Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Have I waited too long to book flights?

Have I waited too long to book flights?

Old Mar 8th 2016, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have I waited too long to book flights?

Plans have been up in the air for my Mum to come and see me and now the flights seem ridiculous.
I'm looking for one that arrives at West Palm Beach (PBI) from Manchester (MAN) on March 26th, preferably in the evening.
The return is anything similar on April 11th.

She's terrified of flying so I'm trying to avoid any with more than 1 change but I can't find anything less than 700quid or $1000

Could any of you kind British Expats help me out?
Old Mar 8th 2016, 12:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have I waited too long to book flights?

Probably won't find too many deals at this point, I'd imagine next week you will see increases as you get within a week of the 26th, Easter that weekend probably isn't helping reduce demand.

I wouldn't count on fares falling at this point.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 12:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Using those dates cheapest I can find is 648 UK Pound for 2 stops and 786 UK pound for 1 stop.

I used ebookers.com and Kayak for pricing.

Demand appears high on both dates, maybe try alternate dates?
Old Mar 8th 2016, 3:10 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Less than three weeks ahead, you have left it to the last minute for half decent prices. I usually aim to book around 8-10 weeks ahead of transatlantic flights.

That said those prices are pretty good IMO, and I would snap them up for trip to the UK (opposite direction).

Flights from the UK are a bit cheaper, but with the fall in the value of the pound pushing up the GBP cost of fuel, I still think that £700 is a good deal.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 8th 2016 at 3:13 am.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Always amusing to see the breakdown of ticket and all the charges.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 10:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Boston Brits group on FB were mentioning Thomas Cook doing deals for $500 in June for Manchester and Iceland Air were doing flights for $550 mark.

Heading out of Boston might not make it all that practical and I don't know about Easter flights.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 10:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Using Skyscanner, I can get it down to £594 with one stop. It's a long stopover on the way out though, but with a shorter stop it jumps up to £660.

Alternatively, if her dates are flexible at all, then if you use the calendar on Skyscanner and search for the whole months, you can get it down to £550 with only one short stop by going a few days later.

As as it looks like Fort Lauderdale isn't too far away, it's worth checking flights to there as well - Norwegian has flights going close to the dates you mentioned direct from LGW to FL for £670. A train ride to London first obviously, but it would save her having to change at all and get her there quicker.

Don't know if you have something like Topcashback or Quidco in the US, but if you do then don't forget to use that to save a bit more money off the fare.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 8th 2016 at 10:42 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 11:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Always amusing to see the breakdown of ticket and all the charges.
We paid $275 per ticket two years ago for CLT-LHR ..... and $700 of fees and taxes.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 1:25 am
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pulaski
We paid $275 per ticket two years ago for CLT-LHR ..... and $700 of fees and taxes.
Last minute in December same flight wanted almost $2500, thankfully I had 40,000 airmiles and taxes was only $193.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by fsm
Last minute in December same flight wanted almost $2500, thankfully I had 40,000 airmiles and taxes was only $193.
We paid $1,100ish last December.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

I ended up booking through iEagle for around $1100, though they're still making me jump through hoops before issuing a ticket. I don't think they liked my English card
Old Mar 9th 2016, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you for your help everyone