Homework Help

Old Oct 10th 2014, 10:14 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homework Help

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Thank you.
You are officially smarter than a 5th grader
Old Oct 10th 2014, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Where we are, they've gone to using the NY Engage common core system in the district.

It's open source content, online, so no books. They print the stuff out and photocopy the hand out sheets and they're so poor in quality that you can't see half the stuff.

She's only in first grade and really been put off maths since she started school, when she was quite interested before hand. It seems this and another, Oz system were the two out of three contenders that fitted the budget, but this was "free", so they're spending loads on printing shit out and having kids not understand it rather than the other system that was far more engaging, colourful and visually helpful where this one requires the kids to be able to read quite a lot and a lot of the kids are only just start to read properly.
That's what they started this year in the district I work in. It's overly complicated just to do simple addition.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I've been watching these shows on channel 4 (love them) Anyway, at the very beginning of the video it's what the blonde girl says, you really need to turn up the volume though.

Old Oct 10th 2014, 11:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Well if I had kids they would be screwed...... I'd certainly have no clue what to do.
Seriously? Of course you do. ...... Consult your friends on BE.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 11:32 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
That's what they started this year in the district I work in. It's overly complicated just to do simple addition.
Have you seen the Singapore Math?

Our school district went to this system because Singapore ranks way up there among the best in the world at maths. What they forgot though was that Singaporean kids have even more pressure, even less spare time, no time to do sports or socialize or whatever - their lives totally revolve around academic achievement. I could wear the same trainers as Hussain Bolt, but he's still gonna beat me every time...
Old Oct 10th 2014, 11:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
What makes it worse, they only decided in June, so the teachers haven't had long to figure it out and they're still training in it and supposedly having a final push later in the month.

Target goal is being able to get through and teach 50-70% of the first years content...so that's leaving a lot of content not taught before they get to second grade or whatever the kids are in
Old Oct 11th 2014, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
What makes it worse, they only decided in June, so the teachers haven't had long to figure it out and they're still training in it and supposedly having a final push later in the month.

Target goal is being able to get through and teach 50-70% of the first years content...so that's leaving a lot of content not taught before they get to second grade or whatever the kids are in
It's the most confusing stuff I've ever seen...
Old Oct 11th 2014, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Have you seen the Singapore Math?

Our school district went to this system because Singapore ranks way up there among the best in the world at maths. What they forgot though was that Singaporean kids have even more pressure, even less spare time, no time to do sports or socialize or whatever - their lives totally revolve around academic achievement. I could wear the same trainers as Hussain Bolt, but he's still gonna beat me every time...
No, I have not. But I was really excited that we were going to get some new math curriculum, I thought anything would be better than what we were currently using (Number Worlds), I was wrong.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 1:23 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

This one is near me.

Old Oct 12th 2014, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
She's only in first grade and really been put off maths since she started school, when she was quite interested before hand. It seems this and another, Oz system were the two out of three contenders that fitted the budget, but this was "free", so they're spending loads on printing shit out and having kids not understand it rather than the other system that was far more engaging, colourful and visually helpful where this one requires the kids to be able to read quite a lot and a lot of the kids are only just start to read properly.
I'm also concerned that my 4th grader who is a math wiz will be put off by the methods introduced based on the common core standards. What's worse is the parents cannot provide that additional support because we have never gone through this type of learning. For my son he learnt addition, subtraction and multiplication the normal way and now division is a long winded mess. Can't wait to see what the tests look like.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 2:39 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bnet36
I'm also concerned that my 4th grader who is a math wiz will be put off by the methods introduced based on the common core standards. What's worse is the parents cannot provide that additional support because we have never gone through this type of learning. For my son he learnt addition, subtraction and multiplication the normal way and now division is a long winded mess. Can't wait to see what the tests look like.
I'm not sure if its common core or not, but when ours are taught Long Division, they do it by the Big 7 method which is the biggest load of cack I've ever seen. My eldest could already do long division, then they insisted on him doing it the Big 7 way and thoroughly confused him, to the point he was struggling to do it the "old" way...when queried what the ultimate objective was, the teacher said it was to get to the traditional method of long division, but to get there through the Big 7 method so "they understand the journey" aaaggggghhhhh!!
Old Oct 12th 2014, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Hrmm. The Common Core is a set of standards; it doesn't dictate how specific concepts or tools are to be taught, just when.

For what it's worth, as an educator, I think the actual standards are very mild and sensible. HOWEVER. I interviewed for a job implementing the math CCSS in upper high school and that is the only time I've ever withdrawn from a search immediately after interview. I know how much of a hot potato this was politically and that the roll-out would make it or break it. If the example I've seen of the people who will be delivering materials and professional development to teachers is in any way representative, all I can say is... errr... everyone here has another passport, right?

Old Oct 12th 2014, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by retzie
Hrmm. The Common Core is a set of standards; it doesn't dictate how specific concepts or tools are to be taught, just when.
I don't think it would be possible/realistic to set a common method of how to teach something across the whole country, state or even county. We don't even have much commonality on teaching methods between schools within the same school district. My kids campus (plus a couple of others) were "trialling" the Singapore Method for the district a few years ago - their campus is still on it, but few of the others have followed, so my friends kids at the next school over are on a totally different set of methods. I suppose it doesn't really matter as long as the message gets through...
Old Oct 12th 2014, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I suppose it doesn't really matter as long as the message gets through...
... except it sounds like they're too busy faffing around with choosing a method and not bothering to teach any of them properly.

I feel bad for the teachers who get stuck in these impossible situations.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by retzie
... except it sounds like they're too busy faffing around with choosing a method and not bothering to teach any of them properly.

I feel bad for the teachers who get stuck in these impossible situations.
Indeed. We've been at the elementary since it opened 9 years ago, and I do a lot of volunteering there, so know some of the staff quite well - some of the "old timers" are tearing their hair out. The thing is, the school always turns in "top of class" results in all the standard measures, but even some of the teachers admit that they wouldn't be doing so well in an area where the parents were less involved......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.