Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

how many brits......

how many brits......

Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:06 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how many brits......

I had a similar experience when I did my motorbike course one guy tried to take the piss but made a total arse of himself when I pointed out he was actually being quite profane. Especially when I pointed out that Churchill actually held his hand in the reverse position
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:20 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenster
I live in Amsterdam at the moment rather than the US, and I've been here 7 years. I don't get homesick as a rule anymore, but then I can get pretty much every food I might miss and can watch BBC1 and 2 if I want to.
You live in the UK's back garden!

I'm American, married to a Dutchman.... so I have an outsider's perspective of both the UK and the Netherlands, but I wouldn't choose to live in Holland if I could live in the UK instead.

What do you prefer about the Netherlands, or maybe more specifically A'dam?

Have you learned Dutch? I quake at having to pass the citizenship test.... I learn about a word a week, but that's while living in the US, and my husband is a very stern teacher!
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Have you learned Dutch? I quake at having to pass the citizenship test.... I learn about a word a week, but that's while living in the US, and my husband is a very stern teacher!
Somehow for the life of me I can't picture Toon being stern

A fella over on the Portugal forum came up with a great way to learn the language when he moved over to Portugal. He put stickies on everything in the house, with the Portuguese word for the object written on it.

Walls, windows, etc..etc...You might try that
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

and my husband is a very stern teacher!
bet you like toon being stern eh
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:43 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lionheart
The US is beautiful in many parts, I posted some pictures today just to remind me on another thread just what a great state California is.
Even after 20 years I still get annoyed by the majority of American's attitudes especially in the workplace.
Case in point I went into work on Saturday to work on a project with many people who I usually don't work with on a regular basis and was completely annoyed by the whole brown nosing, oneupmanship, attempt at scoring Brownie points' and general sucking up of most of my colleagues.
One guy asked me why the British had such a negative attitude, two other people spent a lot of the day imitating my accent to a point where I actually felt like physically assaulting them(I can take a joke but felt this was not meant in a complimentary manner).
One guy in particular who is new to the company and I have helped out with numerous procedures and on technical issues spent a lot of time trying to organize me in order to try and make himself look good, he was like a different person to the one I have become friendly with.
That is my biggest complaint, the whole 'fu ck other people while I promote myself' attitude that most Yanks seem to have. Really annoying, maybe it's just me.......................sorry to vent but Saturday was a complete wind up

Actually Tom this is one of the deciding factors in us moving back...both my wife and I have agreed neither of us could happily spend the next 30 years working in the US workplace.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:51 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Actually Tom this is one of the deciding factors in us moving back...both my wife and I have agreed neither of us could happily spend the next 30 years working in the US workplace.
Can't say I blame you. I'd like to add that I have a lot of time for Hispanics generally warm and genuine people, it's the majority of white WASP'y yanks that seem to have taken lessons in being phoney and duplicitous.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Jenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of light

Can I just ask why you stay if after 20 years you still call yourself a Brit and generally can't stand Americans?! Not a criticism just a comment...
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:33 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Heck *I* feel this way.... and it's the only way I know!

I did ask Toon last night if the workplace was better in Holland, and he said YES.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
LOL that's what I was thinking too. Gymslip, knee highs, cane.....
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:44 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by TruBrit
not in that way!

He is very very picky about everything being just right and he has a very pronounced accent and dialect that sound very different to the Dutch you hear from someone from Amsterdam, say. It's sort of like having a Bubba teach his non-English-speaking girlfriend English -- drawl-style.

For example:

square = vierkant (four side)
but
triangle = driehoek (three angle)

I was going for driekant (three side) and I liked geenkant (no side) for circle, but nooooo, it's cirkel.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

not in that way!

He is very very picky about everything being just right and he has a very pronounced accent and dialect that sound very different to the Dutch you hear from someone from Amsterdam, say. It's sort of like having a Bubba teach his non-English-speaking girlfriend English -- drawl-style.

For example:

square = vierkant (four side)
but
triangle = driehoek (three angle)

I was going for driekant (three side) and I liked geenkant (no side) for circle, but nooooo, it's cirkel.
Oh you naughty girl...you will have to stay behind to see teacher...3 lashings of the cane I think.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:59 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Oh you naughty girl...you will have to stay behind to see teacher...3 lashings of the cane I think.
All the words in Dutch look the same to me, may as well be Chinese!

I speak and read/write Spanish passably well. I am seriously undermotivated to learn Dutch.... then I'd have to talk to my mother-in-law!
Old Oct 10th 2006, 8:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I speak and read/write Spanish passably well. I am seriously undermotivated to learn Dutch.... then I'd have to talk to my mother-in-law!

My husband picked it up easily when he lived in Amsterdam for a year. He lived in Germany for several years...speaks fluent German so that helped him immensely.

Thank your lucky stars that she's approx. 4K miles away and not living with you.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

But then you can understand her jokes better! From what you've told us, it would be worth it for that alone..heehee... Plus, you two can speak about the kids without them knowing what you're saying
Old Oct 10th 2006, 8:07 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
The US is beautiful in many parts, I posted some pictures today just to remind me on another thread just what a great state California is.
Even after 20 years I still get annoyed by the majority of American's attitudes especially in the workplace.
Case in point I went into work on Saturday to work on a project with many people who I usually don't work with on a regular basis and was completely annoyed by the whole brown nosing, oneupmanship, attempt at scoring Brownie points' and general sucking up of most of my colleagues.
One guy asked me why the British had such a negative attitude, two other people spent a lot of the day imitating my accent to a point where I actually felt like physically assaulting them(I can take a joke but felt this was not meant in a complimentary manner).
One guy in particular who is new to the company and I have helped out with numerous procedures and on technical issues spent a lot of time trying to organize me in order to try and make himself look good, he was like a different person to the one I have become friendly with.
That is my biggest complaint, the whole 'fu ck other people while I promote myself' attitude that most Yanks seem to have. Really annoying, maybe it's just me.......................sorry to vent but Saturday was a complete wind up

You could have a good case for discrimination or racial abuse if they kept over doing your accent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.