Hola Unblocker

Old Feb 10th 2013, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hola Unblocker

Thought i'd share this thing a friend sent me today.

I assume Hola unblocker is basically a VPN but its very little hassle and has worked great so far. I watched the rugby and the football league show on it this morning and it works for sky go too.

I'll not use Chrome all the time but when theres something I want I'll use it.

If you've got Chrome, just go to https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...fbnlmeio?hl=en and add it and you'll be good to go.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 11:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hola Unblocker

Someone posted about this last week.

It's good, it's not a VPN, it's P2P based, so it's not anonymous and you don't know who you're connecting your traffic with, but I think only the sites they unblock go through the system rather than all web traffic.

Still, would want to disable this as soon as you're done and not do any banking or other sensitive stuff while using this.

Does work well, had the odd hitch in the first game yesterday though, but over all, less buffering than the other free options like expat shield and tunnel bear.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 11:19 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Someone posted about this last week.

It's good, it's not a VPN, it's P2P based, so it's not anonymous and you don't know who you're connecting your traffic with, but I think only the sites they unblock go through the system rather than all web traffic.

Still, would want to disable this as soon as you're done and not do any banking or other sensitive stuff while using this.

Does work well, had the odd hitch in the first game yesterday though, but over all, less buffering than the other free options like expat shield and tunnel bear.

So when you say "not anonymous", what exactly do you mean? Presumably ISP is hidden, or you couldn't connect to BBC etc? Or not? Please speak slowly and use short words..... Not a techie.

I wouldn't do banking with it open, but do I need to close email? Do "they" actually see my computer? Or what?
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
So when you say "not anonymous", what exactly do you mean? Presumably ISP is hidden, or you couldn't connect to BBC etc? Or not? Please speak slowly and use short words..... Not a techie.

I wouldn't do banking with it open, but do I need to close email? Do "they" actually see my computer? Or what?
When you use a VPN, what you connect to won't see you personally connecting to it. IP/trafficwise.

Using this, they may be able to.

You'll still ping to the beeb site via a UK exit point, or whatever site you want unblocked, but that's not to say that the P2P connections you're making aren't able to see your traffic.

The chrome, or FF plugin only affect the traffic inside that browser, not your entire network traffic, so your email program won't be affected.

One possible idea if things are a concern would be to enable plugins to run in incognito mode and then go to iplayer site or what not in that.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

I've got this added on to Chrome but I use firefox for every day use. Hopefully that means I'll be OK with it
Old Feb 12th 2013, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

chayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond repute

I use FF just for Hola and have all settings on there to clear all history, cookies etc. Anything else is on chrome, I feel a bit safer that way, not sure if it helps in reality but I feel better.................
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Hola BBC and ITV is not working for me today.
Behavior is pretty much the same as if it were not turned on or not installed.
It has not been a problem in the past.

Is this just my setup or is everyone impacted?
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

bilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to behold

Wasn't working for me friday, finally thought that the BBC people had decided to close that loophole, but after closing down the PC last night and restarting this morning, everythings okay.....just watched 2 episodes of Homes under the hammer...( my guilty secret )

I use it on Chrome.......

I did google to see if there were any issues reported, but nothing in particular came up..

sorry I cant offer any other help

A
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently I'm not alone, lots of other folks with hola.org problems this morning.
See
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA8XuR67msw

Also it seems to start working for some people, but they are not sure what random they did to get it going. A simple reboot, cache clear and msconfig delete of bbc from the STARTUP tab is not it.

I expect someone will find a fix in due course.

Now it is working again, after lots of complaints on the Youtube page (above). I suspect we have a new "Battle of the Beams" going on between hulu and content providers. Perhaps a DNS war.

Last edited by holly_1948; Feb 23rd 2013 at 7:13 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

They also have FB page which I always check when things don't seem to be working correctly. https://www.facebook.com/HolaBetterInternet?fref=ts

Last edited by fulwood; Feb 25th 2013 at 2:45 am.