Homework Help

Old Nov 13th 2014, 2:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homework Help

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
The answer is -6a + 6 (not -6a x 6)
I know, I just typed the wrong operator. WGAF?
Old Nov 13th 2014, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Oooops. You're right.

d/dx(2x³) = 6x²
Here's the mathematical proof:

Differentiation is rate of change, which is basically the slope at a certain point in a graph. A straight line always has the same slope at any point on the line. However, not all graphs are straight lines in which case the slope is dependent on where you are on the graph. The slope at any point would be the slope of a tangent to the point.

Consider 2 points on the non-linear graph y=2x³:

(x, 2x³) and a point nearby (x+h, 2(x+h)³).

The slope of a straight line between the 2 points is the difference in y (delta y) divided by the difference in x (delta x)

delta y = 2(x+h)³ - 2x³ = 2x³ + 6x²h + 6xh² + 2h³ - 2x³ = 6x²h + 6xh² + 2h³

delta x = (x+h) - x = x + h - x = h

dividing delta y (=6x²h + 6xh² + 2h³) by delta x (=h) gives us the slope:

6x² + 6xh + 2h²

Now as h approaches 0 (i.e. the distance between the 2 points gets very small) you get closer to the real tangential slope at the point x.

So h=0, means that our tangential slope at the point x is:
6x² + 6xh + 2h² = 6x² + 6x(0) + 2(0)² = 6x²

Q.E.D.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 3:04 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I know, I just typed the wrong operator. WGAF?
You should be excluded from pedant of the year for this post.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 3:39 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
You should be excluded from pedant of the year for this post.
It was from ages ago. You have to get in right away, otherwise there's no point.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter has been asking for help with her reading comprehension homework. Some of the questions are so vague you can't tell what they are asking for, others seem to ask for information that isn't in the given text. In all cases, she barely has space to write the answers. She is always frustrated by it. It seems to be an exercise in how to deal with complete nonsense - a skill required in most workplaces today.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 4:17 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It was from ages ago. You have to get in right away, otherwise there's no point.
No. It was from 9:22 today. I don't mean for the original error, but for the response to the error; for the WGAF. That is behaviour not becoming of a pedant.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 4:24 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
No. It was from 9:22 today. I don't mean for the original error, but for the response to the error; for the WGAF. That is behaviour not becoming of a pedant.
Meh.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Here's the mathematical proof:

Differentiation is rate of change, which is basically the slope at a certain point in a graph. A straight line always has the same slope at any point on the line. However, not all graphs are straight lines in which case the slope is dependent on where you are on the graph. The slope at any point would be the slope of a tangent to the point.

Consider 2 points on the non-linear graph y=2x³:
Q.E.D.

WTF, multiply by the index, and drop it one down.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
WTF, multiply by the index, and drop it one down.
Yes, but someone had to prove that rule first! That was done using limits as in the proof I posted. Unfortunately homework help didn't end for me at high school. I'm a physicist, mathematician and computer scientist. So I still get homework help calls from my kids at college.