Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How long will his mid-life crisis last ?

Wikiposts

How long will his mid-life crisis last ?

Old May 30th 2010, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How long will his mid-life crisis last ?

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
My husband got a bike about a year ago. He absolutely loves it and the fascination has grown if anything. Now he's making noises about his next bike. "Your next bike?!??! You only just got this one!"

Oh well.
If he's into it, get used to it - that would be my advice.

Mind you, I would say that as the container that will arrive at the end of July will have four bikes in it...
Old May 30th 2010, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
On Wednesday night when we got home from the ER the bike was getting sold the next day - he was really shaky and kept saying that if it had happened at 50 mph he would be a goner. Few days later he is feeling a bit better and thinks he will keep it.

Poor bugger didn't even make it our our development - waiting to turn on to main road he says he waited until nothing else was coming either direction but let out the clutch too quickly - the bike lurched forward and he grabbed the handle thereby giving it full throttle and went head first into the central reservation and toppled off. Of course he put out his arm to save himself hence the separated clavicle which I have to admit does seem to be quite painful.

Have the in-laws arriving on Tuesday for a month so this weekend was to be 'Operation Clean House' and he is of no use what so ever - the bollocking has officially begun...
My husband has two questions for you:

1) Did he take a riding class before climing on to learn how to ride safely?
2) Was he wearing protective gear?
Old May 30th 2010, 11:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Is amusing how you can just get a license and ride a 1000cc motor straight off the bat...but back in blighty you've got to learn on basically a lawn mower, and your stuck on what is it, under 125cc till you're 18 or something like that.
Old May 30th 2010, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
If he's into it, get used to it - that would be my advice.

Mind you, I would say that as the container that will arrive at the end of July will have four bikes in it...
I read your response to him and his eyes lit up. "What are his four bikes?" he asked.
Old May 30th 2010, 11:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Is amusing how you can just get a license and ride a 1000cc motor straight off the bat...but back in blighty you've got to learn on basically a lawn mower, and your stuck on what is it, under 125cc till you're 18 or something like that.
I know the answer to 1) is yes.
C-Babz husband went to a school just recently. He is also not a novice rider, I believe he rode some years back in the UK.

As for 2)...I would be surprised if he wasn't wearing protection
Old May 30th 2010, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I know the answer to 1) is yes.
C-Babz husband went to a school just recently. He is also not a novice rider, I believe he rode some years back in the UK.

As for 2)...I would be surprised if he wasn't wearing protection
That's good then!
Old May 30th 2010, 2:07 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

1) Yep - motorcycle training course 22/23rd May - Passed, Licence endorsed 25 May - Bike delivered 26 May - you know the rest. Hasn't been on a bike in 20+ years since he had a quick shot of a friends so I think maybe a few more lessons would have been a good idea.

2) Yep - $1000 worth of helmet, boots, gloves - didn't have his jacket on as it hasn't arrived yet but my only stipulation to this bike thing was he had to wear the right gear

He has been out to check the bike over and the foot break thing (highly technical) had snapped off at the bolts - one of the bolts top bit has sheared off so he has spent the best part of the day trying to get the bolt out with no success - now talking about drilling it out - I am staying well out of it !
Old May 31st 2010, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
125cc and less that 12bhp on a provisional license, 33bhp or less if you're under 21 or passed your test on a bike with less that 33bhp IIRC. Older gits like me could do the direct access test on a 50bhp bike and get the unlimited license straight away, but I still started fairly small.

I read your response to him and his eyes lit up. "What are his four bikes?" he asked.
1) 1981 BMW R100RS, fitted with very rare Krauser 4V cylinder heads
2) 1974 Laverda SF2
3) 1976 Morini 3 1/2 Sport
4) Morini Corsaro Supersport 125cc - one of guestimated 100 they made, one of three I know of (mine, one in Italy, one in Germany)

Yes, I have a weakness for odd rare stuff.

Last edited by TimNiceBut; May 31st 2010 at 4:47 am. Reason: Added another answer
Old May 31st 2010, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
1) Yep - motorcycle training course 22/23rd May - Passed, Licence endorsed 25 May - Bike delivered 26 May - you know the rest. Hasn't been on a bike in 20+ years since he had a quick shot of a friends so I think maybe a few more lessons would have been a good idea.

2) Yep - $1000 worth of helmet, boots, gloves - didn't have his jacket on as it hasn't arrived yet but my only stipulation to this bike thing was he had to wear the right gear

He has been out to check the bike over and the foot break thing (highly technical) had snapped off at the bolts - one of the bolts top bit has sheared off so he has spent the best part of the day trying to get the bolt out with no success - now talking about drilling it out - I am staying well out of it !
Good to hear that he's doing it right, though!! My husband winced noticebly when I read him what you said about the bike.

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
1) 1981 BMW R100RS, fitted with very rare Krauser 4V cylinder heads
2) 1974 Laverda SF2
3) 1976 Morini 3 1/2 Sport
4) Morini Corsaro Supersport 125cc - one of guestimated 100 they made, one of three I know of (mine, one in Italy, one in Germany)

Yes, I have a weakness for odd rare stuff.
I just read my OH this and he smiled and said "Well, that wasn't what I was expecting!" followed closely by "Did he post pictures?"
Old May 31st 2010, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Good to hear that he's doing it right, though!! My husband winced noticebly when I read him what you said about the bike.
Sounded like it - the only item I thought should be on the list and wasn't is a pair or armoured jeans or other armoured pants.

I just read my OH this and he smiled and said "Well, that wasn't what I was expecting!" followed closely by "Did he post pictures?"
The only one I"ve got a picture of is the Morini 3 1/2, the state it was in before a mate of mine repainted the bodywork:

Old May 31st 2010, 9:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So I take it none of you ride a bike like the locals around where I live, t-shirt, shorts and flip flops, without a helmet
Old May 31st 2010, 9:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
So I take it none of you ride a bike like the locals around where I live, t-shirt, shorts and flip flops, without a helmet
No way But there are plenty of them that do that around here. Makes me cringe to think what would happen if they came off.
Old May 31st 2010, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
Definitely not.
Old May 31st 2010, 1:59 pm
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

I feel sorry for the bike, to be in the hands of a novice and trashed while barely out of the box. I have seen this way too many times and I still laugh at it every time [I'm glad he's "only" hurt though]

He needs to sell it, as with his clavicle and inexperience, he will not be a confident and safe driver for a long while yet. Or failing that, put the bike in storage until he has had another lesson or 20 at least.

I agree with the organ donors who ride in no gear, for me and the wife when she rides pillion, it's mandatory, regardless of the weather. I feel sorry for the dumb teen girls on the back of the bikes driven by pimply teens with too much testosterone and not enough sense who feel they have something to prove.

For the record, my machine of choice is a Yamaha R6.
Old May 31st 2010, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Michelmas
I feel sorry for the bike, to be in the hands of a novice and trashed while barely out of the box. I have seen this way too many times and I still laugh at it every time [I'm glad he's "only" hurt though]

He needs to sell it, as with his clavicle and inexperience, he will not be a confident and safe driver for a long while yet. Or failing that, put the bike in storage until he has had another lesson or 20 at least.

I agree with the organ donors who ride in no gear, for me and the wife when she rides pillion, it's mandatory, regardless of the weather. I feel sorry for the dumb teen girls on the back of the bikes driven by pimply teens with too much testosterone and not enough sense who feel they have something to prove.

For the record, my machine of choice is a Yamaha R6.

Just a tad pompous, eh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.