HMRC

Old Dec 22nd 2015, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Moonsquirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HMRC

Hello,

Hmrc have kindly issued me with a cheque for a tax refund, despite asking for it to be paid in electronically to my account.

They've wrote it to my maiden name, in GBPs, with my US address listed on the cheque.

Bank of America say they can't cash foreign cheques of under $200.

Should I post this to my sister, and see if she can pay it into my UK bank. Or battle with HMRC to pay electronically. Or is there anything else I can do?

Thanks, and happy holidays!
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 10:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HMRC

If it has your name on it, it can be deposited into your UK account, by your sister, or indeed anyone else. Or you could mail it directly. Only you could cash it.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Moonsquirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. And you may be able to help solve a mystery... I completed my p85, used an online calculator and it showed around £5k due back, happy days. Then £6k showed up in my bank account from HMRC, no letter, no explanation. Then they send me a cheque for £60, with a p800 explanation letter showing £60 owed. Any ideas what the dickens is going on? Worried the £6k was an error that will come back to bite me!
Old Dec 24th 2015, 5:20 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Mail it back and ask to be paid in real Canadian currency like maple syrup and Barenaked Ladies CDs