Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How do you respond to "how are you?"

How do you respond to "how are you?"

Old Apr 13th 2014, 8:25 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do you respond to "how are you?"

Do you say 'fine thanks, how are you?' Or ignore him/her presuming that it is insincere?
I am somewhat amazed by the number of people who seem to be offended by that simple question.
While it is true the inquirer does not want your life story or any real depth, it is nearly always well meaning. Sort of like a societal lubricant.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 9:15 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you respond to "how are you?"

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Do you say 'fine thanks, how are you?' Or ignore him/her presuming that it is insincere?
I am somewhat amazed by the number of people who seem to be offended by that simple question.
While it is true the inquirer does not want your life story or any real depth, it is nearly always well meaning. Sort of like a societal lubricant.

Launch into a long, detailed list of current ailments, concerns, future plans and views of the world in general. Continue until they try to run away. Then continue to continue as their will to live slowly drains.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 9:19 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Launch into a long, detailed list of current ailments, concerns, future plans and views of the world in general. Continue until they try to run away. Then continue to continue as their will to live slowly drains.
I think you underestimate our ability to absorb your woe while STILL offering encouragement.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 10:18 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

'Not too bad thanks, yourself?'

It's almost automatic now, which is alarming after only six months. Indeed, I find myself asking this question as I pass people now too - which I hate. I do think it insincere, but still respond.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 11:17 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
'Not too bad thanks, yourself?'

It's almost automatic now, which is alarming after only six months. Indeed, I find myself asking this question as I pass people now too - which I hate. I do think it insincere, but still respond.
This, more or less.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 11:42 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I usually find myself saying, with somewhat-false enthusiasm, "Good, thanks! How bout you?" I don't mind the question at all, and sometimes I get a longer answer from the original questioner than I expected, which is interesting.

This is not really that different from the common British greeting of "Yawright?" or "Alright?" The difference is that not every single cashier and staff-person over in Blighty asks "Yawright?" with the same (appearance of) strong personal interest with which Americans seem to feel they should ask, "How are you today?"....

Last edited by WEBlue; Apr 13th 2014 at 1:29 pm. Reason: clarity
Old Apr 13th 2014, 11:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I say fine, or good, or okay, depending on my mood. I know the person asking if they are in a customer service role really doesn't care, and is only do it because they have to.

I say it daily at work, but reality is, I don't really care, its just a requirement of the job to ask how the customer is doing.

Its generally awkward when someone starts into some detailed diatribe about how they are, as its not the normal answer and catches me off guard.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I asked one of my US colleagues this about a week after 9/11 (THAT 9/!!) and had to listen to a five minute tirade about how everyone hated Yanks.

It is a formulaic question and invites a formulaic answer
Old Apr 13th 2014, 1:09 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I usually just say I'm fine thanks, with maybe a "and how about you?" lobbed onto the end, depending on who is asking and whether I just want to get on with things. In the Bahamas, the greeting (and response) was, "What is is?" and "Right 'ere", which makes no sense at all.

Here in Scotland, I see "Hiya" (a comon greeting) as being a shortening of "How are you", except it's recognised that you are not actually asking a question (so the reply is also "Hiya").

It does feel a bit weird now I have left the US, when I visit to be faced with a perky "HI!! How're y'all doin' today????", but to be honest I can not work myself up to be offended by someone who, when it comes down to it is either (a) just being polite and friendly, or (b) is doing what their boss has told them they have to do if they want to keep their $10/hour job. Getting pissed off at someone in this situation just seems churlish to me.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I am of that age and location where a friendly greeting has a mandatory remark about the weather - usually referring to one of the 47 different kinds of rain we experience here.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I usually always respond with a "Good! How are you?" I may not be good, but it's one of those questions that people ask that are insincere in a way. They really don't want to know how you are, it's almost like saying "hello"
Old Apr 13th 2014, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

"Surviving."

Old Apr 13th 2014, 4:14 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't just an american thing.

"How do you do?" asks the exact same question, in slightly outdated English.

As does "Ca va?" or "Comment allez vous?"

Equally, the somewhat, to me, annoying "have a nice day" is mirrored in "good day to you" (also outdated} and the not outdated "bonjour" or "buenos dias".

In all cases, nobody wants a real answer.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 4:18 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

"The Lakers did badly this season. And you?"

Personally, I agree that it is usually a null question and a null answer will suffice.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 4:20 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I notice in England it seems easier and more natural to say "morning!" in greeting than "afternoon!" so the morning seems to be stretched out till about 2:30pm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.