Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

HSBC international banking centre are awful

HSBC international banking centre are awful

Old Dec 12th 2007, 3:10 pm
Has finally moved to NY

soon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nice
Default HSBC international banking centre are awful

Been trying to set up our US account in advance using the HSBC international banking service that they officer. It was great in theory but they are awful at advising, different story every time. 'world's local bank' my arse!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HSBC international banking centre are awful

wait till you get here...you'll get used to it
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you moving to? HSBC doesn't have much of a presence in the US, I think the closest branch to me is about 400 miles away. If you don't know for sure that there are some close by you, it might be better waiting and signing up with a local bank.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by soon_to_Move
Been trying to set up our US account in advance using the HSBC international banking service that they officer. It was great in theory but they are awful at advising, different story every time. 'world's local bank' my arse!
Yes its all bollocks. HSBC is only on the east coast too. If you try like we did (because we have First Direct in the UK) to set up an account and be able to transfer money easily between them then forget it. I asked about being able to see both accounts at the same time for online banking. Just not possible, in reality they are totally separate organizations who share a name. No working relationship exists at all. And if you are on the West coast like we are.. then don't even bother. You would be better setting up an account in Azerbaijan.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britinsac
... And if you are on the West coast like we are.. then don't even bother. You would be better setting up an account in Azerbaijan.
probably get a better interest rate if you did
Old Dec 12th 2007, 6:11 pm
Has finally moved to NY

soon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nice

we're moving to NY and saw a few HSBC branches when we were looking for an apartment. We made a formal complaint this afternoon and been told we will now get personal attention to get our apllication through ASAP so our cards will be waiting for us to pick up when we roll up in January. I won't hold my breath!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud of

we're moving to NY and saw a few HSBC branches when we were looking for an apartment. We made a formal complaint this afternoon and been told we will now get personal attention to get our apllication through ASAP so our cards will be waiting for us to pick up when we roll up in January. I won't hold my breath!
Well let me know how you get on! I would love an easy way to transfer money online between uk bank account and us account. The only company I know of that does seem to be somewhat international is American Express which is great if you want a US credit card and you have a UK one.. they will just sort it out for you. But they are of course not a bank as such.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 7:06 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

What about doing this in reverse then? Can you open up a HSBC acct. here in the US and then, going on the strength of that, open one up in the UK? From here and/or over there?
Old Dec 13th 2007, 9:07 am
Has finally moved to NY

Natwest have a facility where you can have an international bank account which is used online and allows you to see your accounts that are in sterling and other currancies and you can transfer money between the two- perfect i thought! I spoke at length about this with them and you have to be earning lots of money to be able to use this facility. Not suprisingly we were turned away.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

sangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nice

I'm sorry to hear you had problems with HSBC.

We have set up our banking with HSBC and have found the service to be outstanding (this may be because we were able to get a Premier account (with no monthly charges) through our relo company).

We didn't have accounts with them before and they set up US and UK checking, savings and credit card accounts for us. All the info was fedex'd to Italy and we have been operating the US accounts online with no problem.

I haven't been into an actual bank branch for years so, personally, I don't see this as a problem. All fees for ATM use are refunded to our account.

We can wire money between the US and UK accounts free of charge, but I suspect the exchange rate wouldn't be great so I would continue to use XE using EFT and BACS so there are no charges.

I suspect we are luckier than many and it's possible we will discover problems with this arrangement when we arrive. If so, we'll just open another account with a bank or credit union that has local branches.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 10:10 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Yes its all bollocks. HSBC is only on the east coast too.
Coverage is patchy to say the least, but there are a few out west but would depend entirely on where you live (I heard the west was kinda big!):

http://www.banking.us.hsbc.com/HICSe...language=en-US
Old Dec 13th 2007, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Well let me know how you get on! I would love an easy way to transfer money online between uk bank account and us account. The only company I know of that does seem to be somewhat international is American Express which is great if you want a US credit card and you have a UK one.. they will just sort it out for you. But they are of course not a bank as such.
It really doesn't get much easier then XE - the only way its going to be easier is to have your UK and US accounts all under one bank and one login, but this is never going to happen.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Natwest have a facility where you can have an international bank account which is used online and allows you to see your accounts that are in sterling and other currancies and you can transfer money between the two- perfect i thought! I spoke at length about this with them and you have to be earning lots of money to be able to use this facility. Not suprisingly we were turned away.
Yeah us poor skint buggers who can't even afford to pay the bank charges. I have put my money into a new bank - Mattress Financial Services
Old Dec 13th 2007, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

sangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nice

Originally Posted by Longy
It really doesn't get much easier then XE - the only way its going to be easier is to have your UK and US accounts all under one bank and one login, but this is never going to happen.
That's exactly what we can do with HSBC Premier but, as I said above, XE will give better exchange rates, so it's a moot point anyway. I'll always take a better exchange rate over something that is slightly more convenient (but then I'm a tight git).