THe Hatton Fight

Old Dec 11th 2007, 4:56 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default THe Hatton Fight

Well, where did you watch it?

I called every bar I could think of and nobody was willing to show it. I ended up chatting to a bunch of large black men in my local who looked for all the world like rappers (designer clothers. lots of gold, not the usual for this neighbourhood where everyone wears tacky Tupac T-shirts even a kid wouldnt be seen dead in back home).

I called them the next day and asked if they had the fight. The guy says yeah man, come around, here's the address. I got the wife to drop me off. took a few beers and found a nice house with three escalades in the front yard. Didn't ask what they do for a living lol, but had a bleedin great time. Three of them were from Grand Rapids and I am from Manchester so that was a fun and weird situation.

All in all had a great night and met some really nice people (who I am sure work for the city or something lol). I didn't leave till gone 2am. Met the wives. their kids, and friends and family. It was really nice to be invited round by a bunch of people who don't know me from adam and treated like an old friend.

It just shows you really, take everyone as you find them and you might get to see the big fight lol. (I think Hatton did great by the way).
Old Dec 11th 2007, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: THe Hatton Fight

Around here you'd be hard pressed to know there was a fight, it made the back page of Sundays paper.
Can you image the fuss there would have been in the UK if Hatton had won. The whole thing was a non event here, even though Mayweather won.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 5:16 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
Around here you'd be hard pressed to know there was a fight, it made the back page of Sundays paper.
Can you image the fuss there would have been in the UK if Hatton had won. The whole thing was a non event here, even though Mayweather won.
Very bizarre. Most of the bars I called that day had no idea what I was on about. (sigh)
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:11 am
Just Joined

Brit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really nice

Originally Posted by Silly Sod

(I think Hatton did great by the way).
He was embarrassingly outclassed. Total mismatch.

You don't know jack about boxing if you think getting knocked tit over arse in the tenth round after 9 rounds of being jabbed silly and not landing one telling blow of your own is "doing great"
Old Dec 11th 2007, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
Very bizarre. Most of the bars I called that day had no idea what I was on about. (sigh)
Its that lack of national identity thing with the US. There's no national news, no big stories affecting everyone (at least not what are constantly banged on about like here in the UK). There are not 2 choices for news in the US on TV, more like 200.

Was out on Saturday night in Lincoln with my childhood mates, everyone in town practically had some comment about the fight.

Pleased you found somewhere to watch it though, sounds like it was fun!
Old Dec 11th 2007, 12:46 pm
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by Brit_far_from_home
He was embarrassingly outclassed. Total mismatch.

You don't know jack about boxing if you think getting knocked tit over arse in the tenth round after 9 rounds of being jabbed silly and not landing one telling blow of your own is "doing great"
Miserable sod
Old Dec 11th 2007, 12:48 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Its that lack of national identity thing with the US. There's no national news, no big stories affecting everyone (at least not what are constantly banged on about like here in the UK). There are not 2 choices for news in the US on TV, more like 200.
That and the fact that boxing has been Pay Per Viewed into obscurity. Back in the 70s, when Sugar Ray had a fight, or Ali, or something like that it was over the air, free to all and watched by millions. Now you have to pay $75 or something to see a match and many folks just say 'forget it'.

There was some coverage, it was the 3 or 4th story on ESPN Sportscenter the next morning.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 1:30 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

My brother in law and I watched it on Pay Per View with big glasses of Johnn ywalker blue (still not nearly as exciting as Silly Sod's story!)

I thought it was a great fight - when it kicked off, I thought Hatton was a dead cert. He KEPT forcing Mayweather into the ropes.

But then Mayweather defended against most of Hatton's punches, held his distance and when he did strike...

POW! Hard, accurate and right in the kisser.

By the eighth round, we guessed Hatton couldn't stand up to many of those powerful punches and that's why he went down.

I thought he was scrappy and courageous, though - and if he'd been lucky and Mayweather hadn't been so accurate, he could have won it.

At the end of the day, though, Mayweather is an AWESOME boxer and performed with textbook skill.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
That and the fact that boxing has been Pay Per Viewed into obscurity. Back in the 70s, when Sugar Ray had a fight, or Ali, or something like that it was over the air, free to all and watched by millions. Now you have to pay $75 or something to see a match and many folks just say 'forget it'.

There was some coverage, it was the 3 or 4th story on ESPN Sportscenter the next morning.
As it been in the UK nowadays with Sky. The difference is that it the build up and results still make for top billing on the national news wheras in the US, as you say, its 3rd or 4th on ESPN.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 5:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's doing the rounds on the torrent sites and probably be replayed on tele next week..comcast for me, though I did download the Khan fight as the stream for that died just as they were entering the arena and then when it started up again, the stream got switched off as the fight was over
Old Dec 11th 2007, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

YorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to all

Well, where did you watch it?

I called every bar I could think of and nobody was willing to show it. I ended up chatting to a bunch of large black men in my local who looked for all the world like rappers (designer clothers. lots of gold, not the usual for this neighbourhood where everyone wears tacky Tupac T-shirts even a kid wouldnt be seen dead in back home).

I called them the next day and asked if they had the fight. The guy says yeah man, come around, here's the address. I got the wife to drop me off. took a few beers and found a nice house with three escalades in the front yard. Didn't ask what they do for a living lol, but had a bleedin great time. Three of them were from Grand Rapids and I am from Manchester so that was a fun and weird situation.

All in all had a great night and met some really nice people (who I am sure work for the city or something lol). I didn't leave till gone 2am. Met the wives. their kids, and friends and family. It was really nice to be invited round by a bunch of people who don't know me from adam and treated like an old friend.

It just shows you really, take everyone as you find them and you might get to see the big fight lol. (I think Hatton did great by the way).
For future reference, in case you're ever struggling to find any sporting event, install one of the programs from this site and watch stuff for FREE!!!

http://www.myp2p.eu/

That's quite a story to tell your friends back home! I agree though, take people as you find them...
Old Dec 11th 2007, 7:17 pm
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by YorkshirePudding
For future reference, in case you're ever struggling to find any sporting event, install one of the programs from this site and watch stuff for FREE!!!

http://www.myp2p.eu/

That's quite a story to tell your friends back home! I agree though, take people as you find them...
Thanks for that. I will take a look. It isn't really an exciting story though I don't think. I was just kind of happy to have made some new (possible) frends and to be taken at face value myself by them. It is easy to get isolated here at times I think, so now and then you have to go out on a limb and trust that people are, hopefully, more good than bad. The evening was more fun than the actual fight
Old Dec 11th 2007, 11:12 pm
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

I was just kind of happy to have made some new (possible) frends
Woah steady there Sod. Don't forget they are American; you will never see or hear from them again. They probably hated you and you would never know it. Oh well, at least you got to see the flight
Old Dec 11th 2007, 11:19 pm
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by dukeynorton
Woah steady there Sod. Don't forget they are American; you will never see or hear from them again. They probably hated you and you would never know it. Oh well, at least you got to see the flight
Bastard americans - now i think about it you are right, sneaky bunch of twats!!!!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

polar_bear is a jewel in the roughpolar_bear is a jewel in the roughpolar_bear is a jewel in the roughpolar_bear is a jewel in the rough

I paid the scandalous $55 on PPV and had some people round (all American) to watch it. Imagine my pride when the English fans booed through the American national anthem Other than that, an enjoyable event.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.