Homework Help

Old Oct 10th 2014, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homework Help

Originally Posted by N1cky
The websites are good, I must be old fashioned, as I still like a book to look at. I find it ridiculous that if the kids miss a day of school, or don't absorb something in class, they have nothing to come home and look at when they're doing their homework. It ends up feeling like my homework, while I go Google things and find solutions, rather than just saying bring your book and working through the lesson again.
From middle school/ 7th grade on, my son's been given two sets of books for each subject - one to keep at school, and the other to have at home for homework. They're huge inch+ thick things, so he wouldn't want to be carrying them around.

Whilst I think this is great from the 'let's go through the lesson in the book again and see where you're going awry', I do worry about the colossal sunk cost of all those books, and the certain permafrost reluctance to replace them with something better/ more up to date. It doesn't matter overmuch with maths, but some of the English comprehension pieces are now looking quaintly dated, but when science books are well over a decade old...

If someone has a kid who regularly needs an explanation top-up to what's been taught, or needs it explained in a more visual way, perhaps try this virtual schooling site: https://www.time4learning.com

I used it to homeschool my son, then aged 11, when we moved from Switzerland to here and he needed to gap a fill a ton of maths and English stuff (he'd been in a French-speaking school for 4 years). I was really impressed by the little animated video lessons, and how it checks for understanding at each stage, so the kid can either have X explained again/ in a different way, or whizz ahead. It's pretty reasonable at $20 a month, and can be cancelled at any time.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Replace the parentheses with "x"

3(-2a) = 3 x-2a = -6a

(12)(3)(-a) = 12 x 3 x -a = -36a

(2)(-y)(5) = 2 x -y x 5 = -10y

Note "-'s " must be included in the calculation ..... if there is only one, the answer is negative, two cancel each other out, as do four and six. Any odd number of negatives has an overall negative product.

That only works with very simple expressions when everything is assumed to be multipliers but won't work with more complex expressions since the parentheses also groups. That won't work with the following example.

3(-2a+2) = -6a +6 but when changed to 3 * -2a + 2, that equals -6a +2.

Last edited by Michael; Oct 10th 2014 at 4:48 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 4:47 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
That only works with very simple expressions and won't work with more complex expressions since the parentheses also groups. That won't work with the following example.

It still works with more complex expressions, one just has to add steps as necessary, thus:

3(-2a+2)
= 3(-2a) + 3(2)
= -6a x 6

Old Oct 10th 2014, 4:55 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It still works with more complex expressions, one just has to add steps as necessary, thus:

3(-2a+2)
= 3(-2a) + 3(2)
= -6a x 6

Wish I had a quarter for every time I said "it multiplies everything inside the bracket" to my son last week....
Old Oct 10th 2014, 4:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
That only works with very simple expressions and won't work with more complex expressions since the parentheses also groups. That won't work with the following example.

That is correct, but none of the examples were that complex. ..... So to complete the maths lesson, take the number outside the parentheses and multiply it by each number inside the parentheses, then add them together. So x(a+2b) = ax+2bx

The next step is two numbers in two pairs of parentheses: (a+b)(x+y) = ax +ay +bx+by

If the same letter appears in both brackets some simplification is going to be required: (a + 2b)(a - 3b) =a² -3ab + 2ab - 6b² = a²-ab-6b² i.e. the-3ab and the +2ab have been aggregated.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 4:56 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Wish I had a quarter for every time I said "it multiplies everything inside the bracket" to my son last week....
That sounds like the maths version of Silence of the Lambs, there
Old Oct 10th 2014, 5:49 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I'll second Khan Academy. All 3 of mine use it, 4th, 6th and 8th grade. Lot of good stuff on there.
Yeah they use Khan Academy at my kids school, she goes to school with one of the kids of the guy who created it. He keeps going into the school to do extra stuff with them.

Originally Posted by kodokan
From middle school/ 7th grade on, my son's been given two sets of books for each subject - one to keep at school, and the other to have at home for homework. They're huge inch+ thick things, so he wouldn't want to be carrying them around.

Whilst I think this is great from the 'let's go through the lesson in the book again and see where you're going awry', I do worry about the colossal sunk cost of all those books, and the certain permafrost reluctance to replace them with something better/ more up to date. It doesn't matter overmuch with maths, but some of the English comprehension pieces are now looking quaintly dated, but when science books are well over a decade old...

If someone has a kid who regularly needs an explanation top-up to what's been taught, or needs it explained in a more visual way, perhaps try this virtual schooling site: https://www.time4learning.com

Yeah we have the two set of text book thing too, it makes life a lot easier. Problem this year is they aren't working from a textbook in maths.
Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

3(-2a+2)
= 3(-2a) + 3(2)
= -6a x 6

I hate maths. Anyone want to sign up to be my kids online homework helper. She'll probably listen more to any of you lot than she does me.

Anyhow, once she knew what to do with the letters, she whizzed through the work
Old Oct 10th 2014, 6:09 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 10th 2014, 6:12 pm
I have a comma problem

It's also 5 cm. Good old 3-4-5 triangle ...
Old Oct 10th 2014, 6:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The other thing that ticks me off is that a lot of their homework is on photocopied sheets (presumably that's not breaching copyright because they have bought an online subscription?) which are of such lousy quality that its sometimes hard to see things such as minus signs, or to differentiate between a "plus" sign and a "divided by" sign....
Where we are, they've gone to using the NY Engage common core system in the district.

It's open source content, online, so no books. They print the stuff out and photocopy the hand out sheets and they're so poor in quality that you can't see half the stuff.

She's only in first grade and really been put off maths since she started school, when she was quite interested before hand. It seems this and another, Oz system were the two out of three contenders that fitted the budget, but this was "free", so they're spending loads on printing shit out and having kids not understand it rather than the other system that was far more engaging, colourful and visually helpful where this one requires the kids to be able to read quite a lot and a lot of the kids are only just start to read properly.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

When I went to high school in the late 1950s, mimeographs were used to copy papers and the quality was always very poor. With preparation and copying, that took about 10 minutes to copy a page.
Attached Thumbnails Homework Help-1052px-mimeograph.svg.png  
Old Oct 10th 2014, 7:18 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

A little bit tougher than a 3-4-5 triangle....
Old Oct 10th 2014, 7:37 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Well, let's be honest, overcooked pasta is tougher than a 3-4-5 triangle
Old Oct 10th 2014, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

For Nutek, is .

Old Oct 10th 2014, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Well if I had kids they would be screwed...... I'd certainly have no clue what to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.