Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance Whinge!

Wikiposts

Health Insurance Whinge!

Old Aug 6th 2016, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance Whinge!

Originally Posted by Pulaski
For most Americans wages have been stagnant for 20-25 years!
The trend has become more pronounced in the last few years, with actual losses (in real terms) for lower wage earners and any increases accruing overwhelmingly to top earners.
Old Aug 7th 2016, 9:41 am

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I don't think it even shows that. It shows that salaries haven't kept up with health insurance costs. That's mainly due to stagnation in wages post the financial crisis as opposed to an increased rate of premium/health cost increases post ACA. It doesn't tell us anything about health cost inflation pre- versus post- the ACA provisions coming into force.

Old Aug 7th 2016, 9:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So what was the increase for those who do not self identify as male or female?
Old Aug 7th 2016, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

"Slower premium growth under Obama"

Slower Premium Growth Under Obama

http://www.politifact.com/florida/st...ng-under-obam/
Old Aug 8th 2016, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit
I believe that any reduction in health care costs have been all but invisible to the average Joe. As a percentage of wages, which I believe is what really matters, these figures speak for themselves
http://blogs-images.forbes.com/theap...iumBurden1.png

Forbes Welcome
It shows that the Obamacare had no effect on the continually increasing costs of healthcare, you could draw a nearly straight line through if you ignore the blip drop in 2010, the blip that only serves to make the line afterwards look much steeper.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 4:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if part of the increase in premiums is due to the increase in the number of people changing to HD policies?

The incentive, as I have often written here on BE, is that low to moderate users of healthcare services have been overpaying for insurance given the amount they claim, and HD insurance greatly reduces the premiums compared to "traditional" health insurance. So people on HD policies are paying much less into the insurance "pot", leaving those who are high users of health care services to have to pay more of their share.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I wonder if part of the increase in premiums is due to the increase in the number of people changing to HD policies?

The incentive, as I have often written here on BE, is that low to moderate users of healthcare services have been overpaying for insurance given the amount they claim, and HD insurance greatly reduces the premiums compared to "traditional" health insurance. So people on HD policies are paying much less into the insurance "pot", leaving those who are high users of health care services to have to pay more of their share.
That was one of the criticisms of HD policies when they were first brought in.

Thinbrit's link provides no supporting rationale and as such is essentially useless. But I suspect that the claimed increase between 2013 and 2014 is largely because the 2013 "average" would have included all those minimal policies that provided essentially useless coverage and which were outlawed by the ACA. In other words, I doubt it's comparing like to like.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 5:58 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
BCBS also dropped Providence/St Josephs for next year. It happens on cycles. Hermann Memorial may now take BCBS again.
You were right, I just checked and they are on the list. I tell you what the amount of unnecessary paperwork that the doctors and hospitals spew out, you would think they would try and keep their patients and previous patients informed. I remember calling for an appointment and being told they no longer accepted BCBS (can't quite recall if I got a letter, I might have) but I guess they don't need the business if they didn't bother to let me know they were accepting them again. As I said we are not heavy users so seeing a different doctor every time kiddo has an ear infection or strep throat doesn't really bother me, but I don't really want to see a new doctor every time for the more *ahem* personal stuff.

Saying that MIL has been in hospital in UK for coming up for 5 weeks and seen countless doctors and nurses all of whom she has to explain her multiple conditions to every time they come to visit. She went in with severe RA pain, ended up being rushed down with *almost* kidney failure, low platelets, liver problems, a bed sore that refuses to heal and MRSA - so I'll try to stop whingeing.

Stand by for October/November when the new plans/premiums are revealed....
Old Aug 9th 2016, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just thankful I'm not a young person with expensive education, housing and healthcare, low wages and looking forward to no retirement income.