Highland games?

Old Sep 24th 2006, 9:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Highland games?

So went to the highland games over the weekend in New Hampshire, some sort of masters thing...anyway, only reason being that a cousin in law competes as an amateur and won the maine highland games event a month or so ago and ranked 89 th in the country apparently...yeah, even he admits it is a bit mad over here.

So has anyone gone to anything like that before? What about in the UK? Hardly a big thing over there I thought, but seems quite massive over here...though was amused to see the "pro's" being from iceland and holland
Old Sep 24th 2006, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Highland games?

Originally Posted by Bob
So went to the highland games over the weekend in New Hampshire, some sort of masters thing...anyway, only reason being that a cousin in law competes as an amateur and won the maine highland games event a month or so ago and ranked 89 th in the country apparently...yeah, even he admits it is a bit mad over here.

So has anyone gone to anything like that before? What about in the UK? Hardly a big thing over there I thought, but seems quite massive over here...though was amused to see the "pro's" being from iceland and holland
Heard about them but never been. Pointless reply really.....
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

So wheres the photos of big strong Men in Kilts PLEASE
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Like we said before..... and throwing the big logs

It was very big in Atlanta when we lived there............a friend of mine's husbands dad is a retired pro....used to travel all over USA to take part

Last edited by Tbag; Sep 24th 2006 at 10:12 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:11 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Yes, I went to a big one in Alexandria, VA. I wore my Glasgow Celtic shirt just to be authentic, the real Scots new the score, the plastic Scots (Americans) thought I was Irish.
There was a load of people down there who had set up tents with clan names on them, as soon as they heard my accent they would start telling me what clan they were in. I had my little fun by asking them all how many times they had been to Scotland, in a very polite manner of course.
It was a good day out though, there was more pipers there than I had seen back home.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

weren't any photo's, it rained like a son-of-a-whats-it...were a few in skirts though, and some plonkers in tracksuits...very impressive beer guts indeed

the piper type bands were kind of amusing, but no military regiments giving any display except some old period group doing a bit of a dad's army thing

Some amusing stores though in the area selling all kinds of scottish crap, well most of it was just crap, some actually had nice woollen knit wear and the like, and there was a cracking bakery, owner randomly from Lancs, so had all these Brit pastries, lovely stuff...and then some random army type stand with all these scottish regiment badges and stuff, and tucked in the corner, Welsh Guards, and even more random, Royal Gurkka Rifle Regiment *lol*
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rodney you plonker
I had my little fun by asking them all how many times they had been to Scotland, in a very polite manner of course.
It was a good day out though, there was more pipers there than I had seen back home.
I love doing that too ............
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Tbag
Like we said before..... and throwing the big logs
They don't throw logs anymore, laminated plants of wood glued into recangular blocks and planed down to a cylinder type shape, slightly bowed...and they chuck those instead...most disappointed
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

There was a load of people down there who had set up tents with clan names on them, as soon as they heard my accent they would start telling me what clan they were in. I had my little fun by asking them all how many times they had been to Scotland, in a very polite manner of course.
I noticed that too...was kind of amusing and fun..."international clan heads" and what have you...but my thinking is, if you either weren't born or grew up there, or your folks weren't born or grew up there, you ain't from there...but I didn't say that of course
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bob
They don't throw logs anymore, laminated plants of wood glued into recangular blocks and planed down to a cylinder type shape, slightly bowed...and they chuck those instead...most disappointed
Welly tossing requires great dexterity and skill mind.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by gardnma
Welly tossing requires great dexterity and skill mind.
speaking off, one of the events was hilarious, glorified bale tossing, throwing a weighted bag over a bar, everyone but one bloke was able to clear the bar, he missed it by miles, didn't help that the first bloke was a pro so use to a much heavier bag, but he almost doubled the height...

amusing thing about the bloke that couldn't do it, well the bag went horizontally and almost took out a row of people in the crowd
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:33 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

They're on in St.Louis in 2 weeks.I think we're going to go.Should be an amusing day out.
The Dunoon games was a big one at home.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

When we went to one I burst in to tears watching the pipers, very strange being as I'm not Scottish.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:37 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

When we went to one I burst in to tears watching the pipers, very strange being as I'm not Scottish.
The bagpipes always bring a lump to my throat.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by clydegirl
The bagpipes always bring a lump to my throat.
My Hub's took alot of tapes to listen to while settling down in his rack at night, bagpipes and Celtic sounds, he said it really helps to drift away to la la land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.