Homework Help

Old Oct 12th 2014, 3:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homework Help

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I'm not sure if its common core or not, but when ours are taught Long Division, they do it by the Big 7 method which is the biggest load of cack I've ever seen. My eldest could already do long division, then they insisted on him doing it the Big 7 way and thoroughly confused him, to the point he was struggling to do it the "old" way...when queried what the ultimate objective was, the teacher said it was to get to the traditional method of long division, but to get there through the Big 7 method so "they understand the journey" aaaggggghhhhh!!
I'm not sure if that is common core math but the objective of common core math is to teach kids why math works instead of just memorizing rules. From my understanding, once the core for division is taught, it is never used again so unless the child changes schools in the middle of the year, there shouldn't be a problem even if it is taught differently between schools.

By the end of the class, your eldest should be doing long division just like he always had.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 3:55 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I'm not sure if that is common core math but the objective of common core math is to teach kids why math works instead of just memorizing rules. From my understanding, once the core for division is taught, it is never used again so unless the child changes schools in the middle of the year, there shouldn't be a problem even if it is taught differently between schools.

By the end of the class, your eldest should be doing long division just like he always had.
As with most other things taught at school, the smart ones will get it whichever way it is taught, the dumb ones will never get it, but the great bulk of those in the middle will just get confused if some "trendy" teaching method is used. It took my sister several years to recover from being taught "ITA English".
Old Oct 12th 2014, 4:04 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Seriously? Of course you do. ...... Consult your friends on BE.
How are you at geometry? My high school freshman son has been put in a rather high-speed geometry class. He's having to actually work for the first time, and it's way beyond what I can help him with. He has to do endless strings of vast proofs at the moment.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 4:16 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

These new teaching methods, which I have not seen being taught, (despite seeing lots of common core compliant math classes) seem to cover all the short cuts that I had to learn on my own to speed calculations in my head. It might have been nice if someone had introduced me to them, rather than my own hit and miss way of getting there. Some people never work them out on their own and struggle.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 4:17 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe this should be in Nutek's thread?

Old Oct 12th 2014, 5:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
How are you at geometry? My high school freshman son has been put in a rather high-speed geometry class. He's having to actually work for the first time, and it's way beyond what I can help him with. He has to do endless strings of vast proofs at the moment.
That was my biggest issue as a high school student, my parents could not help me with the math as they did not know it, and I didn't understand it, the teacher didn't have time to sit one on one and teach it, so all around it was a total waste of my time, certainly did not learn anything in 4 years of HS math.

Luckily I had nice teachers who just passed me from feeling sorry. I did turn in my homework each and everyday despite every answer being wrong which I think showed I was trying, I was just clueless.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 6:10 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael

The problem I had was that he knew how to do it before the beginning of the class. He had already reached the end objective. He understood what he was doing and why he was doing it. There was absolutely no benefit at all in taking him back to the starting point, coming back a different route, then telling him to forget the different route and go the way he always had. That always had the very real potential to end in confusion with absolutely zero benefit. If he was higher up the grade structure, there would be the opportunity to "test out" and avoid the bollocks, but that isn't an option lower down.

Division is only one aspect of the Singapore math method...the whole way they teach math from 2nd to 5th grade ( at least) is different. The kids that change schools anywhere in that range have a lot of "catch up" to do, to the point that most of them are offered after school tuition to get "converted". In a rapidly growing school district, with rezoning every couple of years, there are quite a few kids getting caught in that trap......
Old Oct 12th 2014, 6:11 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

As with most other things taught at school, the smart ones will get it whichever way it is taught, the dumb ones will never get it, but the great bulk of those in the middle will just get confused if some "trendy" teaching method is used. It took my sister several years to recover from being taught "ITA English".
But once they have it, stop!
Old Oct 12th 2014, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I was in the 'top set' for maths at school, which was ridiculous, I never even had a clue how to use the slide rule and log tables. In order to start a PGCE, in later life I did maths GCSE at evening classes. The teacher took us through everything in a very straightforward way and I found it simple and even enjoyable.

Of course the level was not very high and we didn't have to do the endless sheets of algebra/ geometry/calculus problems that they do in the US as they have to keep going till 18 and beyond in college.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Oct 12th 2014 at 6:35 am.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 11:12 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

How are you at geometry? ......
Not sure, the stuff that Nicky posted at the start of this thread came right back, just like I did it yesterday. Advanced trigonometry I hated, and never really understood - the sort of 2CosX° =1/ ..... stuff, so if you mean those theoretical trigonometry proofs then, sorry, I am hopeless.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 11:24 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

What do the Q's look like?
Old Oct 12th 2014, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem I had was that he knew how to do it before the beginning of the class. He had already reached the end objective. He understood what he was doing and why he was doing it. There was absolutely no benefit at all in taking him back to the starting point, coming back a different route, then telling him to forget the different route and go the way he always had. That always had the very real potential to end in confusion with absolutely zero benefit. If he was higher up the grade structure, there would be the opportunity to "test out" and avoid the bollocks, but that isn't an option lower down.

Division is only one aspect of the Singapore math method...the whole way they teach math from 2nd to 5th grade ( at least) is different. The kids that change schools anywhere in that range have a lot of "catch up" to do, to the point that most of them are offered after school tuition to get "converted". In a rapidly growing school district, with rezoning every couple of years, there are quite a few kids getting caught in that trap......
This is our situation also. My son already understood the standard way and the new methods just add unnecessary steps. I actually think kids with a 'math brain' will be impacted negatively, more than those that do not. The new methods are perhaps better for those that find math difficult and need to break down the questions a bit more...
Old Oct 12th 2014, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Bnet36
This is our situation also. My son already understood the standard way and the new methods just add unnecessary steps. I actually think kids with a 'math brain' will be impacted negatively, more than those that do not. The new methods are perhaps better for those that find math difficult and need to break down the questions a bit more...
I think you are right. With my eldest, it was very much teaching to the lowest common denominator. By the time my second one came through, his teacher was very good at streaming the class into those that needed more help and those that needed less.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 1:23 pm

Not sure, the stuff that Nicky posted at the start of this thread came right back, just like I did it yesterday. Advanced trigonometry I hated, and never really understood - the sort of 2CosX° =1/ ..... stuff, so if you mean those theoretical trigonometry proofs then, sorry, I am hopeless.
I'm dreading getting into the Tins of Apricots, Smell of Horses area........
Old Oct 12th 2014, 2:02 pm

I'm dreading getting into the Tins of Apricots, Smell of Horses area........
As best I can tell that's algebra, not trig.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.