Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Hello, I moved to America

Wikiposts

Hello, I moved to America

Old Jul 27th 2017, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello, I moved to America

Originally Posted by PC01
I'd love a list of those places if you have time, I travel more or less constantly and will come across at least 1 or 2 of them before long.

A sense of humour helps. I recommend it thoroughly.
Moaning about beer, sausages and curry is funny? Has been repeated since day one of BE.

Lets say we have different ideas on what's funny. I find to find the humor in any of your post.
Self professed funnymen are usually the least funny.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 3:18 pm
ech

PC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to behold

I think the thing that lead me to this forum was searching for a place to buy cheese and onion walkers, so it's what was on my mind at the time.

John do you think you can stop being so depressingly defensive? You don't need to click on this thread mate.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 3:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

NYC, so it's pretty seasonal here. Those 30 seconds getting out of an airconditioned car into an air conditioned building are a killer though.
LOL you are so funny. I worked in Manhattan for 40 years. Walked from Grand Central to the Empire State Building for 18 of those years in the winter, summer, spring and fall. Not all that bad in any season.

Want hot summers, try going from the car to the mall down here in Mississippi with 101 degree heat and a humidity nearly matching that. Or Texas or Florida or Louisiana.

Knew you Brits were a soft lot
Old Jul 27th 2017, 3:28 pm
ech

PC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to behold

Thin blooded if you don't mind! I spent a few weeks in Vegas one summer 6 or 7 years ago and thought it had acclimatized me for life, but I'm back to being an ice man. Roll on Fall I say!
Old Jul 27th 2017, 3:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I think the thing that lead me to this forum was searching for a place to buy cheese and onion walkers, so it's what was on my mind at the time.

John do you think you can stop being so depressingly defensive? You don't need to click on this thread mate.
Take Metro North to Woodlawn (not in the summer though too hot for you to walk to McLean Avenue in Yonkers to Veronica's Deli and you can buy your cheese, walkers, crisps, roses, salad cream, bistro, bird's custard, hobnobs, and lots more and then go next door to the Butcher's Fancy and buy your sausage and British/Irish bacon and steak and kidney pie.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 3:34 pm
ech

I rarely venture up that way, but that's going to have to change now. Thanks!
Old Jul 27th 2017, 5:43 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Been here for a year, and I miss everything.

Telly, steak and kidney puddings, proper cheese, electric kettles, rainy summers, sausages, terraced houses, country pubs, pints of real ale, chicken and leek pie, gin and tonic, trains, and curry.

I yearn for these things with a gaping heart.

You alright?
You miss em for awhile but eventually like all things they melt into the past. I say that from 43 years here in the US. When I go back to the UK I now feel like a bit of a foreigner. It's only familiar places that I now identify with. Everything else has changed so much since I left.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 5:49 pm
ech

And here's me still trying to pull out onto the wrong side of the road.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 11:08 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Hi PC, welcome to BE.

Get yourself an induction stove and an old-fashioned stove-top kettle and you will never yearn for an electric kettle again. It will boil faster than any electric kettle and you can boil as little as a few ounces of water if you want.
Heathen.

You'll be suggesting tea in those "bag" things next.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Heathen.

You'll be suggesting tea in those "bag" things next.
Yeah, and then who will no what's going to happen when poor old Ethel can't read the leaves
Old Jul 28th 2017, 12:53 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
.... You'll be suggesting tea in those "bag" things next.
Our tea isn't in bags, it is in "pyramids", .... which are actually tetrahedrons, but that wouldn't sounds as snappy.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
You miss em for awhile but eventually like all things they melt into the past. I say that from 43 years here in the US. When I go back to the UK I now feel like a bit of a foreigner. It's only familiar places that I now identify with. Everything else has changed so much since I left.
As one who has lived here not quite as long as you (39 years), I can echo what you say!
Old Jul 28th 2017, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Rainy summers? Come to the Pacific Northwest, although not this year. We are on day 40 of no rain here right now.
It rained yesterday in this part of PNW.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 2:50 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Our tea isn't in bags, it is in "pyramids", .... which are actually tetrahedrons, but that wouldn't sounds as snappy.
Granny Nutek would NOT approve.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 4:18 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
LOL you are so funny. I worked in Manhattan for 40 years. Walked from Grand Central to the Empire State Building for 18 of those years in the winter, summer, spring and fall. Not all that bad in any season.

Want hot summers, try going from the car to the mall down here in Mississippi with 101 degree heat and a humidity nearly matching that. Or Texas or Florida or Louisiana.

Knew you Brits were a soft lot
soft??? HAH! I lived in Scotland for 8 years...

Why don't they plant more trees for shade in those car parks?
OP, I live in Austin TX. at least 100f every freaking day for the last 2 or 3 weeks.
My local Ikea has a multi-story car park. ie you can park inside it, in the shade and come back to a car which hasn't been broiled by the afternoon sun. Nobody uses it!! It's a 60 second walk and it's not directly outside the store. Give me strength - everyone's driving round and round the car park trying to get within 50ft of the door.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.