hello

Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default hello

hi all
Ive just discovered this site and am just delighted to have stumbled across it. I have a finance visa pending- applied in march (im from the UK - fiance US -) we are going to marry and live in the US

2 qs please

i will be living in california- does anyone know how long i have to be in the country before i can marry - i know i have 90 days on entry but want to marry within my first week if poss-

last q for now - once i am married i have been told i cant leave the usa without a travel permit- well i can leave but it will be hard to get back in. i need to come home to visit elderly relative - do i apply for a travel permit and how long will it take

many thanks and looking forward to getting to know you all!
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hello

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
i will be living in california- does anyone know how long i have to be in the country before i can marry - i know i have 90 days on entry but want to marry within my first week if poss-
You can marry anytime within those 90 days. You can marry on day 1, day 90, or any time in between.

last q for now - once i am married i have been told i cant leave the usa without a travel permit- well i can leave but it will be hard to get back in. i need to come home to visit elderly relative - do i apply for a travel permit and how long will it take
Not only hard to get back in, but impossible. If you leave the USA after filing AOS but before obtaining the AP document, you will abandon the AOS process, and will have to remain outside the USA to apply for an immigrant visa to return permanently.

AP is applied for using form I-131, which is submitted as part of your AOS package after marriage. It takes about 60 days to get AP in hand. Lately, the AOS interview is coming up even before the EAD or AP documents get processed!

If you are lucky enough to get your green card before your AP document, then you no longer need AP. Your green card allows you to return to the USA.

many thanks and looking forward to getting to know you all!
Likewise!

Rene
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for your quick reply - i must check what all the terms mean
AOS - adjustment of status and AP - is that the approval?

so just to clarify i apply for an AOS straight after marriage - and this takes approx 60 days to come thro and this is my travel and work permit??

i only want to visit the uk for a week or so every couple of months - once i have the travel permit is it ok to do so ---?
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for your quick reply - i must check what all the terms mean
AOS - adjustment of status and AP - is that the approval?
AOS = Adjustment of Status
AP = Advance Parole (the travel document)
For more acronyms, see here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/US_Visa_Glossary

so just to clarify i apply for an AOS straight after marriage - and this takes approx 60 days to come thro and this is my travel and work permit??
You apply for AOS after marriage, yes, whenever you have everything in the AOS package ready. It takes about 60 days after filing AOS to get AP in hand (the travel document), and about 90 days to get the EAD in hand (work authorization). But, USCIS has been speeding up lately, and many people are having the AOS interview and getting the green card, before the AP or EAD come through. Once you have your green card in hand, you no longer need the AP or EAD.

i only want to visit the uk for a week or so every couple of months - once i have the travel permit is it ok to do so ---?
Yes, that is fine.

Rene
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

thank you both so very much
Old Jun 14th 2010, 11:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Have you had enough caffine today? Apparently not, as only one person responded to you and that was noorah101 a/k/a Rene
Old Jun 15th 2010, 2:54 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I think she was thanking Rene's cat too
Old Jun 15th 2010, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Silly me!!! need lots of coffee to keep me awake!!! whoever replied - and however many of you thank you!
Old Jun 17th 2010, 7:33 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

In Vegas, I guess, but most states have a day or three waiting period after issuing the marriage license before the marriage can take place?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You can marry on day 1,
Old Jun 17th 2010, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
In Vegas, I guess, but most states have a day or three waiting period after issuing the marriage license before the marriage can take place?

Regards, JEff
In Vegas, I guess....

And Arizona. We got our marriage license at 3:00 pm and were married at 5:00 pm the same day.

But yes, it's State-specific.

Rene
Old Jun 17th 2010, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks for the info - I was just curious as i did read somewhere that you had to register first before marriage and be in the country and it can take up to a month to get the licence!!! it was the wrong info tho

I want to arrive - and get married the same week!! I have been told that each state has different laws
Old Jun 17th 2010, 11:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the info - I was just curious as i did read somewhere that you had to register first before marriage and be in the country and it can take up to a month to get the licence!!! it was the wrong info tho

I want to arrive - and get married the same week!! I have been told that each state has different laws
So... let's start with *where are you going to get married*?

Then we can have a reasonable discussion.. this is getting crazy!
Old Jun 17th 2010, 11:50 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
So... let's start with *where are you going to get married*?

Then we can have a reasonable discussion.. this is getting crazy!
In fact, save yourself some trouble.. just google "marriage license" + cityname and you should get it.
Some places it's the county which issues it, others are different.
And, this would be a really obvious thing for your US partner to look into. Since they presumably live where you want to marry.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meauxna
In fact, save yourself some trouble.. just google "marriage license" + cityname and you should get it.
Some places it's the county which issues it, others are different.
And, this would be a really obvious thing for your US partner to look into. Since they presumably live where you want to marry.

thanks for the link ---good info
im getting married in eureka CA and will be living there as well. My fiancee is looking into it and when I holiday in july im going to go to the court house (we are having a civil wedding) to find out all the info first hand

appeciate you advice