carolina during our 'historic rain event' of 2015. Thankfully for this immediate area we are looking at less than 10" this weekend. Flood related deaths still quite possible though.

Pollyana Sep 13th 2018 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 12562706)
It's less intense, but it has got bigger. Concerns also that the path is unpredictable and slow, and that a Cat 2 stuck on one place too long could be more damaging than a Cat 4 breezing through, particularly in the volume of water it will drop."Its hurricane-force winds extend 70 miles from the center of the eye, and its cloud field is four times the size of Ohio".

All very true. A large slow system can cause far more damage than a higher category small one that moves fast.
Along with the huge amount of rain that Florence will drop, there is also a major concern about the stom surge that will result whe she coes ashore. Storm surges are bigger killers than the actual wind and rain, and figures that we have heard at work mention a possible surge of up to 12 feet.

Jerseygirl Sep 13th 2018 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12562425)
Good luck to everyone living in the path or indirect path of hurricane Florence.

Stay safe as you all can . Here is to hoping there is little to no personal loss or damage for everyone & that the aftermath clean up is as quick and efficient as it can be.

I second that.

Good luck everyone, stay safe. :fingerscrossed:

tom169 Sep 14th 2018 2:01 am

Getting pretty down as I'm sitting here thinking about the family who decided to stay put in Wilmington rather than evacuate here. :(

Tillymin Sep 14th 2018 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12563032)
Getting pretty down as I'm sitting here thinking about the family who decided to stay put in Wilmington rather than evacuate here. :(

Have you been able to contact them today Tom?

tom169 Sep 15th 2018 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Tillymin (Post 12563308)

Have you been able to contact them today Tom?

Thankfully I have. Lost power at 5 am. Two trees down, both nearly hitting the house, with one nearly going through the bedroom. Thankfully everyone is ok.

mikelincs Sep 15th 2018 7:27 am

The BBC has been showing some pretty horrific pictures and saying that, although it has now been downgraded to a tropical storm it's moving so slowly, only about 3 mph, that it will still cause serious damage through flooding etc.Everyone please stay safe.

scrubbedexpat097 Sep 15th 2018 11:37 pm

Shout to all you guys in the Carolina's and surrounding areas. How is everyone and has our illusive friend Pulaski surfaced to check in?

petitefrancaise Sep 16th 2018 3:26 am

Just heard from Pulaski - he's fine.

yellowroom Sep 16th 2018 9:05 am

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12563630)

good news. Hope everyone else is managing to stay dry.

Rete Sep 16th 2018 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12563630)

Good to hear. I know that he has remained in touch with a few people on the forums.

WEBlue Sep 20th 2018 9:18 pm

According to the newspaper link below, flooding is still happening in North & South Carolina. Sections of major roads are impassable, so people are being asked NOT to travel almost anywhere. 11K homes are still without power. Those who evacuated are being warned to stay put & not try to return home. And there are worries about a health emergency from the flood waters themselves (both old & new)…. :(
https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2018...8181537457914/

Rete Sep 20th 2018 11:36 pm

I've been reading the very same thing. I've friends in Tennessee on the border with NC and a niece in Roanke. So far they are all good but are worried for their friends in the affected areas.

rbackhouse Sep 21st 2018 11:11 am

Originally Posted by WEBlue (Post 12565871)
According to the newspaper link below, flooding is still happening in North & South Carolina. Sections of major roads are impassable, so people are being asked NOT to travel almost anywhere. 11K homes are still without power. Those who evacuated are being warned to stay put & not try to return home. And there are worries about a health emergency from the flood waters themselves (both old & new)…. :(
https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2018...8181537457914/

That's a bit of an exaggeration to cover the whole of NC :) It's for South Eastern and South Central NC. A major issue is that part of I-95 is shutdown and also a section of I-40 close to Wilmington. Life went back to normal almost immediately here in central NC. It is going to be a long haul for the south eastern/central sections though :(